Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So, I've finally put around 5,000 miles on my truck, and I've noticed something really annoying: the transmission. I've never been fond of automatics, and this one just makes me less fond of them. Anyway, the first to second upshift is ridiculously harsh, as if it lunges forward and shudders at the same time (more so at low-med speed - 0-20mph), and the 4th to 5th gear upshift isn't any better, but it's more like the tranny is slamming into gear here. I won't even get into the downshifts, but they're equally as bad. When the truck was brand new, I couldn't even tell when it shifted except on those torquey downshifts.

The delay in the drive-by-wire to automatic transmission control is also a nuisance. You step on the pedal to get the gear you want, but the delay causes me to miss certain opportunities to pass in tight areas. I'll mash on the gas and it'll give me 4th gear (from 5th) after a 2 second delay, then it'll slam into 3rd gear after another 2 seconds and it causes some passenger discomfort (not that I mind much :lol: ). I think the programs in the ECU need work. For now, I just use the shifter to get whatever gear I need. It's much less frustrating.

Yes it's going to the dealer for this and many other things (rattle in the cabin, driver's side grab handle on door pops in and out of place), but I just wanted to know if anyone else is having problems with the automatic tranny on V6 models.

... This seems like nothing compared to some of the 6-spd manual tranny horror stories I've read on X-Runners.

G

·
Well, I have to admit that despite all my complaining about this truck, and saying I wish I never bought it to start with, the tranny shifting has not been an issue. Actually, I think it works pretty good. Even when towing which is where computer controlled shifting really is an issue usually. Sounds like you have issues with your tranny that need attention by the dealer. Doesn't sound like the norm to me at all.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I agree. The tranny in mine is very smooth and refined.

Why not just take it into the dealer and have them check it out? Probably a computer adjustment they can make and fix it.

·
3SGTE & 1GRFE
MR2 Turbo, Taco Dcab
793 Posts
seems to me that if you're getting up to 20mph before it's shifting out of first, you're gassing is pretty good. mine usually shifts to second at around 7-10mph.

in any automatic transmission that's functioning as designed, you will get harder shifts the more you mash the gas. this could be one cause.

-Mike

·
french fried taters
546 Posts
Only problem I have with mine is when the cruise is set. You can go up the smallest hill and it acts like it doesnt know what gear it should be in.

·
WAX museum.
2005 Tacoma
1,390 Posts
Sounds like you deserve transmission problems...

FYI, "passing in tight spots" is not exactly what trucks are designed for either. Funny thing about passing is that you have the option NOT to do it.

Your tranny has taken more of a beating in that one post than probably all the offroading I have done with mine. Including pulling a trailer offroad..

·
Official Misfit
1,453 Posts
clearly manual tranny > auto tranny

·
WAX museum.
2005 Tacoma
1,390 Posts
The manual was a pain in the ass when I shopped around. Pedal area was clearly not designed for the additional pedal. It took me one drive around the block in the manual to write it off....

·
short beds are ghey
495 Posts
[quote='05kesslers]If I had a manual I wouldnt be able to eat and talk on my phone while I drive.[/quote]

Sure you can, you just have to learn to use your elbows more.

·
Row Dialin'
2,832 Posts
I used to use my knees in my automatic BMW. Look ma, no hands!!!

That was when I was trying to smoke and talk on the phone. :nono:

Ahh, college. How many times can you stare death in the face in 4 year period?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Speaking for myself, i like the firm positive feel my automatic tranny has when shifting. Not like the slushbox tranny in my wifes ford taurus. I think toyota got it right when they designed the new auto trans. It sounds like your super E.C.T. is not working corectly 91MR2quickNA! Good luck getting it fixed!

·
Registered
51 Posts
91MR2quickNA said:
So, I've finally put around 5,000 miles on my truck, and I've noticed something really annoying: the transmission. I've never been fond of automatics, and this one just makes me less fond of them. Anyway, the first to second upshift is ridiculously harsh, as if it lunges forward and shudders at the same time (more so at low-med speed - 0-20mph), and the 4th to 5th gear upshift isn't any better, but it's more like the tranny is slamming into gear here. I won't even get into the downshifts, but they're equally as bad. When the truck was brand new, I couldn't even tell when it shifted except on those torquey downshifts.

The delay in the drive-by-wire to automatic transmission control is also a nuisance. You step on the pedal to get the gear you want, but the delay causes me to miss certain opportunities to pass in tight areas. I'll mash on the gas and it'll give me 4th gear (from 5th) after a 2 second delay, then it'll slam into 3rd gear after another 2 seconds and it causes some passenger discomfort (not that I mind much :lol: ). I think the programs in the ECU need work. For now, I just use the shifter to get whatever gear I need. It's much less frustrating.

Yes it's going to the dealer for this and many other things (rattle in the cabin, driver's side grab handle on door pops in and out of place), but I just wanted to know if anyone else is having problems with the automatic tranny on V6 models.

... This seems like nothing compared to some of the 6-spd manual tranny horror stories I've read on X-Runners.

·
Registered
51 Posts
My trcuk is the same way when it shifts 1st gear to second its sluggish and when it shifts to 4th to 5th gear same way. Did you take your tacoma to the dealer? What did they say about this problem? If you have any info shoot me an email.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Wow, most of you guys are rude and childish. I only wanted people to post IF THEY WERE HAVING the same issues. I wasn't asking for your opinions.

The range from 1st to 2nd I listed was 0-20mph, meaning that it feels the same if it shifts at 1mph as it does at 20mph. In bumper to bumper traffic, this lunging/shuddering or transmission slip like feeling is unacceptable. This occurs during NORMAL driving or letting the engine rev to around 2k RPM. I hardly ever go past 4k RPM unless I'm merging on the freeway.

If you don't have any problems, then DON'T POST in this thread.

:disappoin

·
Engine 80 is in service
'10 FJ Cruiser 4x4
1,040 Posts
Nice to see the changing of the calendar did little to dampen the spirits around here. :lol:

That problem doesn't sound normal to me, man. I haven't experienced anything like that in my truck. I'd definitely visit the service department.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts