Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
'91 MR2 Turbo
19,831 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Once again, I need your advice guys, opinions and input.

I'm going to paint my MR2 myself.
I will sand it down to bare metal. My question is which type sander is best suited for this? Electric or pneumatic?

I've narrowed down the color that I want to do. Either red, candy apple red or white.
What type paint do you recommend? Acrylic , lacquer,water based, metallic based?
And which type sprayer do you recommend? HVLP or LVLP ?

Thanks

·
CRESSIDA!!!
1984 Toyota Cressida
5,632 Posts
^Agreed, Candy apple red. Red MR2s are beautiful.

Sorry I couldn't answer your question :lol:

·
Registered
HiluxSupraISF
4,529 Posts
oh man, Toyota's look good in red, they just do!
Red LF-A's, Red Supra's, Red Camry's, Red Hilux's, Red Tundra's, Red 1stGenCelica's, Red MR2's <<<<<<<<<<<< READ THAT! :D, red everything hehehehe

·
Premium Member
'91 MR2 Turbo
19,831 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am leaning heavily towards the CAR. I think it'll look good with the rims I have on right now.
And I've been doing alot of reading on autopainting. I think I'm gonna go with a LVLP sprayer.(low volume, low pressure-25-30psi).
I'm also leaning towards an electric sander.

·
Registered
HiluxSupraISF
4,529 Posts
red on gold is an amazing combo.

try practicing on spare panels first!

·
Say no to Cobalts
2007 Camry SE
53 Posts
I'd strongly suggest the HVLP gun...that's what professional body shops use anymore. Pneumatic sander is probably a better bet, but it doesn't really matter. As long as you put the time/effort into it it'll turn out good. Color is up to you, but candy apple red sounds good. I'd go with acrylic enamel...best gloss and durability.

Any questions, feel free to PM me. I work for Sherwin Williams Automotive Finishes, so I'm kinda good with this stuff.

·
Premium Member
'91 MR2 Turbo
19,831 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I'd strongly suggest the HVLP gun...that's what professional body shops use anymore. Pneumatic sander is probably a better bet, but it doesn't really matter. As long as you put the time/effort into it it'll turn out good. Color is up to you, but candy apple red sounds good. I'd go with acrylic enamel...best gloss and durability.

Any questions, feel free to PM me. I work for Sherwin Williams Automotive Finishes, so I'm kinda good with this stuff.
Thank you, but if you don't mind, I would really like to discuss this in open forum, so that others can benefit from it.

Upon further reading, I had already decided to go with a HVLP sprayer. You're right, thats what the Pros are using.

I have many questions as I want to do this right the 1st time.
I realize preparing the surface is crucial,so that step will be paramount with me.

What Brand do you recommend for the Candy Apple automotive paint?
I had also decided on an Acrylic ,but didn't know if it should be Enamel.Thank you for that.

Is a hardener required for this type paint? Thinner? Mineral Spirits?
If so, what ratio?

What Brand/type Primer adhere's best to this type paint?

How soon does the Candy Apple have to be sprayed on primer?
I read somewhere, that only a limited amount of time should pass before applying the color coat.

What about drying temps and time?

How much paint,hardener,thinner,etc., will I need to paint the whole car?

From what I've read,about 1/2 gal. of paint?

What brand Clear Coat do you recommend? How much will I need?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
'91 MR2 Turbo
19,831 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
When you get it done, Russ, I'd like to see pics. :thumbsup:
Will do!
When I get the bumper installed,that I got from ExtremeDimensions, I will post pics and comments of it's fitment.
Then pics of the Primer job and then the Color and Clear coat stage.
Unfortunately,I don't have any real time off until Christmas week. I'm hoping it won't be to cold to paint it.
At that time, Arkansas can be anywhere from 0 to 80 degrees! Crazy

·
That Acura Guy
2,383 Posts
Just a question, but why are you doing this?

·
Premium Member
'91 MR2 Turbo
19,831 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just a question, but why are you doing this?
Painting the MR2?
The paint on several fenders is badly oxidized. I have to keep 2 coats of wax on it every 2 or 3 weeks, as the wax come off quickly with the oxidation, just for it to look halfass decent.
I have also repaired the front bumper 4 or 5 times from hitting crap in the road.Thats why this new one.

It just needs a new paint job. That, and I've always wanted a car in Metal Candy Apple Red!:loove:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts