2003 Tacoma
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
im not sure if the front speakers are round, I dont think that they are

·
Registered
2000 Tundra
72 Posts
i found a forum that has TONS of info on car audio, the guys are really knowledgeable (sometimes a little too much and it can become confusing, just be sure you dont ask questions that are too general because you'll get overloaded with confusing answers).
www.caraudiocentral.net - those guys should be able to answer any question you could ever think of.

·
trd04taco
2004 Tacoma 4WD TRD
476 Posts
They are 5x7/6x8 size. Some speaker mfgr's list them as both sizes, but they are the same. You'll need an install kit for the aftermarket deck. It includes a new harness and double DIN adapter. You can get the kit online or from most car audio stores. On the speakers, you'll need to make sure the mounting depth isn't too much for the stock openings. If they're slightly too deep of a speaker, you can fix it by making a spacer and trimming a little plastic like I did. Look on Crutchfield.com for info on the mounting depths allowed on our trucks. You'll be happy with the Pioneer - they make pretty good stuff. I just soldered on the stock speaker connectors onto the new speakers so I can disconnect them like stock.

·
Registered
2003 Tacoma
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks but I have a few more questions.

1. On the pinoneer website are the speakers sold seperately like just one or do they come in pairs

2. How do I know how much power I have for my speakers so i know which speakers my truck can handle without an amp

3. What is the difference between 4 and 5 way speakers

·
Registered
1996 Tacoma 4X4
54 Posts
The power you have is determined by your head unit, the one you're looking at is 50W x 4 which means it can supply 4 speakers, 50W each. A 4 way speaker for example breaks the sound into 4 ranges by frequency with the higher ones going to the tweeter, the lower ones going to the woofer, with the remaining middle going to 2 mid ranges. From what I know the amount of drivers(ways) isn't directly related to sound quality, listen to the speaker and see what sounds best to you. I don't think you'd need an additional amp unless you wanted to go with a sub. The stereo should come with a harness that plugs into the back of the stereo, you should be able to buy a harness that fits into the harness that you will remove from your stock stereo(factory wiring), wire the 2 together, there should be directions telling what color wire is what. Its just a Toyota to Pioneer adaptor. I swapped out the stock sound system for a Pioneer DEH6700 with four 6.5" Memphis 3-way rounds. Its sounds great, no matter how high I turn up the volume it stays clear and no bass muffling. I had to make adapters beacuse the hole pattern on the speakers didn't match the stock mounting holes.

·
trd04taco
2004 Tacoma 4WD TRD
476 Posts
1) Speakers are always sold in pairs except subs.
2) Any deck gives the RMS watts and Max watts. Look for speakers that have bigger numbers than those. Most aftermarket speakers should handle the wattage from a deck (except cheap-ass ones). It's the bass from the head unit that will distort your speakers. If you don't buy an deck without a built-in crossover, you will probably get distortion when you turn up the colume and bass unless you install "bass blockers". You will just have to adjust the sound settings on the deck so you won't distort the speakers.
3) Most aftermarket speakers are 2-ways - meaning that there is a seperate tweater attached somewhere to it, usually in the middle. 3-ways have 2 seperate tweaters attached to the speaker (for different freq. ranges). 4-ways are usually only seen in 6X9's, but they have a woofer, mid-range, and two ranges of tweaters all connected together. I've never heard of or seen 5-ways.
Your other option (considered the best option for sound quality), is component speakers. These have a seperate external crossover and a tweater that mounts at a more ideal location than at your feet, where the mid-bass mounts.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts