Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rolling down the 41 from Oshkosh WI the other day and all the oncoming traffic had their main lights on coz it was very cloudy. Mine didn't come on though they were set on auto. Wife was bleating about putting them on manually but I was too proud. A mile before we got home they came on... Is there any way to adjust the light level before the lights are triggered ?

·
Registered
08 Toyota Camry 2AZ-FE R9K Tuned
5,115 Posts
Rolling down the 41 from Oshkosh WI the other day and all the oncoming traffic had their main lights on coz it was very cloudy. Mine didn't come on though they were set on auto. Wife was bleating about putting them on manually but I was too proud. A mile before we got home they came on... Is there any way to adjust the light level before the lights are triggered ?
If I remember correctly if you have a TechStream you can adjust the AUTO setting. I don't use AUTO since it interferes with my HIDs and the DRL LEDs will flicker. I just use my LED fog lights as my DRL. If you check out the Carista site for compatibility and options you MIGHT be able to adjust it from there too after you get a bluetooth OBD2 scanner.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If I remember correctly if you have a TechStream you can adjust the AUTO setting. I don't use AUTO since it interferes with my HIDs and the DRL LEDs will flicker. I just use my LED fog lights as my DRL. If you check out the Carista site for compatibility and options you MIGHT be able to adjust it from there too after you get a bluetooth OBD2 scanner.
lot of acronyms there... But ta muchly and TTFN

·
Registered
5,115 Posts
lot of acronyms there... But ta muchly and TTFN
  • TechStream is Toyota's diagnostic, programming,, code read, whatever software.
  • Carista is a phone app that can connect to almost any OBD2 bluetooth reader and it MIGHT let you change some options. Their website will list what it can and cannot do for your vehicle. It may also cost money.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
  • TechStream is Toyota's diagnostic, programming,, code read, whatever software.
  • Carista is a phone app that can connect to almost any OBD2 bluetooth reader and it MIGHT let you change some options. Their website will list what it can and cannot do for your vehicle. It may also cost money.
oh ok thanks....much too techy for me...pity it isn't the other way round and the lights come on too early...then I could just smear some Vaseline on the detector or use a bit of tape with a smaller hole cut in it. Actully, that tape one might stop the complaints from the passenger seat region lol...

·
Registered
5,115 Posts
oh ok thanks....much too techy for me...pity it isn't the other way round and the lights come on too early...then I could just smear some Vaseline on the detector or use a bit of tape with a smaller hole cut in it. Actully, that tape one might stop the complaints from the passenger seat region lol...
It could work but whether or not it is wise to do is a different issue. Though even if I did use AUTO on my car I still wouldn't use it. If I look outside and see that it is:
  • Dark
  • Night
  • Rainy
  • Foggy
  • Blizzard
  • It's the end of the world
My lights are gonna be manually ON already. I've not seen much but I have seen just enough Milwaukee drivers drive without lights on whether it is getting dark or when there is obvious hard to see fog or blizzard.

In addition, I just like having my lights on because I like my lights.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It could work but whether or not it is wise to do is a different issue. Though even if I did use AUTO on my car I still wouldn't use it. If I look outside and see that it is:
  • Dark
  • Night
  • Rainy
  • Foggy
  • Blizzard
  • It's the end of the world
My lights are gonna be manually ON already. I've not seen much but I have seen just enough Milwaukee drivers drive without lights on whether it is getting dark or when there is obvious hard to see fog or blizzard.

In addition, I just like having my lights on because I like my lights.

I agree that lights on early is the way to go, and that's why I wanted my auto to switch it on for me... Pity they dont have a twiddly thing to adjust it like the instrument cluster has .. I guess on manual, the lights don't shut off after x seconds of getting out like they do on auto ?

·
Registered
5,115 Posts
I agree that lights on early is the way to go, and that's why I wanted my auto to switch it on for me... Pity they dont have a twiddly thing to adjust it like the instrument cluster has .. I guess on manual, the lights don't shut off after x seconds of getting out like they do on auto ?
On ON, if you turn off the car and leave the lights they will turn off by themselves (at least on my 08 Camry). It may be possible to do this through instrument panel display thing that the newer cars have but I would not know. Check out the owner's manual and see if there are any settings for it.

Gen 6 Electrical Wiring Diagram Information

·
Registered
334 Posts
I too have wished my "auto" lights would come on at a brighter ambient light.
When I first got my car, I would turn the control 1 click and accidentally only have the "parking" lights on (but never when dark out as I would notice right away).
Now that I'm used to the car, I turn them the 2 clicks to get the headlights ON.
The driving without lights on (just daytime running lights) at night is not limited to just Milwaukee.....I see it all over the place and it is seriously dangerous as you have NO lights on the back of your car except when you hit the brakes.
When it is raining out, it is dangerous to NOT have your lights on......not just daytime running lights, but the headlights and tail lights.

Auto is CERTAINLY not set and forget!!!

·
Registered
5,115 Posts
I too have wished my "auto" lights would come on at a brighter ambient light.
When I first got my car, I would turn the control 1 click and accidentally only have the "parking" lights on (but never when dark out as I would notice right away).
Now that I'm used to the car, I turn them the 2 clicks to get the headlights ON.
The driving without lights on (just daytime running lights) at night is not limited to just Milwaukee.....I see it all over the place and it is seriously dangerous as you have NO lights on the back of your car except when you hit the brakes.
When it is raining out, it is dangerous to NOT have your lights on......not just daytime running lights, but the headlights and tail lights.

Auto is CERTAINLY not set and forget!!!
Like I said earlier, is it dark? Yes? Lights on. But at the end of the day, 🤷‍♀️

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I believe I can set my sensestivity in the setup menu on the radio.
Can't see that on the SE..wonder if it's an XLE thing .....
"Set and forget' can catch one out...I got used to the radar cruise control on the 2018, and now I have gone back to the 2017 model that doesn't have that, I have to rember to slow down manually when I steam up behind slower cars... I noticed this when I rented cars and it becomes automatic in one's mind to expect the car to slow down on it's own... Then you get in a strange car and oops ! it doesn't...

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
My 2016 Camry Le has the option to adjust the sensitivity by way of setup
yippee ..FOUND IT ! It was set on high sensitivity but still one bar remaining to make it max...So I have moved it up that one bar and I am hoping that will do it.... I did go into the section to set my door locks 2 weeks ago , but didn't remember the headlights sensitivity setting... So thank you !

1 - 14 of 14 Posts