Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an AE92 sedan (the slow one) with an auto trans and no tachometer.. does anyone know how far past redline the fuel cut is, and if I'm doing any damage to the engine by hitting it aside from excessive wear (I think it's a 4A-FE)? When I floor it, it usually shifts out of 1st at about 33mph (53kph) and 2nd at 63mph (101kph). If I use L and 2 on the shift lever, it cuts off fuel in 1st at 45mph (72kph) and 2nd at 75mph (121kph). I'm wondering what RPM those speeds correlate to.

The reason I want to know is because I have to drive on very steep and long hills and despite power dropping after it reaches peak, I still find I get more power revving higher past redline in the lower gear than in the next gear, and it's useful in emergencies as long as I'm not crashing pistons into valves or anything.

Thanks for any info.

·
Registered
174 Posts
well i have a 4a-F and its revs 6500 in 2nd gear and its does about 115kmp in 2nd gear. With no problem at all no valve bounce, missing nothing it just revs clean.

·
Registered
5,036 Posts
hmm, must be an auto.... that sounded WAY off to me for a minute there....

·
Registered
174 Posts
Yes guys its an automatic and the figures are correct. and I have another engine headthat i have dubble valve springs installed so i would see how that will work out but if all goes well my machanic says he doesn't see why i can't rev at lease at 7000 rpm
:D

·
Registered
5,036 Posts
120km/h with a manual is a little high there...... what are you revving at?

my smallport goes up to 70mph in 2nd gear (which is already ridiculously high) and that's at 7800rpm's with a c52

·
Registered
5,036 Posts
that's strange.... because the c50 and c52 mr2's can't even do 60mph in 2nd gear at 7500rpm's.... i'm curious if you have longer gears in your transmission

·
Resident asshole
Corolla
9,552 Posts
No they should be the same. Unless the Mr2 has the same tranny as the GTi corolla which would have a shorter final drive.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts