Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Oh Glayven!
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have been researching retrofitting my headlamps for HID projectors (yes, pricey, but I love lights). Question is, I saw the tutorial on how to clear out the lined headlamps, but would I be better off getting '98 style headlamps (already clear) and have someone retrofit those and then modify the mounting bracket to fit my car, or should I clear the '96 headlamps myself and then retrofit them that way?

96 headlamps
98 headlamps

I have been in close contact with Illusion Lighting and they quoted me this:
$900 - ECE retrofit
$100 - Cosmetic trim

$130 - 6000k Phillips bulb upgrade**
$300 - Clear out '96 headlamps**
** = optional

I would do the retrofit myself if I A) had the tools and B) had the knowledge...I tend to screw up a lot of things.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
What tutorial? I wanna see!

For your situation, I'd probably get the 98s and send them out (if you have the disposable income for that).

However, there are advantages to doing it yourself. In the end, both will be hopeuflly be about the same price, but you end up with some more skill, and some cool tools when you're done.

But um. The 98s would probably look better in the end.

·
Oh Glayven!
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
millerjtime06 said:
thanks for the site
pah, thanks for your input. =P

What tutorial? I wanna see!

If its going to cost the same ammount to do it myself vs a company that does it all the time, I think Im going to have them do it. (as far as being dispensible money, meh...arent all car upgrades/modifications dispensible?)

Only thing that sux about rockin the Avy is that I cant do shit to the car without it being custom made, or very rare parts you cant find anywhere....and both being expensive as beans:

A) Custom retrofitting projector HIDs = 1 grand+

B) New rims, tires, lowering springs, shocks, rotors, and brake pads = 2 grand+

etc.

There are tutorials all over the internet. Ya just got to http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/images/top_search.gif

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Compuwiz said:
If its going to cost the same ammount to do it myself vs a company that does it all the time, I think Im going to have them do it. (as far as being dispensible money, meh...arent all car upgrades/modifications dispensible?)

Only thing that sux about rockin the Avy is that I cant do shit to the car without it being custom made, or very rare parts you cant find anywhere....and both being expensive as beans:

A) Custom retrofitting projector HIDs = 1 grand+

B) New rims, tires, lowering springs, shocks, rotors, and brake pads = 2 grand+

etc.

There are tutorials all over the internet. Ya just got to http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/images/top_search.gif [/B]
Ugh. You're making me find it? Boooo....

You know, if you're not investing any extra money into tools (IE, you're only buying materials), I'd just get the 98s and modify them. I'd rather not screw up the housing that's already on the car....

·
Oh Glayven!
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
at the same time when I want to do this fun stuff to my car....I still have my ultimate goal in mind:

2002 Audi S4
Twin Turbo
250 HP @ 5800
258 torque @ 1850
All Wheel Drive
Triptronic

*drool*:p:

To save...or not to save...that is the question.

Im thinking I might go with the "plan B" with wheels, tires, suspension, shocks instead of the lights.

·
Gen 4 XLE v6
02 Toy Solara V6 MT
3,192 Posts
Didn't someone use a gen 4.5 camry outer cover on a gen 4 camry cover. Hence, try that avenue, it think it would be cheaper. Meaning...rather than clearing your 96, take the lense from the next model and use them on your housing. This is just a thought tho' you may want to expand on this idea...

·
Did somebody say "Nachos"
1992 Toyota Camry
550 Posts
It looks like there is no mechanical difference between the 96 & 98 housings (from what we can see in the pics anyway). I'd go for the newer housings - better starting point anyway - less chance of messing up lenses... IMO

·
Registered
678 Posts
I think the 98-99 avalon headlights are little smaller, double check it before you're wasted the money.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts