Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, just about the only component in my car that im not satisfied with is the brake system, and for a guy who really likes the turns more than the drag strip, thats a big deal.

I have the brembo cross drilled rotors on there, but even these fade relatively quickly, and as vain as it sounds, just dont look how i want them too. I spray painted parts of the caliper, and it looks...eh, so i want a major upgrade here.

Preferably id want the Brembo GT kit, but any of the major kits from Baer, AP Racing, Stoptech, etc would be a big improvement. Im willing to pay out big bucks for this, literally as much as a brand new race engine would cost, thats how much it means to me.

I will not go to a shop and have them do anything involving fabrication, unless it is very minor. I'm not going to take chances when it comes to the brake system...

Really, i guess what im really asking is what brake systems are AW11s compatible with, since ive checked every website where you tell it "I have a 1988 Toyota MR2", with zero results.

Id imagine theyre compatible with most/all of the smaller toyotas of their day ie, AE86 Corolla, Celica, maybe even Supra, but that is a 100% guess.

Im no expert on brake systems, and would really like the advice of anyone here who has modified their MR2's brake system.

Is it as simple as weather or not the hubs are the same?

Will I need to replace the master cylinder?

So, if any of you have any knowledge on what a MR2 would be compatible with, or anything else, Id really appreachiate it, thanks.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Honestly i can't believe you want to spend 1500 to 2g's on a brake kit when it proly costs more than your car is worthe. I didn't read anything on your link about an aftermarket intercooler upgrade. Personally i'd use my money for that. But hey, it's yo money. Oh, your mkI looks pretty good, you did a nice job.

·
Premium Member
5,005 Posts
what kind of pads are u using??...do u have stainless steel brake lines also??.....if ur willing to spend the money...u should be able to custom fit any big brake kit..u'd have to get a machine shop to make u a "hat" for the rotors to fit onto ur hub....

·
I love Cin
91 Turbo MR2
2,312 Posts
4-AGZE from reading your original post, I think it is apparent that you are interested in the cosmetics of a big brake over the function. Several times you mention "looks" but only once you mention fade ... how/when are you expereincing fade?

A set of MR2 brakes with a $20 Toyota caliper rebuild kit and Porterfield R4S pads is most likely more than you would ever need.

You said you do not want to take risks with your brakes ... then I really do not suggest buying big brake upgrades. There is often more of a risk of INCREASING your braking distance with them, unless you are certain that you are not changing the over bias of the whole system.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
yes, i have steel lines, yes i have rebuilt the calipers, yes i have new rotors (brembo cross drilled on all four wheels), yes i have new pads (hawk HP pluses).

I wont lie, a big part of the reason i want a kit is for the looks. Im a big hypocrite about this, and to me, alot of times what separates people who want to go fast in a straight line (which im not) and people which like going fast around turns (which i am) is the brake system.

I am aware of the bias issues, but was assuming (apparently incorrectly) that any kit would come with parts to adjust it, but if it doesnt, im fine with spending an extra few hundred on some component that would adjust the bias.

If i did get 'hats' then would all there be to installation/compability just making hats for some common application (ie a '95 supra) and putting those brakes in? Wouldnt that mean new tires and wheels?

Jason, in that kit, it looks like the rotor is mounted to a axle with five lugnuts... My car has only four, as do all MKIs, i guess it just shows the kit applied on a MKII (im assuming you mark 2ers have five lugnuts). I tried clicking on the picture of the black MKI there, but it said something about the file not being found... Then i tried calling their nbr, but i got a "this phone number is temporarily out of service message, so i guess i'll email them.

This seems like an attractive option....its much, much less than i was anticipating paying, and they come in blue(the color i wanted).

Anyone here have experience with that particular kit?

about the intercooler, i dont see what a nefw one would do really...same surface area, same size of intake and outake holes...so what woudl be the advantage, aside from it being shiny.... (what i would be interester in maybe is a fan under/over the intercooler to suck more air into it.

·
Premium Member
5,005 Posts
like with any big brake kit....u'd have to run a bigger sized rim to fit the rotors and calipers.....min 17s prolly if u can fit them on an mk1......

·
I love Cin
91 Turbo MR2
2,312 Posts
Nothing wrong with wanting sexy brakes :)

I am just overly cautious about upgrading brakes because they are so important. As for setting the brake bias, the ideal situtation is at full pressure all 4 wheels would lock up at the same time (assuming no ABS). If either end locks up first, that is when you get into trouble (loss of control and/or increased stopping distance).

As for going fast in straight line vs turns ... I assure you I am intersted in both. I do SCCA Solo 1 Hill Climbs as well as drag racing ;)

·
Registered
15 Posts
My understanding is it changes your pattern to a 5 lug. The kits specifically says for MkI IIRC.

EDIT: just looked at the site again. I think you're right in that the pic is the MKII version. Yeah, best bet is to contact them. I've never seen these brakes in person btw...just lusted after them from that web site :)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
MRQturbo said:
like with any big brake kit....u'd have to run a bigger sized rim to fit the rotors and calipers.....min 17s prolly if u can fit them on an mk1......
I allready have 17s

Im 95% sure that thats a mk II (well, at least not a mkI) from looking at the strut tower and the wheelwheel. (I wouldn't want five lugs anyway, itd mean that id have to get new rims...which would make this brake upgrade much more expensive)

Is there a component to adjust the bias for front and back that i can buy/find at a junkyard? because i too dont want to upset the braking performance of the car, and I guess if it really comes down to performance vs. looks, ill go with the performance.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts