Toyota Nation Forum banner

Automatic Transmission Trouble shooting

5K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  Forsure 
#1 ·
I have a Corolla 2003 SE Saloon with Automatic Transmission. It has done 66000 km, almost trouble free, company maintained, 2nd owner.

A month ago, i encountered a surprise problem. On the first start in the morning, when I put the lever from parking to D or R, nothing happened. All indication lights come on, even reverse beeper sounds, but no physical thrust is felt and car does not move. A simple inspection of engine and gear area revealed no problem. Oil level is fine too. Surprisingly the problem dissappeared and the car became ok after a rest of 2-3 hrs.

The problem reappeared 20 days later, on a slightly cool morning, just after the first start of the day. Then again I tried everything but the car would not move, with all indications normal. With ATF level ok, it just felt like an electrical intermittence, however it would not show up on any indication lights. My mechanic removed the electrical connector to the gear box, and refixed it, after some adjustment, the problem got fixed.

I took the car to Toyota, who gave it a 1 hr test drive, with the diagnostic computer fitted. They did not come up with any finding. Somehow I am convinced that the problem is of an intermittent solenoid, connection, or something, but the engineers did not have a clear answer, and want me to wait till I get stranded somewhere again. This is not my way of handling things, and I would like a proper diagnosis.

So my question to my friends is. With gear oil ok, Why does my corolla car sometimes fail to move, when I shift the ATM selector to D, R, L, or L2? And why does it become ok again? Has anyone encountered similar problem, what do i need to do? My dillemma is, unless it happens again, the workshop does not seem to have a clue. Is there something wrong with the electrical connector, the solenoids etc ??

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
I experienced the same problem with my 03 corolla S. I was told that it could be a bad transmission, however after replacing it with a used one from the wreck yard the same problem exists. My car would not go into gear when i put it into D,R,2, or L. It starts fine, but would not go. I don't understand why its like that but hopefully I can get my car working by doing what your mechanic did to yours. So by any chance where is the electrical connector located and how did your mechanic refix it??? Anything will help. Thanks.

#4 ·
I had a 2004 Corolla automatic and had the same problem, except it would not shift from 1st to 2nd then completely stoped moving in D, blown tranny, bought a used one from a scrap yard.

The biggest indicationg of a dying tranny is shuddering when moving from a stop on D, if your car does that, consider the tranny toast.

#5 ·
Some time ago I posted this message.
It seems we are getting the same problem.

I am having what could be a serious problem with my almost new Corolla 2004 with only 8000 miles.
If I leave the car parked for say more than a week, I then start it when cold and try to go into reverse the car takes (lags) like 5 or 6 seconds to sort of engage the gear.
At first it sort of like starts to go but not fully (slips) and after that it goes solid in to reverse.
I hope you understand my explanation??
Dealer has preformed the hydraulic test, reset the memory, and changed the ATF oil .
I think it may be that the pump of the traine needs to recharge itself.
It does not happened if you let the engine idle for 30 sec. or so.
Thank you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.