Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone discovered an alternative to paying the dealer an outrageous fee to update the in car navigation system?

·
Registered
2018 Avalon Limited,
10 Posts
Simply, don't use it. Use Waze or Google. even if updated it still a year old. Bought a 2018 in 19, declined dealers offer to update. Just useless.

·
Registered
2013 XLE Touring V6
140 Posts
Unfortunately, if you'd like to use an in-dash navigation, Toyota's native navigation isn't that great. I'm forced to agree with bratcliff in saying that the simplest way to get a better nav unit is to use something other than Toyota's native unit. The simplest solution is to just use your smartphone when necessary. The screen may be smaller, but it's always updated and works nearly everywhere.

An aftermarket head unit (one with Google Maps or Apple Maps) could be put in to replace your original but it's not the most eloquent solution. Compromises would have to be made to integrate it and for most people the compromises aren't worth the hassle or the $$$$.

·
Registered
Toyota Avalon
80 Posts
2016 and newer can be updated yourself. See below.

·
Registered
2013 XLE Touring V6
140 Posts
Silversedan, if you truly want just a map update, I think you'll need to visit the dealer. In previous posts you indicate that you've got a '13 Hybrid Limited. I'm pretty sure that the original was the "Prem HDD Navi w/Entune & JBL" unit. From what I could find on that one, it's a dealer update only.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts