Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got back from my dealer, and while there asked about how long I could expect the battery that starts the car should last. Live in Arizona where batteries don't last very long. Didn't get a good answer. Also he couldn't tell me what group battery is required. Would prefer when it's time to replace with an AGM battery.

Do I have to use the Toyota replacement or is there a group size that can be substituted ? If you replaced this battery what did you use?

·
6,179 Posts
You have 2 batteries.
1. 12V battery, that one being deep cycle AGM battery with thermistor (temp sensor) and gas vents. Thermistor you simply unplug, GENTLY peel off and then reinstall onto a new battery. Maybe tape over to secure in place. NO ONE makes battery with vent hose provision, unless there is new development that I do not know off, I have heard rumors in Prius forum. Usually, folks replace 12V with Yellow Top Optima but there are less costly options from Energizer and other battery manufacturers. You do not need cranking power as that battery does not start your engine. OEM Panasonic usually lasts 7-10 years. threshold is anything less than 11.7V state of charge.

Please read carefully: provide back up power during battery replacement (15-20 min or so) as in some cases, simple removal results in major explosion of warning lights in the dash. A simple back up through power outlet will do. If this happened, cycle vehicle Start/Shut down 3 complete cycles in a row.
2. Traction, or hybrid battery. Those last average 7-10 years, Toyota syas - for the lifetime of vehicle. This is a major $$ item and requires special trained technician.

Also, you need a better mechanic, if your dealer does not know such basic things.
If you have navigation, sit in the car, turn key to Aux or II position, or press Start button twice without touching brake pedal. Then press and hold Info button on nav, while flipping light stalk On/Off 3-5 times in a row. Full lights/Off. This should put nav into diagnostic mode display and you can track battery voltage from there.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Just got back from my dealer, and while there asked about how long I could expect the battery that starts the car should last. Live in Arizona where batteries don't last very long. Didn't get a good answer. Also he couldn't tell me what group battery is required. Would prefer when it's time to replace with an AGM battery.

Do I have to use the Toyota replacement or is there a group size that can be substituted ? If you replaced this battery what did you use?
First - find someone more knowledgable to talk to at the dealer. Or a different dealer.

Second - please note ukrkoz's cautions. When it comes time to replace your 12v battery, the dealer's service dept. should automatically provide backup power, but other places might not. I wasn't aware until reading ukrkoz's post that apparently there is now much more involved than simply losing your entertainment system presets from losing that power.

Third - it bears repeating that since the Toyota hybrid 12v is not used to start the car, the old standard of replacing batteries that come with a new vehicle after 3 years doesn't apply. I have a 2012 Prius C with 128,000 miles and just replaced the original 12v last month. ( Also still riding on original pads and rotors. Thank you regen braking! :)

·
6,179 Posts
Reason being, 12V is simply an energy storage backing up all ECUs and other electronics. When depowered, they may get confused after power restoration.
Having issues is not common. Majority of 12V "simple" replacements went well. Some had to cycle system. Some, not many, ended with vehicle towed to dealer to have codes cleared.One member reported $544 bill along for that.

Quoting classic - Do you feel lucky? Cheap 12V backup from Walmart that can be easily returned is great insurance.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Check other hybrid car forums for 12v batteries. There are AGM batteries with vent tubes that are exact fit for hybrids. They are usually special order and/or overnight deliveries. The forum users found an exact match for my other hybrid, the ones sent to my dealer just have a different sticker on it and much higher price.
Not sure what precautions you have when changing it if you don't keep the circuit active.

·
TableRocked
144 Posts
Did anyone have the dealer do it? If so, I’d be curious of the cost.

I’ve not had to replace any batteries on my Hybrids except the keyfob

·
Registered
493 Posts
Shouldn't this thread be in the Gen 4 area? I know the info is universal to both Gens, but there might be 2013 owners looking for the same info.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Check other hybrid car forums for 12v batteries. There are AGM batteries with vent tubes that are exact fit for hybrids. They are usually special order and/or overnight deliveries. The forum users found an exact match for my other hybrid, the ones sent to my dealer just have a different sticker on it and much higher price...
Specific information would be helpful, please. Otherwise, not useful.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts