Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Highlander Hybrid Newbie
2009 Highlander Hybr
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone out there installed back-up proximity sensors on their HiHy? I am interested in knowing what brands are good, how hard it was to do the install yourself, where you routed the wiring and put the control unit, etc. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2008 Highlander Base
35,702 Posts
I don't know if you've read through this thread yet or whether it'll help any, but check out this thread on the same subject. Hope it can help.

TrailDust

·
Highlander Hybrid Newbie
2009 Highlander Hybr
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks TrailDust. That other thread is indeed helpful. However, it didn't talk about the difficulty of installing it yourself - they all seem to have had the dealer install them. Hmm, maybe I should take a hint from that. Still hoping that somebody out there has installed back-up sensors themselves and can comment on the difficulty, wire routing, control unit placement, etc.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Thanks TrailDust. That other thread is indeed helpful. However, it didn't talk about the difficulty of installing it yourself - they all seem to have had the dealer install them. Hmm, maybe I should take a hint from that. Still hoping that somebody out there has installed back-up sensors themselves and can comment on the difficulty, wire routing, control unit placement, etc.

http://www.echomaster.com/echomaster/

I puchased my backup sensors kit from one of there local dealers and installed it myself. I used the 2 sensor set up which I think is the best one I picked that kit because I had it as a dealer installed item on my subaru outback so I had experience with using this kit.

whether you can do this or not depends on how mechanically incline you are. It involves taking the rear bumper off so that the 2 hole can be drillled and also removing some of the panels in the trunk area and also some moldings.

wire routing I ran the right & left sensor wire thru the floor Gromet zip tied the wiring to the harness and tapped into the reverse light wire for power..

most people just pay someone to do this because they install these kits everyday and can do this faster then you and I

hope this helps

·
Registered
117 Posts
just wondering if you've considered a wireless backup camera? most of them attach to the license plate bolts and are wired into the rear door. transmitter sends a signal to a small monitor mounted somewhere up front.

·
Highlander Hybrid Newbie
2009 Highlander Hybr
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks nsxman for the installation information. I am fairly mechanical, and have done stuff like this before, but this sounds like a pretty big job. Guess I need to think this over a little more...

·
Highlander Hybrid Newbie
2009 Highlander Hybr
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks to_fire, but i already have the stock back-up camera on this vehicle. it's very helpful for spotting things directly behind the center of the vehicle, but you can't see to the sides and you can't really tell how close anything is. don't get me wrong - i'm really glad I have that backup camera! It just doesn't solve the whole problem.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Thanks nsxman for the installation information. I am fairly mechanical, and have done stuff like this before, but this sounds like a pretty big job. Guess I need to think this over a little more...
I took some photos but I'm not sure how to upload them to this thread.. Or i can email them to you so you can see how this looks.. Let me know

·
Highlander Hybrid Newbie
2009 Highlander Hybr
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks nsxman! The sensors look good - probably wouldn't even notice them if they weren't pointed out. Perfect!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts