Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Jackofallmasterofnone
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone having problems with there autodimming mirror not dimming. I think the rear headrest are blocking the light to the sensor so it is not seeing the light to dim. They should have put the sensor on top of the mirror. Anyone else having this problem.

Speedy Blue

·
Out in the Garage
99 Posts
Speedway blue said:
Anyone having problems with there autodimming mirror not dimming. I think the rear headrest are blocking the light to the sensor so it is not seeing the light to dim. They should have put the sensor on top of the mirror. Anyone else having this problem.

Speedy Blue
Mine works just fine, headrest or no. I did pull that center one out though, as I hated having it block my vision.

Dumb Question - Are you sure it (the mirror) didn't get turned off?

·
Lon
59 Posts
Autodimming mirror...

Speedway blue said:

Speedy Blue

Do you have a dark tinted rear window?
If so, maybe it affects the mirror's light sensor.

·
Jackofallmasterofnone
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It is not turned off and the tint in the back is factory. On a dark road with a car behind you, you can see the light line and actually move the mirror so it catches the light from the vehicle behind you and watch it dim. The only problem is the mirror is pretty much useless then.

Speedy blue

·
Surfing TN via iPhone
05 Tacoma DC 4x4 TRD
10,653 Posts
I have an aftermarket homelink mirror and it does a great job of dimming when cars are behind me. Plus I have my windows tinted, so it's pretty dark in my truck.

I can tell when it is dimming because everything turns kind of blue in the mirror. It takes the mirror a couple seconds to respond once a car pulls behind me.

Works great though.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I have the nightvision mirror and haven't had any trouble with it. I really like it, in fact.

I notice that every time I start my truck, it comes on. Guess it's programmed to do that and stay on, unless I turn it off.

Also, I haven't noticed it doing anything different when a car comes in behind me. Instead, I just notice that looking into it doesn't blind me like a normal rearview mirror normally does. There isn't the strong glare you get with a normal mirror. I guess if it's on, it's always on?

Next time I'm out at night, I'll try turning it off and seeing how much difference there is.

I wish the side mirrors had that bluish tint that the BMWs have...I think this would help cut glare from these mirrors.

·
Official Misfit
1,453 Posts
hmm, i don't have that feature, but did not notice any issues tonight on the highway.

now in the ol' sports car, its a completly different ball game. a miata gives me problems then

·
Jackofallmasterofnone
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Okay I think I found the problem. I removed the center head rest on the back seat yesterday. Drove around last night and it dimmed like it was supposed to. I think it was just blocking the light to the sensor. It blocks my veiw when backing up anyway so I will just leave it off.

speedy blue

·
Engine 80 is in service
'10 FJ Cruiser 4x4
1,040 Posts
One of my small peeves about the Tacoma is the placement of the mirror. Seems like it should be higher on the windshield. :dunno:

·
Registered
375 Posts
10SE said:
One of my small peeves about the Tacoma is the placement of the mirror. Seems like it should be higher on the windshield. :dunno:

I've always thought that too. I'm not a terribly tall guy (5'11" tops) but it seems like it's right in my way.

TL

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.