Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2018 Avalon Hybrid and while driving on a dark road, the auto high beam "System" shuts off and I only have the low beams unless I take the lights off of "Auto" and manually use the High Beams... If I don't touch anything, then after a while (1-2 minuets) the auto high beam (System) comes back on... Has anyone else had this problem... Can't seem to get Toyota to recognize this as a problem...

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have the same problem on my 2017 Rav4. The problem is a layer of haze forming on the windshied in front of the camera. Good luck fixing it under warranty - I have gave up after two dealer visits and two calls to Toyota customer service line.

If you Google "Toyota auto high beam malfunction" the first three hits are from people dealing with the same problem (~20 cases reported) and yet Toyota does nothing to acknowledge/fix the problem.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I absolutely hate this feature and I drive now without using auto on the lights. The car never lights them up when they are needed, and it takes them at least a minute to recognize you're on a dark road. I also really think the cars lights own reflection on signs prevents the high beams from activating. So I just don't use it. Even in busy traffic, a high beam is essential if there is something in the road in front of you, even if it's just a quick flip on and off to be sure there isn't an obstruction in your way.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I reported this a year ago. Toyota said there is no problem. Dealers won't do anything because they can't get Toyota to pay the warrant money. It's too bad there is not a way to get Toyota to admit there is a problem. This will be my last Toyota not because of a defect (that happens) but Toyota's lack of customer concern.

·
Registered
2018 Avalon Limited,
9 Posts
Same here, took mine in under warranty, They actually kept the car a mechanic drove it home on his 20 mile commute. Was told the system can get over simulated in rain etc. I now have 50k and seems to getting worse.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Our Avalon is currently at Apple Valley Toyota in Martinsburg, WV. We showed their technical guy in the service shop a video showing the issue. He looked at the manual, an online maintenance manual and also checked the maintenance output from running some check run of the system. He mentioned he would call the Toyota service manager who apparently works our of Baltimore who is named "Tom (something)". I don't think they wanted to give out this guy's name. I don't hold our hope for anything happening.

My question is this. Does anyone have a name/phone number/email for a Toyota manager I can contact? I am ready to get hold of an attorney and try to get Toyota's attention since they aren't listening to their customers.

Any information would be helpful. Contact me at [email protected].

·
Registered
22 Posts
By the way, when I mentioned to the service guy at Apple Valley Toyota in Martinsburg, WV saying that there have been numerous postings on toyotanation.com of this issue, he said that he can't tell the Toyota technical person that or he will hear "an earful". So apparently at lest that Toyota is not interested in what is being posted on this webpage.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Getting higher up the chain, but Toyota is saying all is OK. Here are the comments on my service ticket from Apple Valley Toyota regarding the auto headlight issue.

TALKED WITH CUST ABOUT SITUATIONS OUTLINED IN OWNERS MANUAL AND REPAIR MANUAL FOR TIMES THAT SYSTEM WILL NOT OPERATE. CREATED CASE AND CALLED TAS (comment: this was described at the Toyota corporate technical staff) WAS INSTRUCTED BY TAS THAT EVEN THOUGH IT IS NOT PRINTED, THAT AUTO ICON WILL TURN OFF WHEN SYSTEM MEETS ONE OR MORE OF THESE CRITERIA (comment: not mentioned but mentioned it was not the same list as in the manual). IT IS A NORMAL FUNTION. NOT A REPAIRABLE CONDITION. NORMAL OPERATION SUGGESTED THAT CUSTOMER MAY FIND THIS FUNTION WORKS BETTER ON LARGER HIGHWAYS AND MAY WANT TO USE THE NORMAL MANUAL HEADLIGHT FUNCTION ON SMALLER , CURVIER ROADS.

So, Toyota has formally said this is a normal function that seems to happen only to a small set of users and for us to sit down and be quiet because they know best.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts