Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
90' Camry
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While working under my 90 Camry, I noticed the boot right next to the wheel was torn (axle boot or some other name for it??). I will have my local shop replace it tomorrow but it could have torn at any time over the last 2 months, since the last time I was under the car. How likely is it that enough dirt has gotten in to screw up things? I've driven 3K miles over mainly highways durig that time.

I notice the corresponding boot on the other side seems to have a shiny 'seam' in one of the folds. Is this a tear about to happen or could it be normal? I don't recall seeing it before. I'm wondering if I should replace both rather than need a second visit when it goes, if it is a problem.

·
30 yrs of Car Photography
90 Camry DX 2.0L A/T
536 Posts
did you figure things out yet? Hope so.

I've never heard of replacing just the CV boot. In fact, I didn't even think it was possible until recently seeing boot kits being sold. I suppose if you catch it early, it could help to replace just the boot. But either way, I doubt they will hold grease as long as the ones sealed at the axle plant. It's really not necessary to replace both sides if just replacing the boots, but not a bad idea. I've learned over the years that it's always better to replace both sides of anything at the same time, even headlights or anything else because once something is replace with new, it puts more strain on the old and quickly causes the old item to go. I guess that theory wouldn't hold true if you just replace the boot.

Hey, I know what you mean though... my 90 DX needs a right axle, so I'm trying to find good prices now. I don't look forward to doing the work because I never really liked doing them. It was easy when I worked at a nice shop with a lift, but doing it now with just a floor jack and jack stands isn't fun.

Good luck!

·
Registered
90' Camry
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
replaced both

The shop recommended I do both so I bit the bullet and laid out the cash. Sure hope I get another year after all this expense! Thanks for the interest.

·
90 Camry DX 2.0L A/T
536 Posts
I pity you for having to pay out all that money. But hey, I'm next! Doing both of mine in the next 4-6 weeks. Still looking for best prices. Autozone is cheapest locally at $60 each plus $10 core each plus tax. But I have a few weeks to keep searching for better prices. If you know of a killer price online, please share it with us. Thanks.

Glad you got it all taken care of.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Is this what you guys are talking about? This photo is from the left side through the wheel wheel. The one toward the rear is busted on mine and made a mess of grease underneath. The front ones are fine.

Is it hard to replace yourself? The whole thing, not just the boot.

·
90 Camry DX 2.0L A/T
536 Posts
The forward one is what we are talking about. It's the CV Axle.

The rear one (on the right in your picture) is part of the steering gear housing (also known as the steering rack to most mechanics but the "rack" is actually inside the housing). Mine leaks REALLY bad all over my garage and I have to add power steering fluid about once a month. I'm just going to replace it soon with a used one that isn't leaking. The removal process is really quite simple, it only looks hard.

I really don't believe you can replace anything like the boot but I suppose it's possible. I'd just suggest getting the entire gear housing with tie rod ends from a wrecking yard.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
932 Posts
Thanks hairball, I guess they do just sell the boots..see link

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/search/?Ntt=Steering+Rack

A lot less $ to do just that. I don't have steering fluid leaking. It's really thick axle type grease all underneath. Maybe the previous owner had a cv boot issue and that's what made the mess?

Do you know if the steering rack also has that type of grease contained within the boot? If so, then maybe I need to replace it rather than just the boots.

That Dr. J seems knowledgeable, maybe he will chime in if you don't know

1 - 7 of 7 Posts