Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Make sure the car is on good jackstands. Then make sure again. Put on some work gloves. Grab the outer cv joint with both hands. Push repeatedly almost like banging it as hard as you can into the tranny. Then on the inner cv joint put a pry bar on the bottom part and your other hand on the top. Pull with your top hand and pry with the other. It will wiggle a little for a bit then start to come out. I'll put up some instructional pics later.

·
Registered
26 Posts
thanks for the info, these drive lines are being a pain to my back side. i will try this out tomorrow afternoon. i'll let you know if it worked.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I also had a really hard time on the passenger side. I ended up having to get the support beam unbolted from the front crossmember and then the bolts at the rear also. I put the jack under the part towards the rear where the engine and tranny meet. Lift it up slightly. That allowed me to swing that support beam out of the way. This gave me room to get a bigger pry bar in there. However I used it differently than normal. I put the curved portion of the pry bar resting on the metal part of the axle. Then had the flathead portion resting on the transmission. Gave a few good pries and did a third of a turn. Pried it again. Then another third of a turn and pried. That enabled me to get the axle out much easier than before. If this doesn't make sense, I can take some pics tomorrow morning while it's still jacked up. I realize it seems like a lot to do, but man-o-man it sucks prying for nearly and hour and not getting anywhere. Oh and make sure you push in on the out cv joint as previously described. Do that first. I think it helps relieve the snap ring.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts