Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see that for EACH front strut (left and right) KYB has four different part numbers:

1. Up to 1/2006 XL, XLS & Limited
  2. Up to 1/2006 Touring
  3. 1/2006 and after XL, XLS & Limited
  4. 1/2006 and after Touring
For the rear struts, the only distinction other than left or right is before or since 1/2006.

Monroe shows the same pre/since 1/2006 distinction for their front and rear struts but they do not show different part numbers for the Touring model.

I assume the Touring model struts have more compression and/or rebound dampening. Does anyone know what the actual differences are between XL/XLS/Limited vs. Touring struts?

What change was made to 1/2006 and later struts?

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
Ask the manufacturer questions about their products.

When my pillow soft wallowing Limited struts wear out, I'm going to get the touring struts. Getting tired of the bouncy bounce on the highway.

·
Registered
15 Avalon Touring SE
342 Posts
I have a pre 1/06 that I used the KYB struts all around with the touring spec in front on my XLS. They are as stiff as I'd want to go with this car. I also have a TRD rear sway bar that is listed for the Solara but will also fit the Avalon up to 1/06. The control difference is noticeable, the car is much more nimble. The best way to describe it is if someone chopped about 400 lbs from the car. I appreciate a stiffer, more responsive suspension no matter what car I drive.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Not exactly on topic but just a warning. I replaced OE shocks with KYB in my corolla and it was the worst decision I ever made. KYB shocks were severely under damped. Any crack or bump would send the whole car rattling.

There's a difference between stiff because of compression/rebound rate and under damped. Stiff is one hit and done where the shocks take a beating whereas underdamped is hit and done but the whole chassis takes a beating.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts