Toyota Nation Forum banner

1001 - 1020 of 1039 Posts

·
7,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,001
Went back to Mt Neebo tonight and got almost another 5 miles in. Getting close to 30 miles this week. I don't plan to do a lot tomorrow but I will probably walk a few miles just to get over 30.

I saw a guy on the trail with a VERY aggressive Schnauzer. He put him on the ground like he thought I wanted to try and make friends with him. Dope of a guy I don't want to get bit miles out in the woods. I just wanted to get on with my trail run.

·
Premium Member
1,270 Posts
Very pretty places hd! Good pics!

·
7,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,003
So I have been wanting to check out this place for awhile bit haven't as it's only a one mile trail. Today I drove up into the backwoods and did it plus wandering around off trail on an old logging road then through the campground and to the swimming hole on the river. Nice place shame they don't have more trails, they could have at least another mile loop along the river of they wanted it.

Long pool falls when they are but a trickle.

Big piney creek.

·
3,504 Posts
Squeezed in a camping trip, may hold on selling the pop-up until next summer. Headed 2 hours north- excellent camping. HUGE aspens and pines. 70+ year old trees for sure. Wife nad I, her brother and one of his girls, her sister and their three kids, and wife's parents. Plus three dogs. Mid-sized camp for this family.

We had such a massive wet winter and spring that a frightening amount of trees fell over all over the northern part of the state; ground was saturated and high winds blew them right out of the ground. So many fallen pines and aspens out there. Plus some kind of parasite killed some trees - lots of standing dead ones. Those aspens in this area we camped at were well over 100 feet tall. I should have taken some photos of some of the larger trunks - huge. But we may go back this fall when the leaves change and there aren't 500 Gabillion flies.

Drove up Friday morning, was in camp by 11:00 or so. Broke camp and was on the road home by 8:50 this morning (Sunday). Just a two hour drive and well worth it. Relaxing. Low 50's at night, got some gentle sporadic mountain rain. Probably around 8,000 ft elevation or a bit more.

Now off to Kansas City for work stuff. Boo.

·
7,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,005
Thats awesome! You didn't all stay in the pop up did you? That would be 9 people in a popup?

Lots of things to see in K.C. if you haven't been. I will be there in around a month myself. If you do nothing else you should check out this place if you are any type of sports fan at all -- https://goo.gl/maps/q57jorp3NVmHNjm67

They also have a movie theater across the street that has big couches and a great selection of brews both on tap and in bottles.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Thats awesome! You didn't all stay in the pop up did you? That would be 9 people in a popup?

Lots of things to see in K.C. if you haven't been. I will be there in around a month myself. If you do nothing else you should check out this place if you are any type of sports fan at all -- https://goo.gl/maps/q57jorp3NVmHNjm67

They also have a movie theater across the street that has big couches and a great selection of brews both on tap and in bottles.
Don't forget to tell him where the best places to eat are.;)

·
3,504 Posts

Just the wife and I in the pop-up, all the other suckers had to pitch tents (lol).

KC was a fast work trip. Got to eat at Q39, which was awesome. No time to do anything other than work and dinner; worked the 24th and flew home that evening. I'll be going there time to time to visit KC NSC so I'll plan on seeing some of the attractions on other trips. I should have stayed home due to the work stuff that kicks of Sunday, but part of my job so really needed to go.

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
Walking through the woods during a site visit, and I was looking at an ephemeral stream. About 10ft away the stream flowed into a hole and went underground. As soon as I was thinking, "That's cool, I wonder where it's going?" The ground underneath me collapsed and I fell waist level into a hole. I wish this picture wasn't blurry, but I'm happy I didn't break anything.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,270 Posts
Be glad it wasn't quicksand either but at least you had someone else with you.

·
7,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,016 (Edited)
So I am always looking online, asking in person and reading tourist handouts for new adventures, trails etc. I bought some frisbee golf discs the other day and played one of the courses here in Russellville along with running and riding the bike on the trails here. I have done everything within an hour twice so I branched out farther when I had the opportunity.

I drove down by Hot Springs to lake Quachita a couple days ago to try and get a leg of the Lovit trail in. I had planned on doing a 6.8 mile chunk then back again and some wandering around the campground/damm area for 15 miles or so of riding.

After I got started and did the first couple of MANY brutal climbs I reevaluated things :lol:

I went in for an hour then turned around and came out, ended up being 9.23 miles and almost 2000.ft of climbing. It was much faster coming back as the average grade was considerably downhill on the way back. Tearing along a very rocky trail at a blazing 20mph plus (for me, I won't go that fast often or long) takes all your concentration and attention. I didn't notice my phone was not secure after a mid ride check in with the wife. It bounced out on the trail!

I was too fatigued and the light was beginning to go so I opted to leave it. I figured it was probably gone forever, broken into a million pieces on an Arkansas boulder at the bottom of a gully.

I bought a track phone from At&t (I will NEVER do buisness with them again) but couldn't download the find my phone app as they lock all app downloads to wifi regardless if you have data or are willing to pay overages. It was not a setting in Google, it was baked into the phone. So by the time I got to wifi 20 hours later I had no luck pinging the phone. I didn't know if it was dead or of the battery died during the day or just no signal. I figured it was no signal as the bottom of the ridge where I suspected it to be had no signal on the way in.

So I took off work early and drove down insanely twisty Highway 7 back to the lake.

I should be so lucky with everything in life--- my phone was 50ft from the last road crossing I made. I shit you not sitting face up with %74 battery left still looking for a signal and not a scratch on it. It didn't take me 5 minutes from where I parked the car in the ditch. Unbelievable.

If I would have tried to find it that night It would have been down a gully 3 miles in and I would never have found it! I would have been up past midnight by the time I got back and 4am is too early for that noise $1k phone or not.

So I decided to drive the dirt roads to look around the lake and go up to hickory nut vista the water is super clear, you can see 25ft down or more in most places. Lots of islands to kayak to and camp on. I wish I were working around here I would make it my base of operations and do all of the 60+ miles of trails and kayak all over the lake :)

They have quartz fields all over. I stopped in a couples shop who used to run one of the mines and bought an exceptionally clear piece as a souvenir.

They also have an open to the public diamond mine not far away. I'd like to take my girl down here and let her get dirty digging. People have found valuable diamonds there.

The back side is lake Hamilton.

·
7,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,018 (Edited)
I overheard someone mention new trails on Mt Neebo so I called them up. Yep they have a newly opened 7 mile loop geared mainly towards mountain bikes. That's a good thing really as the bench road is just that an old road and the others are not open to bikes. I trail ran about half and hiked the rest. 90+ degrees and humidity and I had to slow up lest I sweat myself into trouble before I finished the loop.

It's brand new just opened Saturday so no maps, or even good directions to the start. None of the staff at the top have even been on it. It's kind of cool being one of the first to check it out :)

It says 7 miles but that is not accurate. I trust my Garmin it has 2 satellite receivers and predictive software if it loses signal. I always leave it set to high accuracy and it's always been spot on. My calibrated feet also backed up the garmin. At the marked 3.5 miles it lost over a quarter mile as very shortly later it had a marker for 4 miles. It's a new well defined trail with no user made cutoffs etc. I never left the trail. It continued to build on its inaccuracy to the point that is was .38 miles off by the end. Counting my walk to and from the car parked up top I went 7.38 miles so the loop was 6.62 miles. If they are going to err it's good to err short I suppose.

It goes down the West slope of Mt Neebo and has numerous steep switchbacks and jumps etc for the first couple miles until you get to the stream that is it's namesake. At that point it turns into a much more typical Arkansas hike crossing dry rocky streams and climbing ridges through the trees. It winds up a smaller mountain across from Neebo then up through a nook to turn back North and then East following the ridge North and a couple hundred feet below Neebo proper. It then crosses down and up again and does a lot more gradual climb back to the start of the loop. I can't imagine trying the loop the other direction on a bike, that climb with all the switch backs and jumps would be impossible to ride up after almost 5 miles before you started it. I would have to walk up it.

My only concern is that area when bikes are blazing down with hikers around. I really feel they should nix that part for hikers and build another section to the stream just for hikers. I could see a biker taking a blind jump into an unfortunate hiker. I didn't see another soul on that trail on this Sunday late afternoon and evening.

This is one jump that had me pondering. It's a 15 ft drop and a 25ft travel. No way to see anyone unlucky enough to be below in time. I would never do a jump like that, I was proud of myself for doing a 5 or 6ft drop over a 10 foot travel. That's as much as I am comfortable with. I have too many bills to pay to be busted up from a wreck!

1001 - 1020 of 1039 Posts