Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm 12+ hours into trying to remove this CV axle on the AWD 2005 Toyota Matrix XR (the kind where a long portion of the axle is inside the transmission. I've hit it with penetrating oil for multiple days, removed the axle down to the cup, removed the c-clip with the two prongs on it, removed the bolt right below where the axle goes into the transfer case, had 3 people with a mix on pry bars and a slide hammer (with the attachment that goes around the cup between the xfer case and the cup.... We've even been trying to drill into the bearing trying to destroy it w/o hurting the xfer case just so we can get this thing out (new axle comes with a new bearing). We've tried hammering wedges between the cup and xfer case.... Seemingly everything we've tried and it won't budge a bit....

Basically we've tried everything we can think of short of wrapping a chain around it and the other end to a car and hitting the gas...

Does anyone have any suggestions or things we may have missed? It feels like at this point we've hammered it so hard were going to have to replace the freaking motor mounts... Are we missing something that needs to come out before the axle can be removed?

Attachments

·
Registered
2007 Silver Corolla CE Auto
578 Posts
Maybe some tips:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Maybe some tips:

Thanks, i've read through that thread and any others i've been able to find on here but so far haven't been able to come across anyone with the same issue with the AWS xfer case.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Wow! That seems stuck pretty good.
Can you call your local dealership or visit them, to see if they know of an easy way to remove it? I'm surprised that brute force isn't retracting it like all other axles when removed.
Can you see anything unusual on the end of the new axle that would make removing it difficult?? have you tried tapping it back in, then try to pry it back out? Wow?
Good luck....

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Maybe you can run the motor and let the trans engage the wheels. Let it spin and heat up. Then kill the motor and try to tap it out. Or ADD something cold to the inside of the CV. I use a upside down compressed air. Might be able to get it to expand the case and shrink the CV.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
マズダスピード3
15,431 Posts
If you have a pry bar with a striking handle, hit the bastard.

My drivers side axle got stuck and took me 3 days to pop it. Yours is different for sure.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you have a pry bar with a striking handle, hit the bastard.

My drivers side axle got stuck and took me 3 days to pop it. Yours is different for sure.
My pry bar doesn't have a striking handle, i'll have to try that. I have something that's almost exactly this https://www.amazon.com/OTC-Inner-CV...ocphy=9003198&hvtargid=pla-434879548009&psc=1 and i've probably slid that hammer over 1000 times at this point while someone else prys / hits a pry bar with a hammer to no avail.

I did order Amazon.com: Sunluway - 12020-2 Piece Axle Popper Kit - Inner CV Axle Removal Tool Set - for Use on Front Wheel Drive Vehicles-Remove Most Vehicles’ Half-Shaft Drive Axles-Fix Damaged CV Joints : Automotive and the hope is shimming it out might do the trick.... Other than that the only other tool I can think of would be some sort of hydrolic separater / wedge kind of thing.

Does anyone happen to know if the transfer case / assembly can be removed without too much trouble? I figure that way I can hammer the axle out from the other end which would allow me to use a sledge hammer....Only other guess is to try to hammer it out from the driver side with a long screw driver and hammering on it... but there is a little block of metal in the way that i don't want to destroy.

Maybe you can run the motor and let the trans engage the wheels. Let it spin and heat up. Then kill the motor and try to tap it out. Or ADD something cold to the inside of the CV. I use a upside down compressed air. Might be able to get it to expand the case and shrink the CV.

I did try some MAP gas on the outside but that didn't seem to do the trick... though coupled with cold air that is something i'll need to try as well :).

Thanks for the help so far all, it seems the AWD models weren't really common... i can hardly find any guides or info on the xfer case assembly...

·
Administrator
マズダスピード3
15,431 Posts
Try a piece of 2x4. I tried this myself and it didn’t budge. What did work was finding the right angle to pop the axle. Just keep looking for a good spot. If it’s stuck, then it’s very possible there’s a edge it keeps hitting to prevent the axle from moving.

Have you tried knocking the axle end in a bit and then try to separate it?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Try a piece of 2x4. I tried this myself and it didn’t budge. What did work was finding the right angle to pop the axle. Just keep looking for a good spot. If it’s stuck, then it’s very possible there’s a edge it keeps hitting to prevent the axle from moving.

Have you tried knocking the axle end in a bit and then try to separate it?
Oooo good idea with the 2x4, i'm thinking we could one on either side and try to hit it with a hammer... though that'd probably snap the 2x4.. either way it'll be good way to hit stuff without breaking the xfer case!

Yeah we have tried knocking it in, rotating, all that jazz but it doesn't seem to work. I think the major difference is we have a seized bearing not the internal clip at the end of the splines like most cars.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
I’d probably go for removing the transfer case. It probably bloated the bearing and keeping tension on the axle. Heat welded to the shaft maybe?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I’d probably go for removing the transfer case. It probably bloated the bearing and keeping tension on the axle. Heat welded to the shaft maybe?

I think I'm going to try that tonight or tomorrow night, any idea if there are DIY or videos out there? It almost looks like it's only 6 bolts or so... Which hopefully I can manage to get to without too much trouble :).

·
Registered
29 Posts
You're in for some fun on this one. I spent almost 2weeks hurting my brain trying to figure out how to do this on my 2004 XR AWD. Just like you I tried everything you mentioned ad more. I'm gonna ask you to stop hitting it to force it out of the transfer case. this is aluminum and will break very easy leaving you with a bigger mess trying to find a replacement case.
The way I got mine out was by breaking (well dismantling) the bearing and then grinding the outer race of the bearing out. It takes time but it can be done.
I took a 1/4 inch drill and made a hole on the seal of the bearing, threaded a screw into the hole and pulled the seal out exposing the inner workings of the bearing. Then use the same drill bit to drill the bearing cage and break it. After that, with needle nose pliers I broke the bearing cage out of the bearing, it will come out in pieces.
Then use a Dremel with the Flex extension and attach the cone grinding stone to grind a hole on the side of the bearing. your goal is to grind a hole slightly larger that the size of the ball bearings. this will take time...lots of time! after that just spin the axle a few revolutions at slow speed (easier done by spinning the opposite wheel) and just watch the ball bearings fall one by one. after that the axle just slides off with no effort on your part!!! You're Welcome.
Then all that is left is to grind the outer race if the bearing to remove it from the transfer case and presto. It took me about 4 to 5 hours to get mine out but it was the only way to do it at home with no outside help.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You're in for some fun on this one. I spent almost 2weeks hurting my brain trying to figure out how to do this on my 2004 XR AWD. Just like you I tried everything you mentioned ad more. I'm gonna ask you to stop hitting it to force it out of the transfer case. this is aluminum and will break very easy leaving you with a bigger mess trying to find a replacement case.
The way I got mine out was by breaking (well dismantling) the bearing and then grinding the outer race of the bearing out. It takes time but it can be done.
I took a 1/4 inch drill and made a hole on the seal of the bearing, threaded a screw into the hole and pulled the seal out exposing the inner workings of the bearing. Then use the same drill bit to drill the bearing cage and break it. After that, with needle nose pliers I broke the bearing cage out of the bearing, it will come out in pieces.
Then use a Dremel with the Flex extension and attach the cone grinding stone to grind a hole on the side of the bearing. your goal is to grind a hole slightly larger that the size of the ball bearings. this will take time...lots of time! after that just spin the axle a few revolutions at slow speed (easier done by spinning the opposite wheel) and just watch the ball bearings fall one by one. after that the axle just slides off with no effort on your part!!! You're Welcome.
Then all that is left is to grind the outer race if the bearing to remove it from the transfer case and presto. It took me about 4 to 5 hours to get mine out but it was the only way to do it at home with no outside help.
Thank you!!!! So i needed a dremmel either way and i already have the bearing seal and cage out :). Dremel just got here today so I'm going to attack this tonight or this weekend.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Did you get it with the Flex attachment? This will make things go much easier.

A few things I forgot to mention...
I hope you already did this, but You did not mention this on your original post, but before the right side CV axle is removed, you need to drain the transfer case grease and the transmission fluid on the pan. As stated on the repair manual when the axle shaft is removed this allows for the grease to leak out of the transfer case into the tranny and also allows the transmission fluid to leak into the transfer case. If this happens, both fluids will be mixed and cause problems.

Also...
When the axle shaft actually comes out make sure you put a small moist towel or sock in the transfer case opening. This will allow you to grind away at the bearing outer race with the Dremmel without the fear of getting metal shavings into the transfer case. Oh, and of course wear eye protection as there will be lots of sparks flying.

I started with the cone shaped grinding stone because it makes it easy to guide the tool where you want the hole to be as the space is very limited. After the hole is set and the cone grinding stone starts to wear out you can move to the regular cylinder shaped stone as it has the perfect size for the ball bearing to come out. Just take your time and let the tool do it's thing. Don't rush it and check periodically to make sure you don't over grind into the transfer case metal ridge.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Did you get it with the Flex attachment? This will make things go much easier.

A few things I forgot to mention...
I hope you already did this, but You did not mention this on your original post, but before the right side CV axle is removed, you need to drain the transfer case grease and the transmission fluid on the pan. As stated on the repair manual when the axle shaft is removed this allows for the grease to leak out of the transfer case into the tranny and also allows the transmission fluid to leak into the transfer case. If this happens, both fluids will be mixed and cause problems.

Also...
When the axle shaft actually comes out make sure you put a small moist towel or sock in the transfer case opening. This will allow you to grind away at the bearing outer race with the Dremmel without the fear of getting metal shavings into the transfer case. Oh, and of course wear eye protection as there will be lots of sparks flying.

I started with the cone shaped grinding stone because it makes it easy to guide the tool where you want the hole to be as the space is very limited. After the hole is set and the cone grinding stone starts to wear out you can move to the regular cylinder shaped stone as it has the perfect size for the ball bearing to come out. Just take your time and let the tool do it's thing. Don't rush it and check periodically to make sure you don't over grind into the transfer case metal ridge.
Yeah i got the flex attachment per your recommendation and that made things so much easier. I managed to get the inner race out tonight and the axle came out - huge victory there!

I still need to remove the outer race though so i'll be doing that tomorrow and i really appreciate the advice.

I should've taken more pictures of the process unfortunately... but here is my victory shot!

Again thank you very much for taking the time to detail the steps you took, I had a similar idea to destroy the bearing but without the details you provided i'd have been dead in the water.

Aircraft Wood Flooring Gas Automotive tire

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Very nice! That axle shaft goes all the way in the transfer case? Dude that’s ridiculous.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I'm very glad it worked out and very happy to be able to help. I just hope you had as big a sense of accomplishment and relief when that big shaft came out like I did! Whew
Out of the tools I've ever owned (and I have many) the dremmel has always been at the very top, so many times it has saved the day. Oh, after I cut the outer race of the bearing from the transfer case, I used the wire brush attachment to polish the dirt and rust out of the metal ring that holds the bearing in place. I then coated the surface with high temp grease (you could use antiseize) to prevent the new one from welding itself again for future proofing.
I wanted to make a video when I did mine to show and help others but like you the project became so frustrating and delayed by my failed attempts that I just lost interest and wanted it done asap since I lost so much time at the begining. Now I wish I would've gone ahead with it. Oh well

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
The passenger side axle kicked my ass the first time around. I rented a slide hammer with fwd removal adapter from oreilleys the trick is you gotta have it perfectly straight and hammer away. As you hammer, slowly rotate the axle and it should pop out. Be careful to not let it fly off and hit you in the face. The circlip inside needs to be perfectly aligned

·
Registered
89SupraT 96T100
134 Posts
Well I hope I don't have to go through this for a while. I really like my 05 AWD but this is not something I'm looking forward to.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts