Toyota Nation Forum banner

avensis calipers on corolla

7K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  topnotch 
looks great bro once your braking has improve you will have more comfidence when your stopping. i also upgraded mine with GT calipers and slotted/drilled disk am currently using wagner pads but am looking into EBC street pads or HAWK.

I do not mean to criticize, just want to learn something new. But how can calipers improve the stopping distance? Were the old/original calipers not powerful enough to lock up the wheels? I figure that if a caliper puts enough pressure on the pads to be able to lock up the wheel, then there is not much more that it could do. I have never seen a standard caliper that would not be able to do this unless it was seriously malfunctioning, or the car had tires with incredible grip fitted to it. Of course, on dry pavement one should not lock up the wheels, I know that. So if a caliper can lock up the wheel, what good comes from it being able lock it up even more?

I could imagine that the point where the brakes start to fade due to heat, can be offset with stronger calipers. Is this what is meant by improving the braking?
think of it as this...... as you increse your speed or add more power to a car you will oviously need to stop quicker, but you will want to do this without the wheels locking up thats why the newer models have ABS system so the brake wont lock up under panic braking or hard braking imagin having a powerfull car but small brake calipers and disk and your doin over 160 miles and you go to stop sudden your brakes will fail because they heated up so fast that the max temp for the disk and pads have exceded ther limit so the wheels lock up and you go into a long slide even if you take you foot off the brakes and press again.. no good cause they are still to hot and that also cause warpped brake disk. so with bigger calipers for added force and bigger brake disk for more heat displacement specially the slotted and drilled ones and better brake pads you can stop a shorter distance without the wheels locking up. wheels locking up during braking is never a good thing specially on wet roads.

yip that is true thats why i change my calipers, disk and pads. i was gonna go all out and get wilwoods calipers but decided that am not goin after really big power so that would be over doin it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.