Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there, 2010 Camry SE, 4-cylinder owner here.

I'm a dummy and backed into the other car in my driveway. I grazed the other car with my back left bumper on it's front ride side, right around the front of its wheel well. When I stopped, the side of my bumper must have been past the front of the wheel well on the other vehicle. I panicked and pulled back forward without stopping to figure things out, and I heard a rip, and then dragging as the bumper was torn off on the left side and back side of my car. I assume this happened because the other car's wheel well hooked and held the corner of my bumper. My bumper remained attached on the right side somehow.

Here's the album of the damage to my bumper: http://imgur.com/a/gDTit with captions on each picture.

I'm guessing I'll need to replace the bumper cover completely, as I see warped plastic on it. I think I will also need to do some work on the one mount-point on the back left side - the yellow plastic that holds the screw is broken, and it even warped the bordering metal a bit (although that can probably be tapped back into place with a hammer.)

General Questions:

1) Based on what I've explained, and the pictures, am I right? Will I need a bumper replacement?

2) From what you can see, will I need any additional work done?

3) How much would you guess this would cost if I take it to a professional?

4) Should I take it directly to the Toyota dealer, or is a local mechanic a better bet? My dad has a decent relationship with a mechanic in town who he's trusted for years and years.

DIY Route:

I found this this video which explains how to replace a bumper cover - seems simple enough that I could do it myself:
I tried searching for the bumper cover part online (I assumed Toyota would have the original part number listed somewhere easy to find,) but I had trouble identifying the original part number. I found a bunch of sites that seem to have non-original manufacturer parts (ie. third party replacement parts designed to mimic the original Toyota branded ones.) I don't know if those parts are just as good or not.

DIY Route Questions:

5) How to I identify the exact Toyota bumper cover part # I need? Once I have the right part number, should I be looking for the actual original Toyota part, or are third party replacements just as good? Where should I be looking to find what I need (online, specific stores, etc?)

6) What does 'part comes unprimed' mean? I've seen that several times when looking at bumper covers online. Does it have something to do with paint color?

7) How do I make sure that I'm getting a replacement that is the same color as my car? I don't see the parts places listing color, so I'm guessing that if I buy online the part comes unpainted (right?) If that's the case, how/where do I get it painted the proper color? Do I need to take it to the Toyota dealership? Seems like that might be expensive.

8) I'm still concerned about how I'm going to replace the yellow thing that holds the left back screw (again, see pictures here: http://imgur.com/a/gDTit) - it sits behind the metal. Any thoughts or advice? Will it be easy to remove and then re-attach the metal thing blocking that yellow piece? I feel comfortable with the bumper cover removal/reattachment, but that metal piece seems like it's more than a visual component.

9) Any other info that might be helpful? Are there any particular reasons I should not attempt to do this myself? Seems like it has the potential to save me a significant amount of money, or end up costing me even more and it'll end up not working out the way I thought.

Thanks again!

·
Toyota Fanatic
1,152 Posts
Here's my experience. I got rear ended, killed both sides of the bumper but was able to save my old bumper and reuse it.

Hi there, 2010 Camry SE, 4-cylinder owner here.
General Questions:

1) Based on what I've explained, and the pictures, am I right? Will I need a bumper replacement?

Yes, since your screw hole next to the clip is trashed, you really need a new bumper.

You need new brackets on the car itself, on my '07 there's no screws to it so it wouldn't hold after impact. I junk yarded new ones.

Easily $1500+ if using OEM parts

4) Should I take it directly to the Toyota dealer, or is a local mechanic a better bet? My dad has a decent relationship with a mechanic in town who he's trusted for years and years.

I'd recommend a mechanic but use OEM parts, tried a generic one for an LE off eBay, didn't like it.

5) How to I identify the exact Toyota bumper cover part # I need? Once I have the right part number, should I be looking for the actual original Toyota part, or are third party replacements just as good? Where should I be looking to find what I need (online, specific stores, etc?)

You can go to your dealer and have them print the diagram, that's what I did. They'll ask for your VIN when you order as they can paint match it too. 3rd parties are a hit/miss, up to you if you want to try it.

6) What does 'part comes unprimed' mean? I've seen that several times when looking at bumper covers online. Does it have something to do with paint color?

Unprimed means it comes as a raw bumper, as if it was fresh out the factory. You will still need to prime before your color goes on as that insures a good painting surface.

7) How do I make sure that I'm getting a replacement that is the same color as my car? I don't see the parts places listing color, so I'm guessing that if I buy online the part comes unpainted (right?) If that's the case, how/where do I get it painted the proper color? Do I need to take it to the Toyota dealership? Seems like that might be expensive.

Typically unpainted, it's hard to match paint without VIN and most of the online retailers just sell they don't paint or install.

8) I'm still concerned about how I'm going to replace the yellow thing that holds the left back screw (again, see pictures here: http://imgur.com/a/gDTit) - it sits behind the metal. Any thoughts or advice? Will it be easy to remove and then re-attach the metal thing blocking that yellow piece? I feel comfortable with the bumper cover removal/reattachment, but that metal piece seems like it's more than a visual component.

A bit of cutting and tapping will get it back, I messed up that hole too but with patience I got it back.

9) Any other info that might be helpful? Are there any particular reasons I should not attempt to do this myself? Seems like it has the potential to save me a significant amount of money, or end up costing me even more and it'll end up not working out the way I thought.

Nothing wrong with doing it yourself if you have the right materials and tools. I think you can do it as you have no form of frame/panel damage. You're just replacing parts...

Thanks again!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Here's my experience. I got rear ended, killed both sides of the bumper but was able to save my old bumper and reuse it.

General Questions:

Yes, since your screw hole next to the clip is trashed, you really need a new bumper.

I guess I just want to clarify here - I should've said "new bumper cover" not "new bumper." I am under the impression that the only parts that need replacing are the bumper cover, and whatever the proper name for the yellow thing that holds onto that back left screw is, right?

You need new brackets on the car itself, on my '07 there's no screws to it so it wouldn't hold after impact. I junk yarded new ones.

Hmm, so I guess I'm not sure what the brackets are. Seems like it's something besides the bumper cover and the yellow screw receiver. Are you indicating they need to be replaced because you see them in my pictures and they're clearly broken? I'd like to see if I can find them online, or at the junk yard, but I need to know what to look for.

Easily $1500+ if using OEM parts

Yikes! I did not expect it to run that much. I'd really rather not file a claim, my insurance is already high enough, and my deductable is $500 I think... Do you think I'd be able to keep costs down if I were to find a generic bumper cover online and then take it to a body shop of priming/painting and do the install myself? What if I went to a junk yard and tried to find a used bumper cover without much damage, and just had that repainted, and then handled the install myself?

I'd recommend a mechanic but use OEM parts, tried a generic one for an LE off eBay, didn't like it.

Anywhere to get discounted OEM parts besides the junk yard?

You can go to your dealer and have them print the diagram, that's what I did. They'll ask for your VIN when you order as they can paint match it too. 3rd parties are a hit/miss, up to you if you want to try it.

So you ordered the OEM part directly through a dealership and had them handle the painting? Would it possibly be cheaper to have a body repair place do the ordering and painting?

6) Answered. Removed.

7) Answered. Removed.

A bit of cutting and tapping will get it back, I messed up that hole too but with patience I got it back.

So to clarify, did you replace the yellow screw receiver (not sure of the proper name) or did you just cut it out and go without that screw?

Nothing wrong with doing it yourself if you have the right materials and tools. I think you can do it as you have no form of frame/panel damage. You're just replacing parts...

The tools don't seem to be a problem (screw drivers, a socket wrench, and maybe some pliers or something to tear away the broken pieces of that yellow thing.) I don't know how likely I'd be to get my hands on a bumper that is the proper color, but if I can find one for cheap and have it painted by a local shop, then install it myself, I guess I'm trying to figure out if I can cut my expenses way down.

Thanks again!

·
Toyota Fanatic
1,152 Posts
Since the last one got too clogged with quotes, I'll start fresh.

1. Yes you are right, what you want to replace is the bumper cover, not the bumper that connects to the frame. Terminology slipped my head there. You also need all new mounting parts, from brackets to screws. At the age of you car, replace the screws for piece of mind, most of mine are rusting and when I actually get a new cover, I'll swap those out too. Trying to save a few bucks ended up costing me in the end.

2. Black brackets that remain on the side of the car are what I'm talking about. It's next to the wheel well and is where the clips and last screw holds the bumper cover from the sides.

3. Yes, skip insurance at all costs in this case. I did and am glad I did. It's cosmetic and doesn't affect driving much as I drove around without it while it was getting touched up in a body shop (not recommended but I did it). Generic works, again, quality is a hit or miss so do your research. You need an SE bumper which has slits for the bottom lip and that's impossible to find in junk yards and in good condition around me as I'm looking for one myself.

4. eBay, you can buy used covers but then you'll have to repaint. Don't expect perfect but most have all the screw holes and clips in good shape just lots of scratches/wear/etc.

5. If you're going generic then skip the dealer altogether. They can match paint if you pay otherwise it will come close. Some shops by me force you to pay up for OEM paint or they use their color match which comes close but with a sharp eye is different. If you need to save a buck this is the way to go.

8. Yes you need to replace the yellow plastic nut. That screw is important to the support of the cover so definitely get it back in order.

9. The hardest is the color matched cover. Everything else as you've already noticed is just elbow grease, even tools aren't sophisticated to get things on and off.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts