Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2005 Tundra and Toyota told me a trans fluid change would cost $100. When I brought it in, the price went up to $300. They said they had to do computer adjustments. I walked out without getting anything done. Does this sound right, or was I getting the old screwing?

·
Need For Speed
2011 Camry SE
10,765 Posts
Computer adjustments on a trans flush?!?!? All they do is hook up a simple machine and walk away til it's done. Our dealer charges $125.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Wrong.....They only way to change World Standard transmission fluid
is with a Scan Tool...The transmission has to be filled then brought to operating temps also the line pressures have monitored also.
You do not just fill and walk away...If the fluid level is not correct you will void your warranty when the transmission fails....

I have seen transmissions fail with 2 qts low from someone changing there oil and removing the wrong drain plug.

Do yourself a favor and have someone do it perfessionally....

I do agree. $300.00 is a little to much...We charge $185.00. The fluid is not cheap

·
Need For Speed
2011 Camry SE
10,765 Posts
Not always, quite a few Toyotas with WS still have a dipstick.....

Just read up on WS in Tundra, looks like they changed over to WS mid 2005.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Not always, quite a few Toyotas with WS still have a dipstick.....

Just read up on WS in Tundra, looks like they changed over to WS mid 2005.
Correct on the mid 05 change. Once they did change all trucks have sealed transmissions. Tundra/Tacoma's No dip sticks or filters.

Veh with Dip sticks that use WS. Camry,Corolla. Possible highlander,Rav-4??
But we are on the Tundra 1st Gen thread aren't we?

·
Need For Speed
2011 Camry SE
10,765 Posts
Yuck. NY prices are like CA prices. I love being in the midwest! :D

Guess we all learned something today lol

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Most ATFs are good for 30k at most. So, even the WS needs to be changed.

They can flush the transmission with a flush machine just like EVERY OTHER TRANSMISSION.

When they're done, they need to check the level at its correct temp and adjust level as needed.

So, you need $100 worth of WS ATF, $100 for technician labor.... I guess the 3rd $100 goes to support the state.

·
Need For Speed
2011 Camry SE
10,765 Posts
The current models out there, the 2010's, 2011's, state specifically in the maintenance guide that the auto trans fluid no longer needs changing, unless in extreme conditions, and then it can be changed at 100k.

But yes, it can be flushed just as easily as the rest of them. We've never charged $300, ever. Not even close to it.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
When Toyota warranty's the transmission for a lifetime, then I'll change it whenever they want. I've seen some pretty pathetic UOAs of their T-IV and WS ATFs. I wouldn't use either more than 30k at most in easy driving.

Lowering the cost of ownership with reduced maintenance is a way to get you into a more expensive vehicle. I would rather maintain and not be forced to replace the car every few years.

Toyota can shove their maintenance guide up their a$$.

·
Need For Speed
2011 Camry SE
10,765 Posts
I'm just saying. I'm not TELLING you when to change out your danged fluids, I'm just pointing out the facts!!! Why does everyone take everything so personally? *sigh* Working in the shop, I've seen MANY, MANY Toyotas come in with original tranny fluid at 100k and the trans works fine. Just saying, now please don't go crazy.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts