Toyota Nation Forum banner

981 - 1000 of 1039 Posts

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Coffee is a wonderful tool when you know your body. I knew I would have a rough few days so made sure I got at least 8 hours of sleep for a few days. It helps a lot.

True, one way or another coffee helps. Either the caffeine effect or the bladder discomfort from too many cups will keep you up.

·
Premium Member
1,275 Posts
Holiday Inn breakfasts are good too so not everything is bad about staying there. Now stop stealing their towels. :lol:

·
Premium Member
1,275 Posts
Around here the only place worth eating at which is open at 4am is whataburger. I'd eat at denny's since they're also open at that time if the one near me was good but it's not. Once it's 5:30am then some McDs, BKs and donut shops are open.

·
7,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #987
So I went to Mt Neebo today and did 4.5 miles of trails I didn't do last time I was around.it was icy then and these trails were very steep switchbacks and stone steps in many places. Springs and waterfalls and wild life with awesome views. I haz a happy.

·
Premium Member
1,275 Posts
Nice. You cool off with any of that water fall on you? That fat deer act like it wanted you to hand feed it?

·
7,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #990
The deer was super tame. I think you could have hand fed it on foot away from the road.

Kev ot had some VERY sketchy parts as far as I wouldn't attempt it with rain. I loved it and hope to go back and do a couple smaller loops that are supposed to have some hand over hand climbing on the way up. Perhaps tonight depending how this day goes.

·
7,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #991
Managed to squeeze in over 3 more miles before it was dangerously dark.

Summit park trail and then on the shady side into Varnell spring.

Lots of steps, quite a bit more up and down than yesterday, loved it. The hand over hand part applies to shorter legged folks, I had no trouble high stepping the boulders. Very enjoyable hike/run. Lots more bugs out today. Had some form of horsefly making sure I kept my pace up for awhile.

This spring water was piped a few miles away to Dardenell Rock and supplied them with drinking water in the 1800s.

Fern lake. Back in the day it was crystal clear.

·
7,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #992
I have been Jonesing for a bike ride but alas it's in the Monaco.
I was hoping to sneak off early and get to Petit jean Mountain and get 8 or 10 miles in there but ended up being another 13 hour day so it didn't happen.
Last couple nights I have went here--
Bona Dea Trails & Sanctuary
Scenic 7 Byway, Russellville, AR 72801
(501) 968-5008
https://maps.app.goo.gl/i2ExA7D44qm4JMBH7

A whole lot of this type of stuff. They must fog as I have seen next to no skeeters. I ran it yesterday 92* no breeze and humid as heck, I was drenched in sweat. Much more pleasant today, cooler at 82* and a slight breeze and I'm walking it.

It's been interesting to note how I feel, been really pushing the calorie deficit. Been going 12 to 14 hours without eating. Today I broke fast with two small apples and a handful of walnuts. Then my big ol bag of veggies for lunch so under 450 calories or so and no pre walk food as it's not strenuous. Gonna do a 600 calorie salad for dinner. I'm looking forward to my "cheat" day tomorrow haha.

·
7,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #993
So it was only an 11 hour day today so I went and did every last foot of trail that I hadn't done yet.

I also went back around to some of the spots I liked previously. Really felt good and was able to tackle some stairs at the end after 6 miles and not slow down. I have made some real gains and it's a good boost to my motivation. I have moved my lactate threshold up around 8 or 10 bpm I think.

Dang app wouldn't sync the activity, I had to input it manually. It is on the Garmin and I can look at everything there but not the more in detail running stats in the app :(

I did almost as much downhill as the 1509 climbing up.

Glorious day, just perfect.

·
Premium Member
1,275 Posts
If it was 65 with a breeze then it would be perfect. Hot freakin day. Pretty but humid so having to take numerous breaks working outside. Despite spf 50 sunscreen my forehead is peeling after days of working outdoors so wearing a hat to block sun today makes me even more hot out there. Good way to cool down if you can't drink any more cold fluids is put an ice pack on your chest and bag of frozen peas on your head while seated a few minutes.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
If it was 65 with a breeze then it would be perfect. Hot freakin day. Pretty but humid so having to take numerous breaks working outside. Despite spf 50 sunscreen my forehead is peeling after days of working outdoors so wearing a hat to block sun today makes me even more hot out there. Good way to cool down if you can't drink any more cold fluids is put an ice pack on your chest and bag of frozen peas on your head while seated a few minutes.
I normally get the same way (sunburned head, as a hat makes me feel hotter), but this year I'm doing better thanks to all of the frigging rain we've had keeping me out of the sun. I keep bottled water in the beer fridge to keep it cold, as I'll slam 1 down in no time flat (trying to re hydrate).

·
7,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #996 (Edited)
Welp I was feeling good and decided to push it more today as the next couple days I won't have the opportunity to do more than perhaps a mile or two walk.

I went across the water from where I was the other day to Lake Dardenell state park and trail ran the mountain bike trail.

Twist and turns, up and down out the wazoo. I was sick of it by the time I was done. I was on an even twisty--er trail down by Galveston last year but I did about half as much there.

The lake.

A pond from the old mine 6.5 miles in.

And just because it's become something Inhave mentioned as I am always thinking about getting the last of my belly gone-- my lunch most days.

As an aside I am as in shape as I have been for years I think. During the day when I am sitting waiting at work my resting heart rate drops into the 40's and has spent time in the 30's bpm. Dang happy about that.

·
7,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #998
I got off early today so I did around 8.5 miles and 1600 calories around Petite Jean state park today. Around 1900ft up and 1600ft down or so.

I did the boy scout loop and a couple small side trails to see the trails I didn't have time for last time. I did the loop clockwise specifically because of the other reviewers bitching about a section of climbing. They suggested going the other way to go down it. I have to say it was a fantastic grind. Around 1.5 miles of constant 7 to 10% grade. Really something, it just kept going and going.

I would have liked to go down to the falls again as they were flowing more than last time but opted not to overdue it as my foot is still not 100% sorry to say.

The falls from the overlook.

Cedar creek upstream from the falls.

This was as big as a semi tractor. It was a small one compared to some uncovered in the creek, they were as big as small houses :eek:

What I assume was the original CCC overlook. I have to say I like the style and flow of it better than the steel and wood newer one up the trail from this one.

150 year old one room cabin. 9 kids birthed in it. People today are spoiled pansies haha.

The view from the back of the lodge with the high point at Magazine mountain in the distance.

Some of the really interesting terrain in the "bear cave" area. It gave me a smile as if I were a young boy I would have climbed all over and up to the small caves 20 foot up in the fissures.

If I get off early again I would like to go back and do the Seven Hollows trail and the Cedar Creek falls trail again.

·
7,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #999
So I hadn't checked that link I posted Kev. I did a minute ago and am sad to say it turned out bad --- https://m.facebook.com/InyoCountySheriffsOffice/posts/1247017568814141

It seems the incompetent employees of the rental company slowed the rescue efforts. Horrible scenario. I would appreciate any insight you have on that area as I know you have been all over it. I can only assume he went off trail, and or fell.

·
7,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,000
Ended up getting off way early so I took advantage of it.

95* 1500 ft+ up and down again, 9.2 miles, 1878 calories of muggy, sticky tromping around.

I did the Seven Hollows trail, the Cedar Creek Falls trail and the Canyon trail to the blu hole with some short side explorations.

Lots of terrain like this--

And this-- good thing that tree stopped the boulder from blocking the path :D

Several little caves like this on the trail. I assume they are hollows. I might be wrong though.

The "grotto"

A natural bridge. It was around 40ft yo the bottom of it.

And Arkansas's most photographed falls, Cedar Creek falls--

I went around to the actual water and had a quick shower to cool off. Here is a pic of some folks making their way back to the actual falls for some scale of the size of the place.

981 - 1000 of 1039 Posts