Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im considering getting a Toyota Avalon and wanted to know what everyone's opinion is regarding the reliability, durability, miles and any problems everyone has run into. Im looking for a car that gets at least 22 MPG in the city, roomy trunk and interior, some performance (not wanting a sports car, just some pep) and VERY reliable car with few/no problems.

Any help is very much appreciated.

Kevin
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
55 Posts
What generation. i belive it is like 97,97,98 get great gas mileage. I drove from Vegas to San Diego on half a tank of gas and part of the way i had ect mode on. Speaking of Ect mode it is one of the greatest things about the avalon. It essentially allows you to shift at higher rpms in an automatic car for times when you want a more agressive acceleration.

One thing to watch out in this generation is power steering. and I think that is pretty much it. I am satisfied with my avalon but I haven't decided if i like it or not. I mean it is a good car but i didn't chose to get it was given to me. But it has many great features. Like a large trunk. I stuck my christmas tree in the trunk it was about 4 ft tall.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks much for the reply. I was looking more around the 2005 models. Trying to decide between the avalon and Honda Accord. Ive heard equal things both ways. Someone has even pointed out the Jetta and Passat, but Ive heard soem reliability issues with them. What have you guys heard about VW?

I think its bewteen the Accord and Avalon.
 

·
'95 LC & '96 Avalon
1995 Mustang Cobra
Joined
·
17 Posts
Honda or Toyota; either way you can't go wrong. I have 216k on my '96 Avalon that I bought new. Other than replaciing 'o' rings on injectors this month; only things changed have been fluids and brake pads. Still has original exhaust.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
266 Posts
kinsco276 said:
Thanks much for the reply. I was looking more around the 2005 models. Trying to decide between the avalon and Honda Accord. Ive heard equal things both ways. Someone has even pointed out the Jetta and Passat, but Ive heard soem reliability issues with them. What have you guys heard about VW?

I think its bewteen the Accord and Avalon.
You can't really compare those cars. They are all in different leagues. You can compare a Civic to a Corolla to a Jetta. And an Accord to a Camry to a Passat. But the only car comparable to an Avalon is a Maxima. American cars don't count, they suck. VW's are not as reliable, check out Consumers Reports. So for me it's all about Honda, Toyota, or Nissan. If you want to spend more money get an Avalon or Maxima. If you want to spend less, get an Accord/Camry/Altima. Or even less, Civic/Corolla/Sentra.
 

·
Registered
1999 Nissan Maxima
Joined
·
134 Posts
osidepunker said:
You can't really compare those cars. They are all in different leagues. You can compare a Civic to a Corolla to a Jetta. And an Accord to a Camry to a Passat. But the only car comparable to an Avalon is a Maxima. American cars don't count, they suck. VW's are not as reliable, check out Consumers Reports. So for me it's all about Honda, Toyota, or Nissan. If you want to spend more money get an Avalon or Maxima. If you want to spend less, get an Accord/Camry/Altima. Or even less, Civic/Corolla/Sentra.
The Nissan Maxima is ranked lower in reliability in Consumer Reports than the Chevy Impala, and the Chevy Impala is ranked higher than the HONDA ACCORD v6 is. And the 04+ owners at Maxima.org have had tons and tons and tons of problems, as have 03+ Accord owners. I like my current Maxima which is a '99 and it's been pretty reliable, but newer Nissans are just CRAP for quality. I do like the newer Maximas design wise, but after all of the quality issues and Nissan's horrible customer service the car isn't even really on my consideration list anymore. There are plenty of much better cars out there than the Maxima, including American built ones.

The Avalon is also comparable to the Acura TL imo. I like the TL a little bit better, but Honda/Acuras are STILL blowing up automatics at low mileage even to this day. "claimed" mileage is not as good, and they lack low-end torque which I like.

If you want to spend more money for LESS quality and POOR dealer customer service, yes go right ahead and buy a Nissan Maxima. :rolleyes:
 

·
Registered
1999 Nissan Maxima
Joined
·
134 Posts
kinsco276 said:
Thanks much for the reply. I was looking more around the 2005 models. Trying to decide between the avalon and Honda Accord. Ive heard equal things both ways. Someone has even pointed out the Jetta and Passat, but Ive heard soem reliability issues with them. What have you guys heard about VW?

I think its bewteen the Accord and Avalon.
Accords: www.v6performance.net Feel free to check out the forums.

In case you didn't know this, pretty much all Honda/Acura V6 automatic transmissions have had a tendancy to blow up at 50-70k miles since 1998, and they still haven't fixed it. There's been warranty extensions, and there's even been a recall on them too. But they're still garbage. Their 6spd manual trannys have huge synchronizer issues also. Transmissions are Honda's Achilles heel these days.

The one thing saving Hondas these days is their great customer service. They stand behind their product and are very good about goodwilling new trannys to people even out of warranty. And even on people with 100k miles or more, some dealers will still replace trannys for people just to keep them as a customer because they know if they don't they'll walk right across the street to the Toyota dealerships and probably never come back. Dealership profitability numbers look like crap due to this in competitive areas, but they hold on to customers and that's what counts.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
129 Posts
muchachomalo said:
If you are looking for that type of new sedan. maxima's are pretty fat. THey have the same engine as the 350z and more torque than mustands. I don't know if they still have more torque than the new mustangs though.

2005/2006 Mustang GT (4.6L V-8) has 300HP and 320ft-lbs

2005/2006 Mustang (4.0L V-6) has 210HP and 240ft-lbs
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
55 Posts
jimmykce1 said:
2005/2006 Mustang GT (4.6L V-8) has 300HP and 320ft-lbs

2005/2006 Mustang (4.0L V-6) has 210HP and 240ft-lbs
yeah the new maximas have 265hp 255ft-lbs So it is faster than the non gt but probally more expensive.

nothing personal I am not trying to diss the mustang I was simply stating a fact. And I can personally attest to the fact that maximas are faster than the older generation of mustangs too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
266 Posts
SteVTEC said:
The Nissan Maxima is ranked lower in reliability in Consumer Reports than the Chevy Impala, and the Chevy Impala is ranked higher than the HONDA ACCORD v6 is. And the 04+ owners at Maxima.org have had tons and tons and tons of problems, as have 03+ Accord owners. I like my current Maxima which is a '99 and it's been pretty reliable, but newer Nissans are just CRAP for quality. I do like the newer Maximas design wise, but after all of the quality issues and Nissan's horrible customer service the car isn't even really on my consideration list anymore. There are plenty of much better cars out there than the Maxima, including American built ones.

The Avalon is also comparable to the Acura TL imo. I like the TL a little bit better, but Honda/Acuras are STILL blowing up automatics at low mileage even to this day. "claimed" mileage is not as good, and they lack low-end torque which I like.

If you want to spend more money for LESS quality and POOR dealer customer service, yes go right ahead and buy a Nissan Maxima. :rolleyes:
SteVTEC said:
Accords: www.v6performance.net Feel free to check out the forums.

In case you didn't know this, pretty much all Honda/Acura V6 automatic transmissions have had a tendancy to blow up at 50-70k miles since 1998, and they still haven't fixed it. There's been warranty extensions, and there's even been a recall on them too. But they're still garbage. Their 6spd manual trannys have huge synchronizer issues also. Transmissions are Honda's Achilles heel these days.

The one thing saving Hondas these days is their great customer service. They stand behind their product and are very good about goodwilling new trannys to people even out of warranty. And even on people with 100k miles or more, some dealers will still replace trannys for people just to keep them as a customer because they know if they don't they'll walk right across the street to the Toyota dealerships and probably never come back. Dealership profitability numbers look like crap due to this in competitive areas, but they hold on to customers and that's what counts.
I never said to buy a Maxima. I simply said it's a comparable model. And the Avy is not comparable to the TL. The TL is a mid sized sport/luxury sedan. The Avy is a full sized mid-grade sedan. And other than what people claim on forums do you have any reliable source you can post here to verify your claims of Honda transmission problems? Forums are like news stations, you only here the negative stuff. And I have never read a Consumer Report that ranked an American car higher than a Honda. I'm not trying to be argumentative, I just wish people would post unbiased sources when they make claims about specific problems.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
129 Posts
muchachomalo said:
yeah the new maximas have 265hp 255ft-lbs So it is faster than the non gt but probally more expensive.

nothing personal I am not trying to diss the mustang I was simply stating a fact. And I can personally attest to the fact that maximas are faster than the older generation of mustangs too.
I agree..I am looking at getting a G35 this year. I live in mustang country here, so I want to be different.
 

·
1993 Camry XLE
93 CamXLE/73 Lincoln
Joined
·
1,083 Posts
Get the Avalon, you will not regret your decision. Sure, you could get an impala with a v8, but it's only like .2 seconds faster than the Avalon with its v6. Not to mention, the Avalon gets WAY better mileage, is bigger, doesn't have a bland 25cent interior, and if you get the limited you can get push button start and touchless entry... or whatever the hell it's called.

Accord is a good car too. But, if you were looking to get an Accord, it's true rival is the Camry. So the Avalon and Accord do not compete anyway.

Anyway, have fun with your decision and do your research so you know just what you're getting in to.
Good Luck
-Will
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
We bought a 96 Avalon after our Camry was wrecked. Big difference in comfort level between Camry and Avalon. Long trips are much more enjoyable in the Avalon. Maybe slightly larger, cushier seats and difference in wheel base make the difference, but there is a difference. I believe you would have to go to an Acura to get a comparable machine. Same reliability as Camry. Love this car.
:loove:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
I would say the only competition against the Avalon will be the Impala. The Avalon is on the second year, which translates to less bugs such as seat rattles. The Impala, however, poses incredible value on the LTZ trim or even the 3LT trim and is still less expensive than the Avalon XL. To compare the standards -

You can't change the stereo in the Avalon because of its irregular shape. The fun with the it comes from the 5 speed shiftomatic transmission's 'S mode'. Engine braking by shifting down is now possible. Brake assist which senses hard braking is standard. Traction control is standard except touring and XL. Currently the 05 model only has 3 TSBs. The milage factor is superb on the Avalon. You will get what the EPA ratings say rather accurately. The engine is derived from the trucks so expect very high miles before any signs of engine-related problems.

Impala only has a 4 speed, and all models are plagued with hard plastics. With the LTZ Remote start with automatic climate control is standard. Ability to use IPod. However it only gets 19 mpg in the city which is a compromise. 23 is the combined mileage.

Performance numbers are useless when there are no dyno curves to look at. Engineers have to design at what point to have max torque and horsepower.



And other than what people claim on forums do you have any reliable source you can post here to verify your claims of Honda transmission problems?.
The recall for the V6s' automatic transmission is common all over the mechanics' world. I'm suprised you didn't know. The link below is as genuine as it gets. (The RL uses a different transmission)

http://world.honda.com/news/2004/c040630.html
 
1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top