Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
straight cash homie
21,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.autoblog.com/2010/09/05/report-toyota-plans-budget-sports-car-line/
Akio Toyoda may want to bring driving excitement back to Toyota, but he and his team have two major hurdles to overcome: The brands's limited enthusiast base and the fact that Japan's youth have very little interest in cars.

To combat both fronts, Toyota plans to launch a new line of budget-oriented vehicles that offer a modicum of sport. But so far, things don't look too promising.

Despite debuting an FT-86-based concept at this year's Tokyo Auto Salon, Toyota's G Sports line of products have mainly focused on the Voxy and Noah minivans, while a "sports" version of the Prius is apparently in the works.

More interestingly, the Mainichi Daily News reports that a version of the GRMN sports car concept has been given the greenlight, meaning a mid-engined hybrid successor to the MR2 is in the works.

All these developments come after Toyota established a sports vehicle management division in January, which now has a hand in the brand's overall product planning. We should get a look at the fruits of their labors during next year's auto show season and could see this new breed of budget sports vehicles on the market – at least in Japan – within the next few years.
Sounds promising, but like I say with the FT86, we'll believe it when we see them.

·
Banned
0 Posts
All these developments come after Toyota established a sports vehicle management division in January, which now has a hand in the brand's overall product planning. We should get a look at the fruits of their labors during next year's auto show season and could see this new breed of budget sports vehicles on the market – at least in Japan – within the next few years.
Sounds to me like they know better than to try to compete in America against American sport's cars. Wise decision. They already found out how loyal American full size truck buyers are...American sports car buyers are even more loyal.

·
CRESSIDA!!!
1984 Toyota Cressida
5,632 Posts
Sounds to me like they know better than to try to compete in America against American sport's cars. Wise decision. They already found out how loyal American full size truck buyers are...American sports car buyers are even more loyal.
That's not it at all. Traditionally a car is launched in Japan before other markets. And the sports car buyer who buys a Mustang or Corvette is a different breed than the one who buys a Supra or 370Z. There's enough room for both, as evidenced by past sales of the Celica, MR2, and Supra.

·
11,504 Posts
So true. Toyota would be crazy to bring over a reliable and durable sports car when American sports car buyers are so used to their unreliable, failure prone and costly to maintain machines. The nerve

·
Banned
0 Posts
So true. Toyota would be crazy to bring over a reliable and durable sports car when American sports car buyers are so used to their unreliable, failure prone and costly to maintain machines. The nerve
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: You crack me up! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

You mean like the superior MR2, Celica and Supra that Toyota canned? :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
straight cash homie
21,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's not it at all. Traditionally a car is launched in Japan before other markets. And the sports car buyer who buys a Mustang or Corvette is a different breed than the one who buys a Supra or 370Z. There's enough room for both, as evidenced by past sales of the Celica, MR2, and Supra. They were sales flops they're entire lifetime.
To add, there are some owners including some here that will cross over and jump between the two breed of cars, because for most car guys, speed sells regardless of national origin.

Anyway, the non-American car to come close to competing with the Americans is the Hyundai Genesis, though I don't think their real target was the Pony cars, and it hardly has made a dent in any of their sales (American nostalgia sells well). The 370Z seems to compete, but it is positioned more as a Porsche fighter. But yes, Japanese sports cars were never really competitive against the Americans given their high prices, though of course, they were always desirable.

The American sports car is blessed with "lower" prices and great bang for the buck; its target audience is typically more mature and grew up in a earlier era when hot rod sold cars. Nowadays, these owners are financially stable and have the capital to purchase not just the cars, but also aftermarket parts as well.

Toyota is targeting the more recent crowd (more my age group) who grew up with imports (first Hondas, now Subarus, Mazda & Mitsubishi). I will say that this group is probably less affluent than the "American" crowd, the younger generation is growing up more with these cars than with American vehicles. I might also go on a limb and say that this group is much "diverse", because it seems that the typical American cars owner is the WASP male.

·
11,504 Posts
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: You crack me up! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

You mean like the superior MR2, Celica and Supra that Toyota canned? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Thanks I think :} Good point, though they weren't discontinued because they weren't reliable or durable.

·
Toyota Fanboy
4,486 Posts
If the performance is there and the price is reasonable, people will buy it. Even people who currently own American sports cars. The reason why Toyota scrapped the MR2, Supra and Celica isnt because they werent good cars that performed well. They scrapped them because at the time, the beancounters at Toyota were looking only at profitability. Toyota's sports cars (like most manufacturers' sports cars) werent as profitable as other cars like the Camry and Corolla, so they dropped them from their lineup.
Akio Toyoda has pledged that Toyota will return to the sports car market, so we'll see...

·
Banned
0 Posts
If the performance is there and the price is reasonable, people will buy it. Even people who currently own American sports cars. The reason why Toyota scrapped the MR2, Supra and Celica isnt because they werent good cars that performed well. They scrapped them because at the time, the beancounters at Toyota were looking only at profitability. Toyota's sports cars (like most manufacturers' sports cars) werent as profitable as other cars like the Camry and Corolla, so they dropped them from their lineup.
Akio Toyoda has pledged that Toyota will return to the sports car market, so we'll see...
American sports cars have always been profitable...unlike their econoboxes.

Why weren't Toyota's sports cars profitable?

·
straight cash homie
21,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Why weren't Toyota's sports cars profitable?
The Yen made not just Toyota's sports cars, but other Japanese sports cars cost way too much during the mid 90s, with many of them loaded with lots of technology. The insurance on these cars (Dodge Stealth included) were just through the roof as well. New ODBII emissions standards also spelled the demise as well as many of these cars (Toyota had trouble certifying the Supra Turbo after '96).

With all that, sales declined for everyone. For the domestics, the SN95 Mustang was on the scene, and the last generation Camaro and Pontiac Firebird/Trans Am were out during these times.

Personally, I think cars like the E36 BMW M3 also put a hurt on sales, as it came in reasonably priced against the Japanese, even if it was slower than most of them. However, the luxury and BMW name made up for it.

·
Newbie One Kanobi
2003 Toyota ECHO!!
8,986 Posts
Budget Sporty cars or sports cars? Isn't that cars with ground effects and badges? i.e. Scion? So no sports credibility?
:facepalm::facepalm:

We'll see. Obviously its quite a different market in Japan. Cause we like high hp cars with torque.

·
Toyota Fanboy
4,486 Posts
:lol: :facepalm: Riiiiiight, sure they have been. :lol: Thats why GM scrapped the Camaro/Firebird and Chrysler scrapped the Viper. I'll give you that the Mustang and Corvette have been profitable, but lets not make the wild claim that ALL American sports cars have been profitable.

·
Banned
0 Posts
:lol: :facepalm: Riiiiiight, sure they have been. :lol: Thats why GM scrapped the Camaro/Firebird and Chrysler scrapped the Viper. I'll give you that the Mustang and Corvette have been profitable, but lets not make the wild claim that ALL American sports cars have been profitable.
All of them except for the V6 and/or stripped down models were.

If GM scrapped the Camaro/Firebird for not being profitable, why didn't they scrap the majority of their econoboxes then? Hmmmm?

·
11,504 Posts
All of them except for the V6 and/or stripped down models were.

If GM scrapped the Camaro/Firebird for not being profitable, why didn't they scrap the majority of their econoboxes then? Hmmmm?
They needed them so they could keep selling V-8 powered Camaros and Corvettes, since they will never be fuel economy champs.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts