Toyota Nation Forum banner

Auto Transmission Fluid Change / Flush Observations

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  SuperchargedMR2 
#1 ·
Bought a used 2013 Corolla with 91K. Trans fluid was pretty dark, so I decided to do a complete change rather than just drain and fill with 3-4 quarts. Drained the pan and pulled it off. There was probably a good teaspoon of gray metal sludge on the two pan magnets, but no big pieces. I read that this car has a screen not a filter, but mine had a felt filter in it, and the new WIX filter had the same thing. Put the pan back on and put a gallon of Valvoline MAX LIFE full synthetic ATF in it.

If you look down at the front of the transmission you can see two rubber hoses coming off it for the cooler lines. The hose that comes straight up and makes a quick 90 degree bend is the return line. Trace that one out to the metal hard line and pull off. You can just leave that hose hanging, and plug a few feet of 3/8" clear PVC tubing from home depot onto the metal hard line. Put the other end into a clear one gallon jug. You will be pumping fluid out the transmission, through the cooler and into the jug.

I started it up and dirty fluid started to flow into the jug. It did not go too fast to handle myself, maybe about a quart every 10- 15 seconds. I had plenty of time to get out of the car and watch the fluid fill the jug. When it got to about three quarts full I shut off the engine and poured another 3 quarts of new fluid into the trans. Also sat in the car while it was pumping and cycled the gear shifter through all the positions.

I ran 4 gallons through it to get it coming out looking pretty clean. I overfilled it and had to crack the drain plug a turn to drain off half a quart.

I heard stories of people changing dirty fluid and making their transmissions slip, but mine worked fine before and after the fluid swap so hopefully I can get another 100 - 200K out of this tranny. Will do a drain plug drop every other engine oil change to avoid another flush.

See less See more
#2 ·
If mine was changed at about
100000 kilometers first can simply drain and fill 2 3 times help it at 180000? (It works fine but not sure it's Toyota red ws, looks like it's a bit burnt or maybe it was purple when fresh or turned purple on contact with air so they say)

#4 ·
probably if I do at least 2 drain an fills over the next 2 year / 4 oil changes, and by the time its over 200k, i'll change the filter a second time (or first, as im not sure what the overpriced indy mech actually did on the car! I might have refused his offer to change that filter if he offred me a ridiculously high price for that too)

#5 ·
Here's a tip on putting the pan back on. Some gaskets have bolt holes small enough to grip the pan bolts so you can align the gasket easily by popping in the bolts to hold the gasket in place. The rubber gasket from the WIX filter kit had holes that did not grip the bolts. I took four pieces of thin electrical wire and tied the gasket to the pan at the corner bolt holes. After getting most of the bolts started, I untwisted the wires and pulled them out and installed the last four bolts.

#6 ·
Bought a used 2013 Corolla with 91K. Trans fluid was pretty dark, so I decided to do a complete change rather than just drain and fill with 3-4 quarts. Drained the pan and pulled it off. There was probably a good teaspoon of gray metal sludge on the two pan magnets, but no big pieces. I read that this car has a screen not a filter, but mine had a felt filter in it, and the new WIX filter had the same thing. Put the pan back on and put a gallon of Valvoline MAX LIFE full synthetic ATF in it.

If you look down at the front of the transmission you can see two rubber hoses coming off it for the cooler lines. The hose that comes straight up and makes a quick 90 degree bend is the return line. Trace that one out to the metal hard line and pull off. You can just leave that hose hanging, and plug a few feet of 3/8" clear PVC tubing from home depot onto the metal hard line. Put the other end into a clear one gallon jug. You will be pumping fluid out the transmission, through the cooler and into the jug.

I started it up and dirty fluid started to flow into the jug. It did not go too fast to handle myself, maybe about a quart every 10- 15 seconds. I had plenty of time to get out of the car and watch the fluid fill the jug. When it got to about three quarts full I shut off the engine and poured another 3 quarts of new fluid into the trans. Also sat in the car while it was pumping and cycled the gear shifter through all the positions.

I ran 4 gallons through it to get it coming out looking pretty clean. I overfilled it and had to crack the drain plug a turn to drain off half a quart.

I heard stories of people changing dirty fluid and making their transmissions slip, but mine worked fine before and after the fluid swap so hopefully I can get another 100 - 200K out of this tranny. Will do a drain plug drop every other engine oil change to avoid another flush.
I've heard of many owners that continually do a drain and refill every oil change or 2 so they are continually adding fresh fluid.

Reactions: stvotw
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.