Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1998 Camry (4 cylinder, auto). I can't locate the back uplight switch:rockon:. The Chilton's manual says it's located by the starter on top of the transmission, but I don't see it? Can someone point me in the right direction ? A photo would be great. I need to get this replaced as I have no back up lights:dunno:.

Bob L.

·
Registered
03 CAMRY XLE
3,244 Posts
The wiring diagram indicates that the back-up light switch on the automatic transmission car is built into the neutral safety switch ... NSS. On the manual transmission, there is a separate switch.

You might try the following DIY link ... usually needs to be done after so many years.:
http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/1...66549-diy-neutral-safety-switch-cleaning.html

... not too much of a project ... two or three hours maybe. Be sure and lube the small perimeter gasket between the two NSS case halves ... This will keep out moisture. Use fine emery cloth on all the copper contacts surfaces. Spray everything down with electrical contact cleaner, and then replace old silicone dielectric grease with new.

If the NSS isn't the problem, then you will have to check the wiring at the trunk hinges, or maybe the ground wire that goes to the back up lights.
Maybe do that first ... see if you have voltage to the power wire on the light bulb socket. If you have voltage, then you will have to verify that the bulb socket ground wire is connected to a chassis ground.

·
Registered
50 Posts
1998 camry back up lights

Good evening. Both back up lights are out in my 1998 camry v6. checked the fuse. It looks good. I believe I checked the correct fuse - gauge - and they all work.. I checked the trunk wiring. it all looks good. reverse light on dash lights up. put in a brand new bulb on one side and that didn't help. This explains my handle, "huh?" Sometimes I just need a little help from my friends at Toyota Nation! Any thoughts

·
Administrator
14,390 Posts
Did you check the wiring by the left trunk hinge carefully? They commonly break there due to the flexing from opening/closing the trunk. Sometimes the wires break inside the insulation. Is there 12 volts in the bulb sockets center tap?

·
Registered
50 Posts
I did not get out the volt meter yet. This was supposed to be easy. Change the bulb and I am done. This is going to sound stupid. To get current, I am guessing, the car would have to be put in reverse. How am I going to check for 12 volts without my wife backing over me? Maybe this will be the time I get to prove that I love her by dying for her.... NOT. Maybe she will put her foot on the brake....maybe not.

·
Administrator
14,390 Posts
Yep, gotta put it in reverse to check for voltage. Do it with the key on, engine off, parking brake applied.

·
Administrator
14,390 Posts
Haha!... Does your wife look like this? Probably best if you DIY!

·
Registered
50 Posts
I did get out the volt meter. Which wires are for the back up light? I thought that there was a thread about this, but I can't find it.....and then to make it intersting
I noted that the two wires that go into the back up itself light are red and black. Several of these wires are so tiny, I can c why they break inside.

btw My wife didn't back over me this morning when she took the car to work. Maybe she wants to keep me around until I get the back up lights fixed.

·
Administrator
14,390 Posts
I'd get the socket out, remove the bulb, and check voltage across the socket's contacts.

·
Registered
50 Posts
back up switch location

I have a 1998 Camry (4 cylinder, auto). I can't locate the back uplight switch:rockon:. The Chilton's manual says it's located by the starter on top of the transmission, but I don't see it?

Back up switch location question. I did not get power to my back up light wires. Toyota dealer sold me a back up switch for a 1998 camry v6. I think after reading this post, I am going to have to take it back. Unless you tell me otherwise, there is not one. Google images shows one...I can also find the part on line... However, it seems that the reality is that it is part of the neutral safety switch. I found the neutral safety switch replacement instructions on youtube. I am done trying to finds posts and Google info on this...any thoughts? Thanks.

·
short-throw dipstick
6,216 Posts
I have a 1998 Camry (4 cylinder, auto). I can't locate the back uplight switch:rockon:. The Chilton's manual says it's located by the starter on top of the transmission, but I don't see it?

Back up switch location question. I did not get power to my back up light wires. Toyota dealer sold me a back up switch for a 1998 camry v6. I think after reading this post, I am going to have to take it back. Unless you tell me otherwise, there is not one. Google images shows one...I can also find the part on line... However, it seems that the reality is that it is part of the neutral safety switch. I found the neutral safety switch replacement instructions on youtube. I am done trying to finds posts and Google info on this...any thoughts? Thanks.
On my uncle's '95 the reverse lights weren't turning on when you shifted into reverse. NSS needed a cleaning and adjustment

·
Registered
50 Posts
Sometimes when I get frustrated, I dig a bit deeper. I got in the trunk and kept going checking wires...leaving my lovely wife elsewhere. Otherwise, I would never get any work done. The back up lights are now working. What was it? I kept going with the wire loom in the trunk. RED wire broken... No wonder I wasn't getting current. As far as Toyota...I intend to take the part back. Just for confirmation...on the 98 Camry is the back up switch a part of the neutral safety switch? Thanks.

·
Registered
1 Posts
access to reverse light switch

I have 2001 camry, the location of the switch looks tough to get to without having to take anything a part.
Cant find video on internet about how to get access to this location easily, I am a novice.
Any advise or help?
thanks! I'll continue looking.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.