Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
06 Tacoma
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I installed my z1 today and the whole process went very well. I took my time, did it right, and everything worked properly the first time I fired it up. The only issue I had was with the Scosche kit. When I put the last piece of the kit on, it didn't snap into place quite right. The top left corner is now slightly protruding and it looks slightly off from the passenger side (see pic). I think this may be due to the amount of stuff I have crammed in there, but as I recall, there was more open space on the right side. Oh well, I'll try to adjust it the mext time I take the dash apart, as well as relocating the iPod adapter to make a bit more space behind the HU so I can accomodate more wires in the future.

So far I just have the HU installed with stock speakers, but what a difference it makes. I can actually hear the highs and lows now and can crank it up quite a bit higher than factory without any speaker distortion. I can't wait to get the rest of the system now. :p I'm planning on getting new speakers in the near future but need to get deadening materials first. The sub(s), amp(s) and other toys can wait until summer time when I can actually stand working in the garage for more than a half hour at a time :p

I tried to take lots of pictures of the process but didn't get as many as I should have =/ Anyhow, here's the pics I did take and I hope they will make good additions to the existing threads on the subject. And I couldnt have done it without those threads, so thanks to all who contributed to them. :clap: (yeah, yeah, I know it's a dirty truck...still havn't got my Weathertechs either... :cursin:

The parts.

Scosche Double DIN kit.

Pioneer Avic-Z1

Goodbye...

Three cheers for wireless networking. I had TN's help the whole time :D

Removing temperature controls.

Stock HU removed (4 bolts)

Running reverse and parking brake wires. PB wire is properly connected for the time being. I tried grounding it and it still wouldnt allow the functions to become available, so I just hooked it up the right way. Looks like I'll be doing a bit more reading at avic411. :p

The reverse wire is the thick pink/white wire shown at the top left of the plug.

Parking brake and reverse wires coming out of dash opening.

VSS wire location. 2nd plug from the bottom, 2nd from the left, 2nd from bottom. Purple/white.

A more isolated shot of the VSS wire.

GPS antenna mounted directly under center of dash. It works perfectly here and the accuracy is dead on. I mean dead on. I wasn't even expecting it to be this good before I got it. :whatwhat:

Bluetooth and iPod adapters attached in same area (shitty pic). I plan to move the iPod adapter somewhere nearer to the glove box to free up some space.

All together now...

The corner of the kit I mentioned before that didn't snap in quite right. It's just enough to piss me off a bit. I'll be fixing it the next time I install any new components.

Everything fully functional.

Fully opened

Having the screen on at night tends to be a bit bright after a while, so it's nice to be able to turn the screen off.

That's it, that's all.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Thanks for the post/pics. Looks great, and hopefully the kit will settle in a bit better with time.

·
clueless
07 tacoma double cab
26 Posts
great pics man. very helpful. this is making me want to get a nav and do it myself more and more.

·
Registered
06 Taco D.C. Sport
1,370 Posts
the trim on the dash kit is a tight fit with the avic z1. even though the size isnt supposed to be different it is. i had a kenwood DD installed and had no problem but with the z1 it is tighter.

like you said go to avic411.com and youll need to find what your production date is to be able to bypass the play dvd feature while moving.

about the screen being bright i have pressed the V on the unit while the lights are on and just dim the screen all the way down. you could also lower the brightness if its not enough.
once you turn your lights off the screen will be normal, when you turn the lights on it will dim to what you set it while the lights are on.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Look nice, well done. One thing I noticed..... You have all that nice equipment (good taste) but yet I see a case of Budweiser on the table? Surlely you can find a better brew up there,... eh?

The Reverse wire sure went a lot faster for me than the VSS, had a hard time getting my meathooks into that small area to fish out the correct wire. Were you able to ground a parking brake wire to allow for DVD on the move? I opted for the Eclipse AVN6600 out of convienance of install and have been loving it. How about the rest of the stereo?

·
Registered
51 Posts
ob3lix said:
So I installed my z1 today and the whole process went very well. I took my time, did it right, and everything worked properly the first time I fired it up. The only issue I had was with the Scosche kit. When I put the last piece of the kit on, it didn't snap into place quite right. The top left corner is now slightly protruding and it looks slightly off from the passenger side (see pic). I think this may be due to the amount of stuff I have crammed in there, but as I recall, there was more open space on the right side. Oh well, I'll try to adjust it the mext time I take the dash apart, as well as relocating the iPod adapter to make a bit more space behind the HU so I can accomodate more wires in the future.

So far I just have the HU installed with stock speakers, but what a difference it makes. I can actually hear the highs and lows now and can crank it up quite a bit higher than factory without any speaker distortion. I can't wait to get the rest of the system now. :p I'm planning on getting new speakers in the near future but need to get deadening materials first. The sub(s), amp(s) and other toys can wait until summer time when I can actually stand working in the garage for more than a half hour at a time :p

I tried to take lots of pictures of the process but didn't get as many as I should have =/ Anyhow, here's the pics I did take and I hope they will make good additions to the existing threads on the subject. And I couldnt have done it without those threads, so thanks to all who contributed to them. :clap: (yeah, yeah, I know it's a dirty truck...still havn't got my Weathertechs either... :cursin:

The parts.

That's it, that's all.
Wow, tht's beautiful. If I may ask, how much did this setup run you, and what was the total installation time? Did you have to do any permanent modification to the truck?

Can the display be dimmed? Seems like it should have a brightness/contrast control.

·
Registered
51 Posts
str8bourbon said:
Wow, tht's beautiful. If I may ask, how much did this setup run you, and what was the total installation time? Did you have to do any permanent modification to the truck?

Can the display be dimmed? Seems like it should have a brightness/contrast control.
Nevermind, I just went and looked at Crutchfield's site. A little out of my price range for such an item, but how f-ing cool.:D

That sort of money is going to have to get me an ARB bumper and winch next year, but it's tempting, I tell ya.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
ob3lix, great install and writeup. How long did the whole thing take you? Mine took me all day, but a lot of that was trying to get the steering wheel control adapter and the JBL system adapter working. Also, where did you put the mic for the BT kit?

I also had trouble with the fit of the Scosche kit with the Z1, especially while trying to cram everything back in there. I ended up mounting the various adapters back and to the sides to the bottom of the dash with velcro. The iPod adapter is mounted in my armrest compartment. Like others have said, the Scosche trim will settle into place over time.

I agree 100% with how much better the system sounds with the Z1 installed. I have the JBL system, and the weak points were definitely the head unit and stock amp. Now that I've replaced them, the sound is great.

·
Registered
06 Tacoma
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Fluxaholic said:
How long did the whole thing take you? Also, where did you put the mic for the BT kit?

I also had trouble with the fit of the Scosche kit with the Z1, especially while trying to cram everything back in there. Like others have said, the Scosche trim will settle into place over time.​

From start to finish, it took about 8 hours, but that included several beer and doobie breaks, along with lots of forum browsing to help me get er done. Also, I ran out of wire taps at one point and had to go buy more. If I had to do the whole thing again from scratch, I think it could be done in about 2-3 hours with no breaks. Keep in mind, this is just the HU install.
In terms of the mic, the BT kit didn't come with a seperate one and I'm assuming that the avic one will suffice. I have that one mounted on the heat outlet to the left of the HU, running up the right side of the steering wheel. I havn't even had a chance to make or receive a call yet.

Good to know that the scosche kit will settle in. Well, let's hope it does :p

·
Registered
06 Tacoma
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
rob_s said:
Did you get an adapter to be able to still use your steering wheel controls?
I don't have the steering wheel controls or the JBL system, so no, I didn't get an adapter. I did however purchase the small steering wheel remote which works just fine.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
ob3lix said:
From start to finish, it took about 8 hours, but that included several beer and doobie breaks, along with lots of forum browsing to help me get er done. Also, I ran out of wire taps at one point and had to go buy more. If I had to do the whole thing again from scratch, I think it could be done in about 2-3 hours with no breaks. Keep in mind, this is just the HU install.
In terms of the mic, the BT kit didn't come with a seperate one and I'm assuming that the avic one will suffice. I have that one mounted on the heat outlet to the left of the HU, running up the right side of the steering wheel. I havn't even had a chance to make or receive a call yet.

Good to know that the scosche kit will settle in. Well, let's hope it does :p
[/left]
I used the Z1 mic as well, and it gets the job done. I don't have any pics, but I mounted mine on my steering column and it points straight back toward me in the driver's seat. The cable goes straight back into the dash (between the steering column and panel) and behind the dash to the Z1. People weren't hearing me properly when the mic was mounted off to the side. Test it out in different locations and see what you think.

I agree that going back and doing it all over again, I could probably do it in a third of the time and without all of the mistakes. Good learning experience though.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts