Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, i'm trying to flush my auto tans. and i went to NAPA store today to buy Trans. fluid and the screen thing, they called it auto trans. filter!?

The guy at the store asked me what kind of auto trans is?
mine is 1998 Camry LE - 2.2 L DOHC I4 ! that's what i told him
but then he told me there is two kind of auto trans. for those 4cyl. Camrys! He said that one filter(the screen thing) is with those numbers: A540H (this one was $17.59) and the other one is: A140L ( this one was $10.99)

So my question is? How can i find out what kind of trans. is in my car, i mean, whats the number of my trans. is it A540H or is it A140L ????
and another thing is, after u take off the fluid pan, is there any gasket that u have to buy ?
Thanks!:)

ps: by the numbers on my transmission that it says 2.2L DOHC I4, i think is the second number A140L but still not that sure! the only thing that i see on my trans. when i open the hood is number 58 marked with black marker, that's about it!
Thanks ppl:)

·
Registered
Camry
6,925 Posts
From what I can find, you have a A140E. The A541E is for the V6.

I have a gasket for that trans I bought from Napa a while back before I totaled the car. You can have it if you pay shipping.

The filter doesn't need replacement. You just clean it with new fluid.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
is that sticker on the side driver door, when u open the door, u can see it on the side, on the door frame .... it says A/TM: A140E IF ITS THAT, THEN THAT'S THE ONE!
BUT U GUYS SAYIN THAT I DONT HAVE TO REPLACE THE FILTER!?
IT HAS 119.000 MILES ON IT?!?!?
THNX

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
The "filter" is just a metal box with a screen in it. You can rinse it out pretty reliably though it's pretty skinny. If you don't want to bother you can just buy a new one. When I bought mine at Auto Zone it came in a kit with the gasket. Go buy one and make sure that you can return it if you don't use it. Then you will have the option once you eyeball the one that you remove.

Kep

·
Dave's
1,946 Posts
That's the sticker. I didn't replace the gasket and filter until 220K miles and then only because I had to clean a shift solenoid. As kep said the gasket and filter came in the kit. Did I need the filter? Probably not. Easy to change tho. If you pull the pan, note where the magnets are, they need to stay pretty close to their original position. Some change the fluid about every other oil change because you don't get nearly all of the fluid by draining. Some have a separate diff which some change as well. Make sure you can remove the fill plug before removing the drain on that however.

·
Registered
133 Posts
The "filter" is just a metal box with a screen in it. You can rinse it out pretty reliably though it's pretty skinny. If you don't want to bother you can just buy a new one.

Use brake cleaner or clean ATF and apply from the intake end. If you get a new pickup/screen I would flush it with clean ATF anyway. The screen I bought from AAP had tiny bits of lint inside of it, right out of the box.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok, i need a sugestion?
If i first drain the old fluid out, then put new ATF, run the car for few minutes, and then drain the new ATF i just put in, and after that put again NEW ATF ... is it going to be ok?
What diference is going to be? anybody!? will the car shoft faster then shifts now? i mean, now it takes litle time until shifts from the 3rd speed to the 4th?
anybody any answer!?
thanks

·
Registered
Camry
6,925 Posts
That'll be fine. You could do it every oil change for a few oil changes also. Each time you drain you get about 1/4 to 1/3 of the fluid out (I don't remember the exact amount). Eventually you'll dilute the old stuff and it'll all be new...sorta. IIRC you need just over 2 quarts for each drain and refill.

What you'll notice immediately is smoother shifts but not faster shifts.

·
Dave's
1,946 Posts
The car has to reach a minimum temp before it will shift the last time. So the 1st time it pretty much always seems to take awhile and may seem harsh due to being at higher revs.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts