Toyota Nation Forum banner

Automatic braking

5K views 23 replies 14 participants last post by  Highlander2019 
#1 ·
I have a 2018 HL, SE. It has the anti-collision braking. I know it is functioning when using cruise control on the highway because it does a good job of slowing the HL down when I get too close to a car in front of me.

Does it also work when the cruise control is off?

#3 ·
I have a 2018 HL, SE. It has the anti-collision braking. I know it is functioning when using cruise control on the highway because it does a good job of slowing the HL down when I get too close to a car in front of me.

Does it also work when the cruise control is off?
Yes
My question is do the brake lights come on to warn traffic behind me when the anti-collision system slows me down?
Yes

#4 ·
Auto-braking won't slow you gently the way the adaptive cruise control does.

It won't activate until the last possible moment before it thinks you are going to hit an object. Then it will threshold brake (think "panic stop by an expert racing driver"), which is a very dramatic experience if you're not used to it.

#6 ·
We can feel the lurch of the brakes being applied when a car in front of us turns off the road, even though it’s out of the way in plenty of timer to avoid a collision so I don’t think I buy the assertion that it goes into a coasting mode before deciding to brake. It’s so annoying I’ve gotten into the habit of disengaging cruise control when I see someone activate their turn signal in front of me.

#7 ·
Scared the sh**t out of me the first time it happened! This was on a road trip out west with barely 2,000 miles on. I was going about 75 when the vehicle in front of me turned onto the off ramp, as I approached next to it the brakes came on dropping my speed to about 60. This happened a few more times on the trip and I finally figured out to turn off the cruise when a vehicle exits. Toyota definitely needs to fix this.

Reactions: Harleyrider421
#8 ·
I thought this would be a great feature, but personally like some others have mentioned, I've had vehicles ahead of me go to make a turn and it brakes so hard, I've almost been hit from behind by someone following too close. The thing that bothers me the most is the vehicle that was turning wasn't even a danger or that close to me. I wish I just had a simple cruise control. Here in Indiana, you can get a ticket for driving in the passing lane. But if I dont and I've got my cruise set at 65 and someone ahead of me is going 50mph, then next thing I know, I'm doing 50 as well unless I have a opportunity to change lanes. Like the engine shut off button that has to be pressed every time to disengage it...its really annoying !! ?

#10 ·
While the braking thing on cruise control sounds like a good idea, operationally it sucks. If youre cruise control slows you down because the vehicle in front of you is exiting or turning as soon as that vehicle is out of the picture the cruise control will basically floor it to get back up to speed. I don't use this feature just because of this, id rather have to reset after slowing down, after all its just a flip of the switch. I can't prove it but I also think I get better gas mileage using the nonradar controlled cruise control.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

#12 ·
Yes - page 293 of the '18 owner's manual.

When constant speed control mode is selected, your vehicle will maintain
a set speed without controlling the vehicle-to-vehicle distance.
Select this mode only when vehicle-to-vehicle distance control mode
does not function correctly due to a dirty radar sensor, etc.
With the cruise control off,
press and hold the “ON-OFF”
button for 1.5 seconds or more.
Immediately after the “ON-OFF”
button is pressed, the radar cruise
control indicator will come on.
Afterwards, it switches to the cruise
control indicator.
Switching to constant speed control
mode is only possible when
operating the lever with the cruise
control off.

Reactions: FJ60Guy
#14 ·
I like the way they say only use this when radar system is not functioning. I realize they view this as a safety system/feature, however they are trying to protect us from ourselves. I'm not into all this new fangled stuff, especially the self driving cars. Takes the enjoyment out of driving. I was talking to a guy the other day that said his next car was gonna be a Tesla, that way he could just hit the button and take a nap till he got there. Not me, I like the drive.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

#23 ·
I like the adaptive cruise control. Keep in mind it is "straight-ahead" measuring, so on sweeping turns, you may be tracking the vehicle in the next lane!

Here in Austin, TX, we have lots of traffic. Highway 130 is posted at 80 mph, but you get two semi's passing each other and traffic is down to 60 mph then starts speeding back up. I have radar cruise set at 75 and it works great.

On Highway 183 we have a series of sweeping turns. Posted 65mph, but traffic is 60 t0 75 mph. I have a cruise at 65, but those sweeping turns mean my lane is clear but next lane over if a truck doing 55. Radar doesn't realize the road has a sweeping turn and I'm suddenly slowing to 55. So either revert to just driving, or normal cruise control.

I do like the blind spot monitor as I had a motorcycle tucked in there.

Just still bummed that remote start isn't factory item, and SE's are non-perforated leather only.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.