Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have one with +400k miles on the transmission. The oil is discolored, and common sense would dictate a change. But consultations with a tranny re builder said that changing oil with a high mileage unit is known to result in recirculating junk embed in the tranny causing a failure in one that is currently working. In fact this shop does NOT do the extensive tranny flush if the oil is markedly degraged, for this rationale. A pan drop and filter yes, flush no.
btw the tranny works fine now, for now.

Any experience with this set of circumstances?

WW

·
Registered
449 Posts
Is this the first time you will be changing the oil? If so, it's like opening a Pandora box - anything can happen. I wonder how you got to 400k miles without ever servicing the transmission.

If you have been changing the oil regularly (every 100k miles or so), then there should be no issue with flushing the transmission.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Change the fluid and filter and replace just the fluid that is in the pan. Do not try to flush the system. Wait about 2-3 weeks of normal driving, then drain the pan of fluid and replace it again. Do the same a 3rd time and you will be fine.

·
Registered
300 Posts
QUOTE=WellWell: "I have one with +400k miles on the transmission...."

Nicely done! That one is headed for the Tranny Hall of Fame. :clap:

Either leave it be and see how long she goes or do like your mechanic said: drop the pan, change the filter, add new go juice. But no flush.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts