Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what do you think I'm looking at before I take my taco in for a rear brake job price wise...NE Ohio 225 Miles, they wouldn't touch when I was down in Atlanta for the winter

·
My Other Truck
3,786 Posts
I do much of my own maintenance so I'm not a good source for a price estimate. But I gotta ask, how many miles are on the truck and how hard do you brake it? Is the lining on the shoes getting thin or are there other issues? Rear brakes on these trucklets generally last a long, long time.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
225,000 miles, had brake lining done last year down south, it was murder, something like 1200.00. don't brake hard, but it looks pretty rusty to me. they (dealer) said between 600-800 bucks for new brakes, aftermarket

·
My Other Truck
3,786 Posts
$1200, ouch, I hope at least kissed you! With that done just a year ago, you shouldn't be needing new brakes again so soon. Or maybe the linings are good but the shoes / drums are badly rusted? If you have a trusted mechanic (not the dealer) I would ask for a second opinion. Something doesn't seem right. Can you post pics of the problem area?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well here I am to tell you my sad story. New back brakes were 584.60. (oil change as well) I don't know if that was bad or good.
I do know that the dealer in Georgia wouldn't touch them and said he couldn't even get a handle on if I needed them are not cause they were so rusty. He even said that they had one heck of a time with the brake line which was leaking which is why the hefty price tag and no, there were no kisses. I got the brakes done at a Toyota
dealership. The only bad taste in my mouth is that I specifically asked for a Mobil 1 Synthetic Oil Change and did not realize till I got home and went over my invoice that all I got was some half - as-ed semi-synthetic oil. My Taco has only ever had Mobil 1 Syn in it and that is why I have 225 thousand miles on it and have only ever had to replace the windshield wiper motor, and the recalls......

1 - 5 of 5 Posts