Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
5spd FTW!
1985 Toyota Corolla
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, new guy here. I'm looking to pick up a cheap camry all trac soon, but it is an auto and the motor might be bad. basically, i was wondering if any of you with camry all tracs can give me any suggestions about how to attack the 3sgte + manual tranny swap. should i lookinto a JDM motor and tranny from a Celica GT4/Alltrac? which generation? what might I be looking at as far as pricing/shipping is concerned? thanks for the help.

·
Ex-Master Diagnostic tech
15 Ram 1500 Diesel
443 Posts
You want to swap in a 3sgt-e into a camry? let me ask you this, do you have the knowledge, fabrication skills etc necessary? Your best bet is to buy a all trac celica as well and swap it all. Everything is different including wiring, ecm etc.

·
5spd FTW!
1985 Toyota Corolla
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm aware that there will be wiring that needs to be done, as well as exhaust and engine management, and some fabrication. I haven't bought anything yet, but from the small amount of searching I've done, the swap of a 3sgte into a gen2 camry has already been done by more than a few people.
Also, I've done a auto-manual swap on a few other cars before, so that isn't going to be a problem. What I'm really looking for help on is whether or not a celica alltrac tranny will work with the camry alltrac drivetrain, and where to import one from (the motor, tranny, harness, ecu)

·
Pochacco Owns Me
3,122 Posts
you're going to need a celica all-trac front clip with a 5spd tranny + full harness + ecu ....shifter linkages out of a 5spd camry...V6 camry axles...not to mention other misc parts.. like clutch..belts and stuff needs to be replaced from the clip.... front clips are usually 2500-3000$ who knows how much shipping will be another 500$ is a safe bet... if you do all the work yourself then your total is just the parts i suppose.. count on another 3k if you need a shop to do it.

·
5spd FTW!
1985 Toyota Corolla
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
cool, cool. that's the kind of useful/helpful info i'm looking for. thanks atobe. btw, like the sig, you a big fan of that movie "Wh@t the B!eep do We Know?"

·
3s-gte in a Camry?!?
'89 Camry Alltrac
9,093 Posts
If you can do wiring and know how to an auto to manual swap, you can do the 3s-gte swap in your Alltrac. Its not an easy task, but it can be done. The mounts line up, etc. I've done the 3s-gte swap into a FWD Camry, and I'll be moving all those parts over to my Alltrac Camry sometime this year... The stock rear diff is compatible with the 3s-gte manual transmission.

-Charlie

·
Ex-Master Diagnostic tech
15 Ram 1500 Diesel
443 Posts
I agree on the front clip. I am not sure on the rear axle ratio though. As I recall the gearing was different.

·
Not so Noob now!
571 Posts
My wife wants an alltrac automatic. I have an alltrac stick. I might be willing to part with my stick alltrac if there is a reasonable trade to be worked out. That would cut the difficulty level of a swap down a bit for you...

Shot with Canon EOS DIGITAL REBEL at 2007-08-10

Shot with Canon EOS DIGITAL REBEL at 2007-08-10

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.