Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've just noticed that Mobil 1 now has a 0w-16 out (Walmart), but it is API SN, SN Plus. The 2019 calls for SN/RC (Resource Conserving) which provides additional efficiencies (and/or protection) for certain components.

Anybody know of any oil out there that is fully synthetic 0w-16 that is also SN/RC? Also filters? Presumably I can order Toyota oil and filters on Amazon, but I haven't checked to confirm yet.

I would like to do a first oil change myself at 5k and also have an oil analysis done to use as a baseline for the life of the vehicle.

And no, I don't want to pay to have the dealer do it.:wink:

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
You can buy the oil at a Dealer Parts Department. But I would use the Mobil 1 0W-16 motor oil if it were me. The chances of them denying a warranty claim because it is not RC rated is very close to zero.

·
Registered
10 Posts
You can buy the oil at a Dealer Parts Department. But I would use the Mobil 1 0W-16 motor oil if it were me. The chances of them denying a warranty claim because it is not RC rated is very close to zero.
You seem pretty confident that not being RC is not an issue. Reasons? I've been a fan of Mobil products, would like to use this if appropriate.

Pennzoil makes a 0W-16 SN-RC but I don't see it commercially available, at least locally.

·
Registered
2019 XLE Premium AWD
439 Posts

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
0W-16 is a fuel economy maximizing oil, not an engine protection maximizing oil. Countries outside of the USA and Canada don't have government imposed fuel economy standards and so Toyota owners manuals tell owners they can use a wide range of viscosities from 0W-16 to 15W-40 in the new A25A series 4 cylinder engines (I've used 5W-30 in my A25A for 13,000 miles and counting).

Example from a 2019 Australian Camry owners manual:

Attachments

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
0W-16 is a fuel economy maximizing oil, not an engine protection maximizing oil. Countries outside of the USA and Canada don't have government imposed fuel economy standards and so Toyota owners manuals tell owners they can use a wide range of viscosities from 0W-16 to 15W-40 in the new A25A series 4 cylinder engines (I've used 5W-30 in my A25A for 13,000 miles and counting).

Example from a 2019 Australian Camry owners manual:
That makes sense, but I wonder if the engines manufactured for the US market have tighter tolerances at least for some parts, making 0w-16 a better choice. If not, then 0w-20 is probably not going to be any significant deal over 0w-16 in terms of fuel economy. At least on a single vehicle. En masse, maybe...

In thinking about it at least from what the US manual states - I doubt 0w-20 causes any problems from a wear perspective for US engines (meaning US engine tolerances are the same as other markets). Otherwise the manual wouldn't allow its use until the next oil change when 0w-16 can't be had.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
That makes sense, but I wonder if the engines manufactured for the US market have tighter tolerances at least for some parts, making 0w-16 a better choice. If not, then 0w-20 is probably not going to be any significant deal over 0w-16 in terms of fuel economy. At least on a single vehicle. En masse, maybe...

In thinking about it at least from what the US manual states - I doubt 0w-20 causes any problems from a wear perspective for US engines (meaning US engine tolerances are the same as other markets). Otherwise the manual wouldn't allow its use until the next oil change when 0w-16 can't be had.
A difference of just 0.1 MPG could potentially bump them up to the next whole number (EPA and CAFE standards don't use decimal places). There are a bunch of things they are trying to do to increase fuel mileage, and if they each contribute 0.1 or 0.2 MPG it can add up. The upcoming CAFE requirements in about 5 years are going to be brutal, unless there are Republican politicians who are willing to scale them back. There won't be many V6 engines around. On the newest Mercedes Benz E Class sedan, the standard engine is now a 4 cylinder, unless you move up to the AMG version.

OW-20 will provide better engine longevity than 0W-16, not less. But that doesn't mean that you can use 10W-40 to get even better engine longevity. The reason for the push of 0W-16 is for better fuel economy.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts