Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to locate the backup lights relay on my 2015 Highlander XLE. My wiring diagram shows it as being in the driver side of the engine compartment fuse/relay box. The listing on the inside of the cover of this box shows it in the upper portion of the box.

There are no relays in this box! Where do I go from Here?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I am attaching a picture of the inside of the cover and of the inside of the box.

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There may not be a reverse light relay. Relays are typically used for high current things, starters blower motor, headlights, and such. Low current items such as reverse lights generally just have a switch, a fuse, wiring and the bulb. What is the problem that you think might be a relay problem?
Thanks for the reply PVT-PUBLIC. I have the factory Entune Premium with 8" touch screen, NAV and backup camera. When I shifted into reverse a while back, the camera came on as usual, but stayed on regardless of the shift position. The camera image stayed locked in overriding all functions of the system until recently when it intermittently started flashing in and out.

I am trying to understand how this system works so that I can identify the problem. The backup lights work, come on in reverse, go off in all other shift positions as it should. As the camera stays on when lights are on or off, I suspect that the camera is being triggered by another source. I found a wiring diagram that shows a relay identified as "Backup LP Relay, located in "ENGINE ROOM r/b 1, LEFT SIDE 0F ENGINE COMPT".
These new symptoms lead me to maybe a sticking relay?
This is where I am now. I am trying to find someone who is familiar with this system to guide me from here

Again thank you for your reply and would appreciate an help from the "NATION"

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It is underneath the 2nd cover; you had just removed the top cover! It is at the back of the fuse box, under the part that is still covered up, the part that is sticking out at the back!
If the top cover says you have it, it is there. If the top cover don't show it, you don't have it! At least, if the fuse box top cover had never been replaced.
Thanks ECHO, the relay is exactly where you described. If I ever have a need to hide something this is where I would put it. "WOW" Had to remove the brake fluid reservoir and it's bracket to get to the holding clips against the firewall. Relays are as shown on the cover picture except this car does not have the "STOP LP" relay.
The relay function tested good. car in "PARK", backup lights off, car in "REVERSE" , backup lights "on". Pulled the relay, no backup lights and no backup camera image on display. Re-seated relay, lights and backup camera functioning properly.
What have I learned. This relay supplies the power to operate the camera, but does not trigger the camera directly. Just because the backup lights are on it does not mean the camera will be is on. "This camera was on with the backup lights off".
This camera is triggered by another system. Suspect it has something to do with a computer function.
I am not a big fan of things that "FIX THEMSELVES", but I will take it for now. Just hope it keeps working for a long time.
Thanks for all the help. It is appreciated.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
"FIX THEMSELVES"? Were you looking for the relay to fix an issue you are having?
Yes, the rear view camera on my display was staying on all the time. It is now working like it is supposed to without my really identifying or repairing the problem. (FIX THEMSELVES) Needed to locate this relay to eliminate it as the problem. It works fine and functions as it is designed.

Thanks for the followup.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts