Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 119 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed a Gentex auto-dimming mirror yesterday in my Camry LE.
It is the 2006 model with compass and Homelink - no temp readout since that is already on the Camry.
The installation was very easy and the Ebay seller that I bought it from was extremely helpful. I highly recommend buying from him.
Bring on the questions!

Here is a pic of it installed:

·
07 Camry SE V6
274 Posts
nice
where you got the power from? did you use the universal harness?
pre wired? like some people asked?
Where you got the mirror? did it come with tthe wire cover or was that additional part?

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, I will start with the wiring.
I used the harness included with the mirror.
It has 3 wires - one black ground, one yellow CONSTANT power, and one red SWITCHED power.
On my LE, I did not find it being prewired at all for the mirror.
Maybe the XLE is - I don't know.
The 2 wires up behind the overhead console are for the reading lights and they are on constant power.
Therefore, I tapped the yellow wire from the mirror to one of those.
The red and black wires I ran down the left 'A' pillar to the fusebox under the steering column.
There is already a ground bolt under the fusebox for the ground wire.
The red (Switched) power wire I tapped into one of the wires on the fusebox.
I used a multimeter to find the correct wire.

As far as the wire cover goes, it wasnt included from the seller but I emailed him and he threw it in for no charge. :D
The length of the wire cover by the way is 4.5 inches.

Hope this helps.

·
Don't get mad. Get even.
1,778 Posts
Hey that one is nicer than the one that I have in my XLE, hahahaha LOOKS good
What are the working futures that you have on the mirror, other than compass, auto-dimmer and Homelink???

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, I am VERY happy with the deal that I got on it.
$200 - brand new it is $350.

The only features are those listed.
No Temp sensor since we do not need it.

·
Matt "Mr. Wizard" Price
101 Posts
Looks great whitenoize! Can you post a link to the ebay dealer you used?

And if you have time write up a complete install guide? I've been wanting to do this for a while, but now that you have figured out the wiring I think its time to give it a shot!

Specifically, which fuse did you tap in the fusebox for the switched (red wire) power?

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The seller that I purchased from has the ID of 'ddave57'.Like I said, a very friendly guy. He is willing to assist with installation when possible.I will try to do a write-up on the install tonight.

·
Matt "Mr. Wizard" Price
101 Posts
hey whitenoize, is this the same seller and unit you were talking about? looks like the same unit and dealer... price is $224. Do you think he might be willing to do a discount or group buy if we get some people interested? (my last post of a group buy wasn't all that hot... lol... didn't realize stereo dash kits had so much mark up! good thing I didn't buy one!)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/06-Toyota-Gentex-Homelink-Compass-Dim-Mirror-Kit_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33699QQihZ020QQitemZ300020339949QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes, that is the same seller and same mirror.
I got mine for 200 because it had a couple of small scratches on it.
He doesn't have an Ebay store but he may be willing to do a group special.
Wouldn't hurt to ask him.

Tell him that the Ebay user 'Toydarian' referred you.

·
Matt "Mr. Wizard" Price
101 Posts
Anyone else interested in a group buy / discount? I have emailed the ebay seller and ask if he would be willing. Also gave him a link to the forum so he can check out this thread. If you are interested, post a quick reply so we can get a head count.

Thanks again whitenoize for the great find! This is going to be a great replacement for the crappy dongle from my apartment complex! I'll be able to open the gate and the garage without worrying about the cheap thing dying.

·
Matt "Mr. Wizard" Price
101 Posts
I just got an email back from Dave, the ebay dealer Whitenoize got the mirror from... He only has 3 left (2004-2005 model) and he said they are in perfect condition. He can sell them for $190 which includes shipping in the USA. His email address is [email protected]

I think this mirror is the same as Gentex Homelink mirror, which is model 50-GENK45. Best price I have found is about $250-$275.

·
Matt "Mr. Wizard" Price
101 Posts
Hey everyone, just a little more info about this mirror: If you want one, the ebay dealer above is definitely the least expensive way to get it. But just in case he runs out, or anyone wants to do more research:

The mirror is a Gentex Homelink Auto-dimming Mirror with Compass (no temp) and the actual model number is 50-GENK45. This model is not listed on the Gentex website. It appears to be OEM only.

I think Toyota uses this mirror in some of its SUV's but I couldn't figure out exactly what model or year, so I don't know what the part number is. I DO know that Subaru uses it as an accessory for any of their cars. The Subaru part number is H501SAG100.

A quick call to the local subaru dealer, and he quoted me $245. I have found it much cheaper online here:
http://www.1stsubaruparts.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=34_57&products_id=693
and here:
http://www.subaru-parts.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=131&osCsid=351c496db4f901ec7eb2aedc19750ae8

And speaking with Dave, the ebay seller, he tells me the only difference between the subaru version and all others is subaru uses an adapter to mount it to the window instead of the standard wedge. So you can throw away the adapter and just use the mirror as it comes from the factory.

I'm still looking for a place to get the wirecover. Dave sells them for 3$ used when he has them. I haven't found them online anywhere. suggestions?

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Wow! Great research work there....

If you search Ebay for 'mirror wire cover', you will find a seller that has the short one and the long one. The short one works perfectly in the Camry.

BTW: the installation of the mirror is quite easy BUT before you install it - go buy a multimeter.
You can get them just about anywhere. It doesn't have to be a fancy model.
I think I spent 25 bucks on mine and it is digital.

·
Matt "Mr. Wizard" Price
101 Posts
Thanks White. I have nothing better to do at work :D

Here is another idea, and I'm wondering if anyone else has this.... I'm assuming its on the loaded XLE or Hybrid maybe? Its just the homelink part, and it goes in the roof consol between the sunglass holder and the map lights? I called my parts guy at Toyota but haven't heard back from him about how much it costs... can anyone else find out?

Depending on price, It might be cheaper than spending $200 to replace the mirror (although the auto-dimming and compass would be helpful.)

·
The Naive Voice of Reason
2,083 Posts
whitenoize said:
Wow! Great research work there....

If you search Ebay for 'mirror wire cover', you will find a seller that has the short one and the long one. The short one works perfectly in the Camry.

BTW: the installation of the mirror is quite easy BUT before you install it - go buy a multimeter.
You can get them just about anywhere. It doesn't have to be a fancy model.
I think I spent 25 bucks on mine and it is digital.
How do you use the multimeter to check if a wire is live or not? Doesn't the covering on the wires keep you from checking them directly? I'm probably going to buy a multimeter pretty soon but I have to make sure I know how to use it first. :DI got other mods in mind besides this mirror. I already have a less sophisticated gentex mirror.

Good luck guys.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yes, to be more specific, test the wire at the connection point.
Meaning the connector that the wire ends at.
Insert the positive probe onto the wire at the point it is in the connector - while the negative probe is on a Ground point.

For example, when you pull down the overhead console, you will have to disconnect the connection to the console. Probe that connection (the white plug) to find the hot wire.

I hope that makes sense.

·
The Naive Voice of Reason
2,083 Posts
Thanks, I think I get what you are saying. You trace the wire to its connection point and test there.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hey Wizrd -

I thought about just purchasing the homelink piece to the console also.
But I wanted the auto-dimming mirror anyway.

One thing to note on the overhead console is that when I looked at it closely, the whole thing looked sealed up.
I couldn't tell how to swap or add buttons to that thing.
Take yours down when you get a chance and look at it.
Very easy to do - 2 clips on the end closest to the windshield.
Use a flat object to unclip them.
Then the console swings down and out.

·
Matt "Mr. Wizard" Price
101 Posts
I was reading the repair manual about it and kinda figured it was a single piece. Check this out, I just got a call back from the parts guy at the local Toyota dealership... here is the pricing he gave me:

1) The Gentex 50-GENK45 Homelink mirror with compass (what you installed) was $236.25
2) The overhead console (which has to be matched to your VIN, since there are like 8 different configurations, depending on wiring, etc) $516.48 :yikes:

and it gets better! On top of that they want $350 for labor!!!!! They are crazy! He also mentioned a "special" they have for the other Gentex mirror with the compass and temp and homelink, etc... for the low low price of $699.00 ?!?!?!??!

I guess some people are crazy enough to pay it since they don't know how to do basic install stuff. sad really. And you know there is like 300% mark up on the parts to begin with... I bet they only pay 60 or 70 bucks tops for that mirror wholesale.

1 - 20 of 119 Posts
About this Discussion
118 Replies
44 Participants
Tundra-Guy
Toyota Nation Forum
ToyotaNation Forum is a community dedicated to all Toyota models. Come discuss the Camry, Tacoma, Highlander, 4Runner, Rav4 and more!
Full Forum Listing