Toyota Nation Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello just got my wife a 2016 corolla LE, no auto headlights. I want to add an aftermarket auto headlight kit with the photocell sensor. Does anyone have the headlight and wiper diagram to help? I have found tons of topics on the fog lights but none on adding the auto headlight feature. I will also mount a toggle switch to turn the auto feature on and off. Any help will be appreciated. Thank You

·
6,486 Posts
I just leave my headlights on 24/7 because of that lol...
Car beeps at me every time I get out because the lights are still on, but they shut off in a min or two anyways so....
the only thing that annoys me is it dims the info screen.

·
Honda-Tech White Ops
1,581 Posts
paying for some kit to turn on headlights? Seriously..?

You cant just turn the knob like everyone did for decades? Thats too much work? Whats the difference if you reach for a toggle or turning the knob?

I have auto headlights and still turn my lights on manually when needed.

·
Registered
2010, 2020 Corolla
314 Posts
Our 2010 has it, our 2013 did not our 2016 opts the Auto off, but not auto on. we learned to live with it.

I rather have the auto on then the Back up cam. My head still turns, then trust a cam, Lol

they sell kits but is it worth doing. like said lets just learn to turn

·
2015 Corolla LE
507 Posts
I don't even like the idea of auto headlights. I am glad we LE owners can turn off our DRLs. I don't like DRLs. I don't believe driving around in the day DRLs do anything to improve safety. It's great that we can turn them on or off.

If it's raining, dawn, dusk, or dark for any reason I turn on my DRLs. Otherwise I leave them off.

Auto headlights aren't even something I want in a car. I can turn a switch if it's getting dark if I want exterior lighting.

·
Registered
2010, 2020 Corolla
314 Posts
DLR don't turn the back lights on so what you said you must be with the regular lights in rain, especially when using your wipers. in day time no less

·
2015 Corolla LE
507 Posts
DLR don't turn the back lights on so what you said you must be with the regular lights in rain, especially when using your wipers. in day time no less
Correct, in the day, if it's raining, or dark for any reason (dust storm, nuclear blast, etc..) I turn on my DRLs and running lights on the corners of the car (which is the next step when turning the knob) or simply turn the knob all the way to operate the headlights and running lights.

I just don't know why someone would want to install auto headlights or base their decision on buying a car on auto headlights. If your car comes with them, them sure, learn to use them the way you want, but I can't imagine installing aftermarket auto headlights. There are many aftermarket stuff you can spend your money on that would be "cooler" and more useful.

·
Registered
2010, 2020 Corolla
314 Posts
As an Owner of a 2010 was not an option, it was Standard, when the2013 we leased it became an Option, and now, it was no longer offered as any pkg?

So in that perspective I can see the OP 's point. I would not install either but find a solution that will work for him?

I driven a 2016 LE and not having the Lights on at start up was a turnoff, for me. The saying, to each their own. My 2010 and 2016 S lovem

·
Honda-Tech White Ops
1,581 Posts
the solution is to turn on regular lights or parking lights if he wanted to use them during the day.

·
Registered
219 Posts
paying for some kit to turn on headlights? Seriously..?

You cant just turn the knob like everyone did for decades? Thats too much work? Whats the difference if you reach for a toggle or turning the knob?

I have auto headlights and still turn my lights on manually when needed.

How is this reply even helpful?

The solution is for you to turn the knob. Just because you are for some irrationally backwards reason opposed to having minutiae automated for you does not mean that it is something that should be prescribed to all.

The kit is $40 on Amazon, i am also wondering on how to wire it up, if you come across info let me know.

·
Registered
219 Posts

You reach for the knob every day, you toggle the thing once and never have to do anything after. They turn on if it gets dark turn off if it gets light or the car is off.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Cutty... you can adjust the amount of time the headlights stay on after you shut off the engine AND open any door. This way, if you choose to run your headlights continuously then they will never stay on after you shut the car off and open a door and you'll never drain the battery or hear the warning buzzer. Simple enough:

with car running, on the touchscreen do the following:
setup
vehicle
vehicle customization
lights settings
headlamp auto-off
choose the 'Off' selection

Like I said, with this option, if you leave the switch to full headlights and leave it there you will always have them on when driving and they will go off when you shut off the engine AND open any door. I simply live with turning the switch, but I do miss the auto headlight option.

·
Registered
2014 Corolla
334 Posts
Coming from a car that had automatic headlights and drl, I can understand how you initially feel. However, after a while of just turning the lights on and off manually, I find that I prefer this better. Since the cost and effort of installing automatic lights outweighs it's convenience benefit, I would say to just train yourself to check your lights before you turn the engine off. Eventually, you'll just do it naturally, like breathing.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Coming from a car that had automatic headlights and drl, I can understand how you initially feel. However, after a while of just turning the lights on and off manually, I find that I prefer this better. Since the cost and effort of installing automatic lights outweighs it's convenience benefit, I would say to just train yourself to check your lights before you turn the engine off. Eventually, you'll just do it naturally, like breathing.

Agreed, but at $40 it's pretty cheap.

·
Registered
2010, 2020 Corolla
314 Posts
the head light chime I love to get that sucker a better sound.

eventually one is going to give in.

FISH

Post a lin k that amazon kit please

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Rooster Thank you for that tip I will definitely adjust the settings. with the kit you dont have to use the toggle switch to turn the auto feature on every time, its just there to turn the auto feature off if you dont want to use the feature. I am all about turning the knob but my wife was use to auto lights on her prius for the past 4-5yrs so its like working backwards. LOL. Plus the kit has the capability to utilize the auto headlight feature when the wipers are on, and for only $35 on amazon that aint bad. However Iam going to save the trouble of wiring and buying the kit and just keep the headlights on and adjust the settings. Thank you for those that assited me with this post!!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.