Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any other Avalon TRD owners on this forum? I've owned mine since February, and I have yet to see an Avalon TRD on the road or talk to the owner of one. In a way, I'm enjoying the exclusivity. But, it would be nice to trade thoughts and ideas on the car with someone besides myself.

·
Registered
2020 Avalon Limited
106 Posts
I don't own a TRD, but don't feel bad, I don't see too many 5th gen Avalon's on the road, period! Just got back from a 1500 mile trip and my wife says she saw 1, I didn't see any.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
TRD owner here in San Antonio. Loving it!
That's great! Love mine as well. Have you considered modifying to increase power output or are you satisfied with the 301hp? Any thoughts on the cars handling ability? I personally think the car handles well, but thats coming from someone who has driven trucks/suv's for the last 20 years. As Avalon TRD owners, we are a rare breed-only 2100 built for 2020.

·
Registered
2020 Avalon TRD Supersonic Red
11 Posts
I hear ya! Toyota should have put in some time under the hood. It’s not lacking in power, but unchanged from the rest of the lineup. Then again, who would EVER put on a cat back system and claim no HP gain? I’ve seen manufacturers claim +30 HP with cat back, but +7 to 10 seems to be the realistic number. I looked at CAI, but even if you believe there are gains there most use the factory airflow from behind our grill to get inside the engine bay (many 90 degree turns before you even get to a filter). With the exhaust and freer flowing air, she probably sits at about 310 HP.
My bottom line...it’s a naturally aspirated V6 FWD so I don’t plan to feed it a lot of parts for small gains. It looks great, sounds amazing, gives some drama when I press the long pedal, and is a blast to drive. As far as handling, she doesn’t get out of shape easily. I’m happy there!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thought about it and may once I put a few miles on the car. Enjoying my warranty right now and I'm holding out for a TRD CAI, though I doubt that will ever happen.

·
Registered
2008 Toyota Camry Base / CE
13,584 Posts
Thought about it and may once I put a few miles on the car. Enjoying my warranty right now and I'm holding out for a TRD CAI, though I doubt that will ever happen.
To me at least, if I am gonna buy a car to have fun and modify it a lot I would buy a base trim unless there was a trim with options I wanted. If I buy "the highest trim" of the model I want, I would leave it as stock as possible no matter how tempting. Example: I would buy a GT-R Premium to modify but I would not modify a GT-R Nismo. I would buy a Avalon XSE to modify but I would not modify a Avalon TRD.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I hear ya. However, I would say that analogy is a bit of a stretch, kind of like the idea of a modified Avalon was a stretch before the TRD model was introduced. With the TRD Avalon, you have a good foundation to build upon. With any other Avalon trim, it would be hard to make it work without it looking like a TRD wannabe IMO.

·
Registered
2008 Toyota Camry Base / CE
13,584 Posts
I hear ya. However, I would say that analogy is a bit of a stretch, kind of like the idea of a modified Avalon was a stretch before the TRD model was introduced. With the TRD Avalon, you have a good foundation to build upon. With any other Avalon trim, it would be hard to make it work without it looking like a TRD wannabe IMO.
Something like that. I forget what is fully different between TRD and the other trims but if the suspension was better then that would be a reason to modify a TRD. Though at that point you could just get coilovers. There's a lot to it and like I said too, unless there was a specific trim other than base trim that had something you wanted yet it is not the highest trim that would be the one to go. If anything, in the case of the TRD people are likely to modify the XSE to a TRD since I believe the XSE has some features that the TRD does not have.

·
Registered
2019 Toyota Avalon
239 Posts
The 3 Biggest things i have done to mine for more power and throttle response has been
1: Run Premium Fuel. 91+
2: New freerer flowing exhaust (like the TRD)
3: K&N Typhoon Air intake kit.

Those 3 things has made a noticeable difference. Anyone who says it doesn't you are not in-tune with your car at all.

·
Registered
2020 Avalon TRD Wind Chill Pearl
1 Posts
Ive owned my TRD for about a month now and so far im loving it, that is i am coming from a 2015 toyota camry with a 4 cylinder, the V6 is much appreciated and sharper mor direct handling is too. So far im planning on putting a AEM intake but thats as much as i will probably do to the engine, it takes me from point A to B fast enough while still looking sporty so thats good enough for me lol

·
Registered
4 Posts
Any other Avalon TRD owners on this forum? I've owned mine since February, and I have yet to see an Avalon TRD on the road or talk to the owner of one. In a way, I'm enjoying the exclusivity. But, it would be nice to trade thoughts and ideas on the car with someone besides myself.
I have had my Avalon TRD since 10/10/2019 it now has 10000 miles on it. I like the car it just is as sporty as it looks. It does handle the curves well and the acceleration is ok.
Did you get the update to your that Toyota released? If so did it make any difference in the way it preformed? The dealership has asked me twice to update mine but I worry that it will affect the performance.

·
Registered
105 Posts
With any other Avalon trim, it would be hard to make it work without it looking like a TRD wannabe IMO.
I agreed with you until this point. The TRD is super cool, but isn’t a true performance sedan. I don’t think any Avalon owners need to be concerned about being a “TRD wannabe.” This isn’t like a regular 3 series trying to be an M3. The performance upgrades that the TRD has are marginal at best. The lack of an LSD and any meaningful power bump is head-scratching and makes the TRD a tough value proposition for prospective and (especially) current owners. At least a horsepower increase would have helped combat the vehicle’s natural heft. Then again, it’s still a heavy FWD sedan. Not really a good performance platform in the first place.

People were rolling around in 2019
Avalon’s a year before the TRD was released. Upgrading an XSE or Touring that has a year or more of payments paid makes a heck of a lot more sense than rolling negative equity into a TRD that offers minor enhancements. That said, I prefer my XSE as it sits.

I MAY add a TRD exhaust for a little more volume but additional upgrades simply aren’t worth it to me for a vehicle like this.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Going from a 19 touring to a 20 TRD I can tell some handling differences and the TRD looks alone have gotten numourous thumbs ups and questions of what car is that?

1 - 20 of 77 Posts