Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
1998 T100 SR5 2WD
14,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since acquiring the new T-100 (1998 SR5 2WD 3.4L auto Xtra cab) with 306k on it...I knew it had a few problems.

Leaking power steering rack and stiffness when turning right
Dirty throttle body
Original timing belt/water pump
Work vehicle
Whining sound from engine/transmission
Varnish buildup
Slight oil consumption

Doing some research, Auto-RX (ARX) seemed like it would be a good choice to run through this truck and see what it can do fer it. Just ordered 8 bottles and it should be here within a week or so. Hope it can do something about the steering rack and clean up the engine internals a bit. Gonna stock up on some SuperTech oil filters (Walmart) and some SuperTech conventional oil. Guess I can put the ARX in the differential as well... :D

How many of you have tried this stuff? Did it work fer you? What did you use it on?

·
Registered
238 Posts
I don't have any experience with this product, but it sounds like a slightly less abrasive alternative to seafoam. I don't see anything on their site (brief look) about sucking it in through vacuum lines to clean up the valves like people do with seefoam, but maybe people do it with this stuff too...

·
1998 T100 SR5 2WD
14,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This is strictly an additive package to yer fluids. I wouldn't recommend sucking it into yer combustion chamber as it wasn't designed to do this. It's strictly a gradual cleaning package that will slowly break down the carbon and varnish build up in yer parts. Obviously...if it doesn't git that fluid washed over a particular part...it's not gonna git cleaned. ;)

Since this truck was a work truck, I'm gonna guess it might be kinda messy inside the engine. If I can git it cleaned up inside and gain some extra life/power/mileage out of it...then great. If not...at least I tried. :D

·
Registered
238 Posts
Well if you're looking to clean up the engine, you might consider some seafoaming too.

http://volvospeed.com/Repair/seafoam.html

I'll add I think I might pick up some of this RX stuff after your guinea-pigging when I'm nearing an oil change. I never did go the "sea foam as an additive" route. The stuff scared me too much. This looks like a safer alternative for the additive route.

·
1998 T100 SR5 2WD
14,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yup...got a can of Seafoam as well before the prices went up. ;)

With over 300k on the engine...don't want to git everything loose and jam the oil pickup at all. That would not be good... :(

·
1998 T100 SR5 2WD
14,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Got the Auto-RX in today! :D

Gonna replace the oil filter on Friday and then add the Auto-RX stuff in. This way I know what's in the engine now from the old filter vs what Auto-RX will do during the cleaning phase. It's due fer an oil change in about 1000 miles anyways. That's about 3 tanks of gas or so... :D

I picked up some conventional oil (10W-30) and 4 of the SuperTech 3600 filters vs the 3614 filters. The 3600 filters are just longer in size so there's more filter material. :D

Gonna change out the filters probably midway just to make sure it's not gitting clogged up...they were only $3 each. We'll see how good/bad the stuff in the engine is. It will be an interesting start. :D

·
1998 T100 SR5 2WD
14,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Got the Auto-RX in the engine, transmission, and power steering. After about 150 miles...the power steering leak is gone. Guess I'll need to drop that power steering fluid the previous owner put in there so I can put some fresh ATF in there. I did notice the color of the power steering fluid went from clear to a cola color...but that could be attributed to the color of the Auto-RX which has a "dirty" oil kinda look to the stuff. Time to break oil catch pan so I don't git it all over the place... :D

·
Registered
167 Posts
Did you have to order it directly from autorx? How many bottles are you supposed to put in the gas, to treat the oil? I only want to treat the engine, and am looking to order some.. Thanks..

·
1998 T100 SR5 2WD
14,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Did you have to order it directly from autorx? How many bottles are you supposed to put in the gas, to treat the oil? I only want to treat the engine, and am looking to order some.. Thanks..
Remember to put in the code "BamZipPow" so I can git my commission... ;) Just kidding.... :D

Yes...you have to order direct from them.
No...you don't put this in the gas. Check their website fer instructions-- www.auto-rx.com and look it up in the FAQ. :D

How many miles do you have on the engine? You might want to go through 2 clean phases (2 bottles) if you have over 100k. If you have an auto transmission...then I'd git one fer that and the power steering...that would leave you some fer the maintenance fills. ;)

·
1998 T100 SR5 2WD
14,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Fergot to post a piccie of the oil filler port before I added in the Auto-RX over 4 years ago.

Reactions: jabush

·
1998 T100 SR5 2WD
14,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So what does it look like today??? I imagine it's cleaner?
This is what it looks like today... ;)

Can't really say that Auto-RX cleaned it to this level as I had scraped on the residue when I replaced my valve cover gaskets. Also, with the Frantz oil cleaner system returning through the filler cap, there's a better chance of the oil cleaning the filler port, too. I haven't put in any Auto-RX since the 2nd treatment...no maintenance dose either. ;)

Reactions: jabush

·
Registered
1996 T100 RegCab 2WD
385 Posts
WOW!! Big improvement. Do you remember what it looked like while you were hooking up the Frantz oil cleaner? I'm seriously considering giving the AutoRx a try in the engine. Power steering seems fine for now. No creeks or groans while turning.

·
1998 T100 SR5 2WD
14,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
WOW!! Big improvement. Do you remember what it looked like while you were hooking up the Frantz oil cleaner? I'm seriously considering giving the AutoRx a try in the engine. Power steering seems fine for now. No creeks or groans while turning.
The only evidence I have of Auto-RX working in my engine is when I pulled my valve covers to replace the valve cover gaskets. I'm sure the flaking off of the black buildup wasn't due to switching over to a synthetic oil but most likely due to the two Auto-RX treatments.

I would go ahead and git some Auto-RX and put some in the power steering system as preventative maintenance (mine was leaking at the steering shaft input seal which completely stopped it from leaking) as well as the rear differential (front seal was leaking and slinging oil under the bed which has completely stopped as well). I don't know if putting it in my auto transmission did any good or not as I didn't have any problems before or after...so I didn't have a reference point to start from.

You could change out yer valve cover gaskets and snap photos of what it looks like under there and then do an Auto-RX treatment or two. Pull the covers a few months later and see if there are any significant changes in the engine or not. :D

·
1998 T100 SR5 2WD
14,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

·
Registered
1996 T100 RegCab 2WD
385 Posts
The valve cover gasket may be beyond my ability. I'll have to research some 3Rz threads and see what's involved. I definitely don't want to screw anything up or get into a situation where I have to have the truck towed to a shop. I'm pretty good at basic stuff, but this is my daily driver. My other truck is an F-150 Lightning. Premium fuel and crappy mileage...I don't want to have to drive that back & forth to work.

·
1998 T100 SR5 2WD
14,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The valve cover gasket may be beyond my ability. I'll have to research some 3Rz threads and see what's involved. I definitely don't want to screw anything up or get into a situation where I have to have the truck towed to a shop. I'm pretty good at basic stuff, but this is my daily driver. My other truck is an F-150 Lightning. Premium fuel and crappy mileage...I don't want to have to drive that back & forth to work.
If you have basic mechanical skills, you can do a valve cover gasket replacement. Not sure how often one would have to do it on the 3rzfe but I would venture to guess that it will eventually leak. If you had a factory service manual, it would make things a whole lot easier to do. ;)

Send me a PM with yer email address... ;)

·
1998 T100 SR5 2WD
14,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Put in a maintenance dose this morning before my drive to Houston fer some business. Probably due fer an oil change in about 4000 more miles. I'm currently pushing the limits of the Mobil1 Extended performance at 15,000 miles with the Frantz Oil Cleaner system. :D

Reactions: 1989SupraT

·
Registered
89SupraT 96T100
114 Posts
Thanks for all the good info Bam! You are always doing something interesting ad testing to your truck and that has helped tremendously plenty of times.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts