Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Camry XLE
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just thought the following information might be of some value.

I have been using Shell V Power 93 on every fill-up and drive an average of 28 miles a day.
Living on one of the the most beautiful beaches in the world, you can figure on 13 feet above sea level.
Although I do live in Florida, surprisingly most of my driving is in light traffic that flows well.

Driving with a very light foot and using cruise control whenever I get on the Highway, you can see that the 4 cylinder is able to achieve 26 mpg overall, but you do have to make a conscious effort to do so.

Note: Fuelly figures the MPG without the help of the on-board computer.
Now that the engine has had a chance to "Break-in" my driving habits will be changing, so I expect the numbers to drop.

Running 40psi (Nitrogen) in my tires.

Considering that ethanol might be a problem and the high ratings that the V-Power Shell has received, I have been using the 93 Octane, but on my next fill-up I plan on dropping to the mid-grade.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I use plain-old 87, but usually stop at WaWa's for gas. I to live in Florida, and have been running the A/C to stay cool. I go thru about 40 lights and I drive about 70 miles a day (average speed limit is about 50mph), but I have been getting 33.3mpg. And for those who think I have just been reading what is on the dash, I have matched this up with old fashion math over a couple of full tanks of gas.

·
It's Official
16 Tundra, 14 RAV4,
8,848 Posts
Yea I run my 4cyl hard, and use Top Tier 87 octane only. I average 25 and it is hard core city no flowing traffic. Get up to 45, hold it for a few seconds, red light so stop. Do it again and again. That is how I drive and get 25 MPG. Have you tried running not 93? Like JB said, there is no benefit to it.

·
Registered
2014 Camry XLE
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The dealer started me out on 93 octane (because I requested it, they are very close to the shell station and because of the ethanol in our local stations).

Will be dropping down to the mid-grade shell from now on.

I trust jblackburn, because he has done a fine job of testing this, with graphs to prove the results.

·
Registered
137 Posts
2012 se v6 mpg

Damn, don't know WHAT you guys are doing, I am running 87....mixed city/hi-way here in DC and get 27-28 consistently......straight from the station to the freeway and staying on it at 70mph....32 mpg....no kidding, hand figured mpg...with a V6..... and loving it!!! CSM-H

·
It's Official
16 Tundra, 14 RAV4,
8,848 Posts
I trust jblackburn, because he has done a fine job of testing this, with graphs to prove the results.
Ah, I see you've done some searching :thumbsup:
Damn, don't know WHAT you guys are doing, I am running 87....mixed city/hi-way here in DC and get 27-28 consistently......straight from the station to the freeway and staying on it at 70mph....32 mpg....no kidding, hand figured mpg...with a V6..... and loving it!!! CSM-H
Different commute, different way of driving, length of trips, etc. etc. Thats why it can only be so beneficial to compare MPG online. The real test is for the same driver to drive two different vehicles to accurately determine which does better. So basically take every MPG number you hear and read online with a grain of salt.

Regardless, you definitely can't complain about that MPG with the V6. I would think you would do a little worse than that driving in DC, but the fact that you get some high way driving in means you aren't sitting in the traffic that JB and I sit in haha. When I drive highway its essentially city w/o stop lights. Maybe even worse than city :eek: Living in the area, I'm sure you know what I'm talking about :lol:

·
Registered
2014 Camry SE Silver
968 Posts
How does everyone calculate their MPG though? I use the car reading and fuelly. I reset the MPG gauge and trip A gauge every time I fill up which ranges from 7-10 days. So the MPG I get is for that tank of gas and not just for that city or highway trip alone.

·
BeerSteakTxas
10,953 Posts
How does everyone calculate their MPG though? I use the car reading and fuelly. I reset the MPG gauge and trip A gauge every time I fill up which ranges from 7-10 days. So the MPG I get is for that tank of gas and not just for that city or highway trip alone.
I used to compare "screen" MPG and "pan & paper" and according to my calculations the difference between them is pretty insignificant and never exceeded 3 tenths, so I'm good with "screen's" read outs.

I've used premium (non Shell though) gasoline a few times and haven't seen any changes in MPG. Here in DFW all gas stations I ever used have "contain 10% ethanol" stickers at all pumps and I never seen "no ethanol" gas.
BTW, I just came from Lake Texoma and on the way there with AC on and 65-80 MPH (normal driving) I got almost 37 MPG (screen read out), but on the way back we hit very heavy rain and my trip average went down to 32.

·
Registered
2014 Camry SE Silver
968 Posts
I used to compare "screen" MPG and "pan & paper" and according to my calculations the difference between them is pretty insignificant and never exceeded 3 tenths, so I'm good with "screen's" read outs.

I've used premium (non Shell though) gasoline a few times and haven't seen any changes in MPG. Here in DFW all gas stations I ever used have "contain 10% ethanol" stickers at all pumps and I never seen "no ethanol" gas.
BTW, I just came from Lake Texoma and on the way there with AC on and 65-80 MPH (normal driving) I got almost 37 MPG (screen read out), but on the way back we hit very heavy rain and my trip average went down to 32.

yea the car gauge and fuelly are like identical when I compared.

·
It's Official
16 Tundra, 14 RAV4,
8,848 Posts
Like molson, I just use the car read out as well. I honestly don't care about MPG at all so that's as good of a calculation as I will ever care about.

·
BeerSteakTxas
10,953 Posts
Like molson, I just use the car read out as well. I honestly don't care about MPG at all so that's as good of a calculation as I will ever care about.
:D +1
I was very curious about my MPG at the beginning, but lost pretty much all the interest to it just a few month later. I know what my car can get if I control my right foot, but I just can't control it all the time.
p.s. I just got a full tank in OK for $3.24 p.gallon vs $3.45 in DFW so... FFE!!!
F..K fuel economy. :D

·
It's Official
16 Tundra, 14 RAV4,
8,848 Posts
I was very curious about my MPG at the beginning, but lost pretty much all the interest to it just a few month later. I know what my car can get if I control my right foot, but I just can't control it all the time.
p.s. I just got a full tank in OK for $3.24 p.gallon vs $3.45 in DFW so... FFE!!!
Haha right!!!

·
Registered
2014 Camry SE Silver
968 Posts
I need those gas prices here in Cali.......

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.