Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know of a way to adjust the auto headlight sensitivity? Mine don't come on as soon as I would like...it has to be almost completely dark before they will come on.

·
2005 HL Ltd. 4WD V6
535 Posts
auto lights

Your dealer can change the settings with their plug-in tool. There is a mid-point and two settings in either direction - more sensitive and less sensitive. My '05 was also very late turning on the lights, and they adjusted it for me. The first time they went the wrong way, then they got it right, but still the lights were not coming on soon enough. What I did was to cut a dime-sized piece of black electrical tape and placed it in over the center of the LARGER bubble on the dashboard in front of the driver. That's the eye the system uses for light control. I think the smaller bubble is for measuring sun load for the air conditioning system. You can experiment with tape sizes to suit your needs. In over a year-and-a-half, the tape is not peeling off and is hardly noticeable. Trust me - NO ONE would ever notice it unless you pointed it out.

·
2005 HL Ltd. 4WD V6
535 Posts
sensor

I don't know if that reply was meant for me, Nod, but if it was, then no, the headlights are not on all the time, I merely adjusted the sensor to what I wanted, since the range on the sensor did not bring on the headlights soon enough. I felt that on darkinsh, rainy days the headlights should come on, but they weren't. They now are. The size of the piece of tape might need to be fine tuned until one gets the wanted results.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
lqueral said:
Your dealer can change the settings with their plug-in tool. There is a mid-point and two settings in either direction - more sensitive and less sensitive. My '05 was also very late turning on the lights, and they adjusted it for me. The first time they went the wrong way, then they got it right, but still the lights were not coming on soon enough. What I did was to cut a dime-sized piece of black electrical tape and placed it in over the center of the LARGER bubble on the dashboard in front of the driver. That's the eye the system uses for light control. I think the smaller bubble is for measuring sun load for the air conditioning system. You can experiment with tape sizes to suit your needs. In over a year-and-a-half, the tape is not peeling off and is hardly noticeable. Trust me - NO ONE would ever notice it unless you pointed it out.
Thanks, man...that was EXACTLY the kind of info I was looking for.

What did we do before the internet?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts