Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Platinum Shift Customs
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
"...The Nissan Skyline GT-R muscle car is coming to the United States, possibly as early as the 2008 model year. What isn't certain is whether it will be sold under the Nissan or Infinity Brand.
Most sources belive the redesigned supercoup will be an Infinity. This year Nissan Motor Co. trademarked the name Infinity GT-R. There are no specifics on the car. Speculation on the engine is that it will be a turbocharged V-6 with as much as 400hp." - Automotive News Aug 16, 04

This should be interesting, I have the news about the released Toyota & Lexus plans but they are over a page long. If anyone wants I CAN type it all out.

Jeff

·
F'ing 3sgte swap ARGH!!!!
Celica 6th Gen Convt
808 Posts
just as long as they do not make a left hand drive model...

i'll be so damned pi$$sed if they do..

Nissan Nissan, please keep the skyline as the only car which is only manfactured in the right hand drive and let me maintain my love for u.

·
Auto-Cross Addict
3,837 Posts
400hp? I head about this a long time back. There was word going around about a Skyline that would be pushing 400hp.

Although Japan has a law banning making cars over 270hp. But they would have been able to get around it by claiming it as a Special Order vehicle, and not a production model.

But I assume by now the body design has changed. So I don't know if it is really the same car...

·
Platinum Shift Customs
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I dont think it would be legal to manufacture a car for NA that is right hand drive, but that is just a stipulation of mine.

You have to remmeber the majority of the popularion is stupid and wouldnt know what to do with a car that was controlled from the other side.

·
Auto-Cross Addict
3,837 Posts
Yeah, they convert everything when it comes over. Hense all cars you have ever driven, Vs. every car in Japan.

I don't know if it a law however. But I know they will do it for sure.

·
Platinum Shift Customs
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Im assuming that price on something like this would be in the $50-60k range in CA$

·
5M-GE
2,901 Posts
SmokingTiresV6 said:
Although Japan has a law banning making cars over 270hp. But they would have been able to get around it by claiming it as a Special Order vehicle, and not a production model.
I don't think it's a law, but more a gentlemen's agreement of no higher than 280ps, or 276hp.

The North American Infiniti Q45 has 340hp.

Its JDM equivalent, the Nissan Cima, is just as fast. But has 276hp...

The MKIV Supra here has 320hp.
It has 276hp over there, does it not?

But the JDM model may even be faster than our 320hp model.

It's only the rating...

·
Platinum Shift Customs
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You must have mis-understood what I said - I said to MANUFACTURE a vehicle for NORTH AMERICA...not import...and those limited prod vehicles that are RHD are NOT available to the general public.

·
5M-GE
2,901 Posts
SolaraTRD said:
U can import cars over to US that are right hand driven.
after you do a whole bunch of safety and emissions junk that waters down whatever you're trying to import (Skyline GT-R, for example).

This issue is much simpler in Canada... a car can be brought in as-is with no safety or emissions alterations as long as it is 14 years old. So, I think R32 Skylines can be brought to Canada now.

·
Celica 6th Gen Convt
808 Posts
the nissian skyline is the only car in the world that is MANAFUCTURED <--- only in the right hand drive...

sometimes, tat's y i dun like this place, majority of the world is driving on the right, and only here in the states and some other few place are on the LHD system...

the reason y i love the skyline tat much after my baby is the fact that the are only RHD, and u can do mods to change it to a LHD, but the end of the day, it's the only car in the world tat is MANUFACTURED ONLY IN THE RHD setup

·
Celica 6th Gen Convt
808 Posts
haa haa.. i totally agree with u, but u shd rephrase, majority of the population to .... majority of the americian population are stupid,

i was here for only 1 month when i got my license and i didn't even practise driving on the left and i went straight for my drivers test.

and when i told some of my american frds when i first came, that from where i come from, we drive on the right... they were like.. WOAH, are u guys dumb or something... how do u control the car from the right... but they do not know tat this is the only place that tries to be funny and wierd and not comform to the whole world's standards...

sigh.. and the irony is, i've to travel here to study... a mixed feelings of love and hate..

Hatch said:
I dont think it would be legal to manufacture a car for NA that is right hand drive, but that is just a stipulation of mine.

You have to remmeber the majority of the popularion is stupid and wouldnt know what to do with a car that was controlled from the other side.

·
The Smashing Pumpkins
335 Posts
Skyline?

About two weeks ago here in San Diego, CA.(US) I saw a Silver Infinity G35 coupe, with "SKYLINE" written on the back in Silver lettered emblems. It didn't say Infinity or G35 anywhere, but it's really easy to tell from the body style. Anyways, the letters looked like they came that way on the car from teh factory, but who knows maybe they didn't. What do you all make of this?

·
^
4,197 Posts
In Japan, the G35 is the Skyline. But the Skyline GTR is a different car alltogether. You could order a 4 door R32/R33/R34/V35 Skyline non-turbo.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Deep said:
In Japan, the G35 is the Skyline. But the Skyline GTR is a different car alltogether. You could order a 4 door R32/R33/R34/V35 Skyline non-turbo.
The older skylines have different generation RB's in them. The R34 sedan, for instance, has a Neo straight-6 RB-25, unlike the RB-26 in the GT-R. It's a displacement difference, but the RB's in the skylines came anywhere from 2.0L to 2.6L Inline-6 configuration. They are very stout motors and all come with decently-sized turbochargers. the V35 is the first generation to be NA instead of turbo, and it's disappointing to me, but I guess it works. There are so many ridiculous configurations of the Skyline (GT, GT-Turbo(larger turbo), Base, Spec-R, Spec-V GT-R, GT-R, Sedan, Sedan GT, Type-M, GT-R Type-M, bla, bla) it's easy to be confused of what's under the hood. One of my friends in Cincinnati has an R-33 GT-R that he bought from Moto and it's an awesome car, but he's had nothing but problems with it and nothing but disasters trying to get replacement parts.

·
^
4,197 Posts
I'm almost 100% positive that there was an RB25DE in the GTS25. There was also an RB2X engine offered in the 400R that had 2.8L.

·
Registered
8 Posts
If they do make the skyline, and it looks somewhat like the old body style, it might be one of the only resonably priced sports cars i would trade my mustang for. With AWD, and turbos, and a strong engine, that car is simply amazing for a street machine. It would be deadly from a stoplight race.
Mike

1 - 17 of 17 Posts