Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
JDM 93 Toyota Mr-2
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys was there ever a automatic mr2 turbo manufactured?

·
Now with even more BOOST
279 Posts
Ahhh but there WAS an all trac turbo. So if you are looking to slap a 3S-GTE onto an auto, it is possible. Email me for more info.

·
Registered
500 Posts
EDIT: Sorry, my narrow minded prejudice against automatic transmissions got away from me there for a moment. Won't happen again.

·
3SGTE & 1GRFE
MR2 Turbo, Taco Dcab
793 Posts
automatics have their place. just not in sports cars.

there was never an automatic turbo MR2 produced. i believe they never made any automatic all tracs either. i've never seen or heard of one.

-Mike

·
Registered
JDM 93 Toyota Mr-2
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah i think ive seen a automatic all trac on a car site in japan!

·
Now with even more BOOST
279 Posts
NESW20 said:
automatics have their place. just not in sports cars.

there was never an automatic turbo MR2 produced. i believe they never made any automatic all tracs either. i've never seen or heard of one.

-Mike

Just because you havent seen an auto alltrac in the states doesnt mean they dont exist elsewhere. I have the engine, harness, AND ECU to proove it :)

While im not a fan of auto's they are one of the best ways to get consistant ET's at the strip. One of the fastest supras on the east coast is an auto. With a transmission controller you can program shift points, lockup etc... Kinda cool But you are absolutely correct about there never having been an automatic turbo MR2 from the factory.

·
Registered
10 Posts
If you put a nice torque conveter an auto turbocharged car is possibly faster than the same setup manual I've seen it happen in drags. Only becuase the turbo doesn't spool down during shifts.

·
Registered
42 Posts
There was a automatic camry alltrack but im pretty sure it wasnt turbo

·
jdm 2nd gen ftw!
mr2 turbo
265 Posts
im so glad there wasnt a auto....i feel sorry for auto turbo cars under such a constant boost that turbo must hate it....(aka dsm used to have 1 ..lol dont break.. dont break... dont break....)...was manual btw ya right me with a auto car :p

·
Noob :-)
ST185 & MCV20
507 Posts
There is no automatic Celica Alltrac.
There is automatic Camry, Previa and Corolla Alltrac, but none of them came with 3sgte.
There is Caldina GT4 that is automatic and got later generation 3sgte.

·
Now with even more BOOST
279 Posts
ST185 said:
There is Caldina GT4 that is automatic and got later generation 3sgte.
That has got to be it! I have been trying to figure out where the heck the celica this engine came from was available. It MUST be a Caldina engine and ECU then. Is there some way I can find out? The engine is a GEN 1 3S-GTE and came with a small A2W IC aswell. I know its a GEN I because it has the single entry manifold/turbo and the solid metal HFH instead of rubber. It makes sense that it was hooked to a auto since the GEN I made such little power at stock boost levels.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts