Toyota Nation Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
I just leave my headlights on 24/7 because of that lol...
Car beeps at me every time I get out because the lights are still on, but they shut off in a min or two anyways so....
the only thing that annoys me is it dims the info screen.
On my 14'S+, If you turn the little brightness adjustment wheel for the instrument panel all the way up, you'll feel a little click at the top and, voila! :grin:Bright screen.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I don't even like the idea of auto headlights. I am glad we LE owners can turn off our DRLs. I don't like DRLs. I don't believe driving around in the day DRLs do anything to improve safety. It's great that we can turn them on or off.

If it's raining, dawn, dusk, or dark for any reason I turn on my DRLs. Otherwise I leave them off.

Auto headlights aren't even something I want in a car. I can turn a switch if it's getting dark if I want exterior lighting.
Well the idea behind it is that its not what you want. It's what other drivers on the road want from you. You might be able to perfectly see on the road a car in the opposite direction might have the sun setting down, and the extra glare from your headlights helps them know that there is a car there. It's just a matter of safety.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Well the idea behind it is that its not what you want. It's what other drivers on the road want from you. You might be able to perfectly see on the road a car in the opposite direction might have the sun setting down, and the extra glare from your headlights helps them know that there is a car there. It's just a matter of safety.

Ehi don't know how much safer it is. Like handsfree, studies show that drivers are just as distracted. But it's an expensive ticket.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Ehi don't know how much safer it is. Like handsfree, studies show that drivers are just as distracted. But it's an expensive ticket.
Apples and oranges here. Indeed, studies show that hands-free devices doesn't help safety because the source of distraction is conversation, not the phone itself.
On the opposite, they show a 5% to 15% decrease in accidents for DRLs. They are mandatory in Canada. They were long before on motorcycle and have been on locomotives for ages.
It's mainly about the other drivers noticing you better. Just as everybody uses turn signal to inform other drivers. Oh... wait... >:D

·
Registered
219 Posts
Apples and oranges here. Indeed, studies show that hands-free devices doesn't help safety because the source of distraction is conversation, not the phone itself.
On the opposite, they show a 5% to 15% decrease in accidents for DRLs. They are mandatory in Canada. They were long before on motorcycle and have been on locomotives for ages.
It's mainly about the other drivers noticing you better. Just as everybody uses turn signal to inform other drivers. Oh... wait... >:D

I'm still not sold, i see no detriment except slightly higher upkeep and a bit less engine efficiency. I guess my biggest issue is if it's so good, and everyone agrees, why can i buy a new car without this feature?

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
I'm still not sold, i see no detriment except slightly higher upkeep and a bit less engine efficiency. I guess my biggest issue is if it's so good, and everyone agrees, why can i buy a new car without this feature?
Because of what you said : a bit less engine efficiency (though marginal, even more with LED) and (also marginal) higher upkeep.
But then, US wouldn't have mandatory airbags and, soon, back-up cameras.
The main reason is fear of drivers forgetting to switch to headlights at dusk. And boy does it happens ! (Auto-headlights, standard on canadian Corollas, take care of that).
Remember when seat belts were first offered as an option (Nash 1949), some found the "cons" to be prevalent : "what if the car fall in a river and you can't unbuckle ?"
Same here : while the advantages of DRLs are well established, when weighting the pros and cons, different countries come to different conclusions.

·
Registered
2010, 2020 Corolla
314 Posts
Not long ago. a person got ticket due to having Auto lights on at night, was an excuse to give the person a ticket due to not having their headlight controls not fully turned. Giving an Officer of the law an excuse is a ticket in hand.

Are not the standard bulbs DRl, and leds your headlights. so there will be no harm to burn them all day and night, and blinding people more the never when DRL are dimmed and not fully lit, so they do got that area covered of consumption.

Can not wait till auto stop comes to the car, be the first thing that gets dismantled takes one A** to cut you off and the person behind slams into you, unless he has Auto stop.

Seat belt
light
stop
pilotless driver

not the jetsons here
.,?;"

·
Registered
219 Posts
Because of what you said : a bit less engine efficiency (though marginal, even more with LED) and (also marginal) higher upkeep.
But then, US wouldn't have mandatory airbags and, soon, back-up cameras.
The main reason is fear of drivers forgetting to switch to headlights at dusk. And boy does it happens ! (Auto-headlights, standard on canadian Corollas, take care of that).
Remember when seat belts were first offered as an option (Nash 1949), some found the "cons" to be prevalent : "what if the car fall in a river and you can't unbuckle ?"
Same here : while the advantages of DRLs are well established, when weighting the pros and cons, different countries come to different conclusions.

Yeah i agree with most of that. I'd have to get pedantic to illustrate where i don't.
The Canadian corolla is drl with auto lights, (drl by day and then switches to headlights when it gets dark)? This aggravates me even more, why not make this an option on the US cars.

·
6,486 Posts
What's utterly and totally frustrating is it's nothing more than a software switch!
The vehicle already has a light sensor up on the dash used for the Auto Climate Controls. So ALL the needed hardware is already installed in the VEHICLE!!
I even went into Techstream the first 24 hours I had the car and looked for a way to enable it but there is none!!!

There is different firmware for the Canadian version VS USA version?!?!?!
So it's an option in their Techstream but not for us!!!

Plus my 2001 8th GEN Corolla has AUTO HEADLIGHTS!!!!!! So like why did they back slide on such a simple feature that was included in a 2001 model but not a 2016 model!?!?!?

It angers me deeply lol....

·
Registered
2010, 2020 Corolla
314 Posts
I wonder as well but my mind says temp sensor not photo sensor?

I hear ya and if that is right and its just a simple software release, be great

·
Registered
219 Posts
Yeah me too, but that is a temp sensor not a light sensor me thinks. I also looked at techstream, its so stupid. I mean its probably less stupid than not including a lock on the glove box, but...

·
Registered
2010, 2020 Corolla
314 Posts
less a Valet key. so these cutbacks saves money. There is a write up on a auto lights out there ?

For my 10 I love to have my DRL off when I sit Lol so yeah they do listen Toyota. you get a Survey, fill it out., maybe in 2018 we'll see it again

·
6,486 Posts
I wonder as well but my mind says temp sensor not photo sensor?
Yep positive, it's on the right hand front of the dash.
I can cover it or uncover it and screw with the auto climate control.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.