Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Chicks dig it...!
'06 Tacoma EC Sport
1,893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
(edit: "Baby" being my Tacoma, not me...:cool: )

Foolishly trying to dial a number on my Treo while driving, I caught a curb, tore my tire, but looks like the rim is sheared near the bead, so it seems I have to get a new stock sport rim. Correct me if I am wrong, based on these pics.

Anyone in my area have a used TRD Sport rim I can buy used before I go through a stealership...?

BTW, I have an anti theft lock on my spare, and what a PITA to change a flat. Poor design by Toyota, even without the spare lock. Assembling that Erector Set of a crank to lower the tire, and trying to get it in the hole, became "amateur hour" on the highway...I even lost one of those stupid little wing nuts that holds the pieces together...

Thanx for the input in advance, folks...

·
Official Newb
2006 4x4 Tacoma TRD
1,210 Posts
i think the wheel looks fine, structurally speaking. take it to a tire shop and have them give you an opinion on the integrity of the wheel

·
Official Misfit
1,453 Posts
my advice, don't use your cell when driving.

:gfy:

·
Chicks dig it...!
'06 Tacoma EC Sport
1,893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
81shark said:
my advice, don't use your cell when driving.

:gfy:
Yes...I agree and am embarrased...I am usually very careful, but that is a good lesson, and I definitley brought this on myself...

·
Chicks dig it...!
'06 Tacoma EC Sport
1,893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
TucsonTRD said:
i think the wheel looks fine, structurally speaking. take it to a tire shop and have them give you an opinion on the integrity of the wheel
I took it by a service station around the corner and he thought it would not hold a bead...

He could be wrong and I'll get a second opinion from a tire shop or the dealer. Do you see how it is sheared a bit on the inside of the lip? Maybe it is still OK.

·
My name is Blake
Toyota Tacoma
4,913 Posts
I have had a couple Treos and I will never buy another one again. They freeze too much!

Besides that, bringing down that spare is a bitch. It's easy but a bitch. :lol:

I say you plop down about $300-400 and get yourself a whole new set of wheels off eBay.

Maybe some 4-Runner wheels or something!?

·
Trevor
2,026 Posts
Judging from the pics the inner part of the rims edge appears not to have sustained damage. If that is the case you should be fine. The bead of the tire presses againt the inside of the lip and rim edge, not the top.

·
Registered
22 Posts
The rim doesn't look that bad to me, BUT...

I'll make you a deal on FOUR rims off my '06 Sport, complete with 265/65/17 Dueler AT Revos (4k miles on them) mounted!

;)

·
Slightly Sane
06 TRD Sport Ex. Cab
580 Posts
:headbang:

That sucks Gerald!! Chances are it will be cheaper for you to get a set of 4 from someone on here or CT than it will be to get a new one from the dealer. I'll keep an eye out for you. If you do end up seeing a good deal on more than 1, let me know- I would be up for buying one off of you (I have a decent scratch on one of mine- although I am contemplating just getting some nicer rims).

Have you talked to Randy about meeting up next Saturday??

·
Theatre Nerd Person...yea
Tacoma
1,969 Posts
Tis but a scratch! :lol:

·
Registered
539 Posts
should ho;d air... looks like it anyway... i would use the spare tire on that rim and get a used tire for the spare... who cares if it matchs... stock tire suck anyway

·
Registered
707 Posts
Go to a reputable tire shop and have them spin the wheel without a tire on it. Check for runout (bent). If it's not bent or cracked you should be good. Or pick up a used one and have this as your spare.

·
1st time Toyota Owner
141 Posts
novataco said:
(edit: "Baby" being my Tacoma, not me...:cool: )
BTW, I have an anti theft lock on my spare, and what a PITA to change a flat. Poor design by Toyota, even without the spare lock. Assembling that Erector Set of a crank to lower the tire, and trying to get it in the hole, became "amateur hour" on the highway...I even lost one of those stupid little wing nuts that holds the pieces together...

Ya', I agree, but don't complain to loudly or else some of the assholes on here will find it necessary to insult you. See what I mean here: http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/t171781.html

Anyway, good luck with the rim.

·
Registered
343 Posts
The wheel should be fine. May be a little bent but I've seen a whole lot worse. Like about 5" of the bead exposed because a whole chunk of the rim was missing. And they drove it in that way.

And while I will not knock you for complaining about the spare tire tool I will say this....God bless America.

·
Precision driver
2,105 Posts
I personally would buy a new rim. The sport wheels you have are fine, just fine a replacement. But after looking at thos Dunlop AT20's, well it looks like you may have "damaged your tire". Darn. Looks like you better tell the wifey that you need new tires:clap:

·
Registered
05 Red crew cab
228 Posts
Rim Trim

I think it may hold. One other thing you might do is have a GOOD welder who is experienced in aluminum welding to evaluate the repair. They might be able to clean, weld and dress. I've seen them weld some things I would have never thought possible and afterwards you would never be able to know the difference. JUST A IDEA. NEVER KNOW TILL YOU ASK>:eek:hyeah:

·
Red Headed Slut
1,843 Posts
Nova you should be fine. Here's what one of my offroad rims looked like after it had a fight with the curb:

You can't really see just how bad it was from my horrible camera phone picture, but it was a lot worse looking than yours. Mine held a bead with no problems.

·
Chicks dig it...!
'06 Tacoma EC Sport
1,893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Thanks guys....glad the local mechanic was wrong. I filed down the outside a bit to blunt a couple of the shards, and was also concerned about a deep cut in the alloy that went pretty far down on the inside of the rim.

Took it to NTB and they mounted my spare Dunlop on the rim no problem. I had them throw a cheap tire on the spare. I made a deal with the manager and paid the $7.00 for the roadside hazard insurance on the spare if they would give me free rotations on my original 4 tires. He laughed at first when I suggested it, then I asked him why he was offering it to me on a spare...so he said no problem...

I was leaning towards throwing all new BFG AT's on, but household money contraints right now dictate otherwise...not to mention my wife was a little pissed about it and I didn't want to aggrivate her more over it. So I'll get some more miles out of the Dunflops (which actually are holding up well) and get some new rubber, and maybe wheels, down the road...

I may still bid on that single rim on ebay...just to have a clean rim...and use the damaged one as a spare...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts