Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
The Asian Sensation
1996 Lexus SC300
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HOLY CRAP i love this sport!

today i went to autocross for the first time. i had some issues with my car but i luckily got it straigtened out with some help from other racers.

my battery tie-down bolt snapped in half so i had to use rope to help secure it. i failed tech the first tiem cause it sitll jiggled, so i redid the rope and it was ok after that.

i have a question for brink (since i know he will appear in this thread sooner or later ;)): how did you mount your video camera inside your car? i saw some people at the event today that did the same thing but i couldnt relaly figure out how they did it cause they were driving by me.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Sounds fun. My car has been pissing me off recently, and I want to Auto-X just to break something :lol:

·
My Dixie Wrecked
603 Posts
I've just attached a brand new video camera to my car. I just finished it about 20 minutes ago actually. I just used a tripod in the back seat, held down mostly by bungee cords. There's a small club-level auto-x tommorow, so it's going to be trial by fire!
I know it's strong enough that it won't be going anywhere. I'm just worried that it might be a bit bouncy...

·
not actual size
Camry
1,899 Posts
Word up! Glad you had fun, g!

Yeah, I used Wedge's method with the incar vid. What I did was just set up a tripod with two legs in the back floorboards and the third between the seat and center console. Then run a bungee from both the front seats up to the center pole on the tripod to sort of pull it down into the floorboards. Works like a charm!

Well, for some of the video I shot I just stuck the camera in the front dash, but you probably won't pass tech like that :)

There was a post on here somewhere where someone fabricated a metal bracket that fit around the passenger headrest. I'm not sure exactly how that worked, but from the sample vid it seemed to work pretty well.

·
The Asian Sensation
1996 Lexus SC300
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
oh yeah i forgot all the good stuff:

cause of all the time i spent trying to deal with my battery problem, i missed the novice walkthrough so i had to run the course without seeing it before. at least i had an instructor ride with me the first two runs, that was really helpful. my first run was sooo slow, about 105 seconds (most ran 60-70). the secon run i cut off 13 seconds. 3rd run i cut another 7, 4th run i cut another 4.

and here's a pic of my car ready to go:

i gotta go to bed now.... need to get up bright and early tomorrow morning to day two!:D

·
That Geeky Star Wars Girl
674 Posts
^ wow at the local events here you have to have your video camera secured as in like mounted onto a rollbar/harness bar or you cannot participate & won't make it past tech...they don't allow any boro tripod bungee camera mounts here at SCCA.

:thumbup: good job on your first event Xevuhtess77

Keri

·
slowamatic noob
1996 Toyota Camry
3,857 Posts
wow glad you had fun, i'd like to take my camry to an autocross one of these days as well.... :)

·
The Asian Sensation
1996 Lexus SC300
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
day two went pretty well: ill post later tonight bout what happened and ill have some pics and movies (if someoen could host the movies please) but im just so tired right now and im goin out for july 4 with some friends so ill do it later

1 - 9 of 9 Posts