Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just bought an 86 toyota motorhome. It has the 22RE and OD auto.

The little 4 banger ain't the fastest thing on the block seeing as it is dragging a small house around on it's back and I was thinking that a 5 speed manual might improve "performance" a little.

How much trouble is this? I would guess that the best thing to do would be to find a complete donor 5 speed truck. Is mounting the clutch pedal/linkage a pain?

·
One with the farce
2,886 Posts
The clutch pedal assembly with pedals bolts in. You will have to drill the holes for the clutch master cylinder too.

·
Registered
87 2WD,86 2 WD
20 Posts
i did this swap on my 86 awhile back and yes it would be a good idea to get a whole donor truck if you can, that way you will have all the little stuff you wouldnt think about, also i used an 85 donor for my swap and it didnt have a clutch safety switch. by the way u wil need to change the trans mount and the front half of the drive shaft but i dont think that a regular ext cab shaft will work as your camper is probably on a 1 ton chassis which has a longer wheel base. just some stuff to think about

·
Registered
91 Posts
why are you looking to go fast in your motorhome? isn't the idea to take it eeeeeaaaaasy?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
wudshapr said:
why are you looking to go fast in your motorhome? isn't the idea to take it eeeeeaaaaasy?
Not looking to go fast, possibly just a little less slow and maybe get a little better mileage. Actually, I guess the biggest reason is that I just enjoy driving a 5 speed unless I'm in traffic and drinking a coffee. Autos are pretty sweet, then.

Also, the auto does not have a locking torque converter which makes for some pretty warm tranny fluid. I guess taking it easy and installing the biggest cooler I can fit will help. This rig recently had work done on the tranny during a trip out west. The owner's daughters were driving it and apparently overheated something. They probably didn't know that keeping it out of OD in hilly areas is a good idea.

Any other info would be appreciated. I recall 5-10 years ago that the supply of good running but rusted out late 80s toys was pretty good. Unfortunately, I think most of those are gone now as I don't see many in the want adds.

Another idea I had was to find a similar year turbo diesel 5 speed, but, they are extremely rare and I would think they'd bring top dollar, even in a rusted out donor truck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts