Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Sleeping While Awake
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
both my backup lights went out on me the other day. i checked both the bulbs and they're fine. cant seem to locate which fuse runs my backup lights in my repair manual. also, read that theres a backup light switch on the transmission and that could be it as well, but don't know what it looks like or where its located. Anyone have any suggestions as to which fuse im looking for, or where this switch is? thanks

2005 Tacoma X-Runner
9,188 Posts
It's probably one of the fuses that are under the steering column on the dash. Right around where you left knee would be there should be a fuse panel or ashtray/coinholder that you remove to get to the fuses. It will have a diagram on the back of it.

·
Sleeping While Awake
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i took the panel off of the fuse box near my left knee, and the diagram has engine, ign., TAIL, wiper, gauges, stop, radio, cig. and turn. I took the Tail fuse out, and it was fine.:(

·
Sleeping While Awake
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
pulled all the fuses, all are fine, then checked the fuses under the hood, all are fine. i've been scratching my head over this for 2 days now!

·
Sleeping While Awake
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
anyone have any other suggestions?

·
Confused Trouble Shooter
25 Posts
Did you check to see if you had power running to the reverse lights? Also one other possibility is the fact that Toyota boxes are poorly grounded check to see if you have a good ground also.
If you can't get it and you have a good ground and power shoot me an email and I can go further with the troubleshooting.

·
Sleeping While Awake
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
CuriousBuilder said:
Did you check to see if you had power running to the reverse lights? Also one other possibility is the fact that Toyota boxes are poorly grounded check to see if you have a good ground also.
If you can't get it and you have a good ground and power shoot me an email and I can go further with the troubleshooting.
to check to see if i have power running to the lights, i need a voltage meter, correct? where would the ground be? thanks for the help.

·
Confused Trouble Shooter
25 Posts
Sorry about taking so long to reply, you can get 12 volt testers at an autoparts store or hardware store for around 3-5 bucks..... as for the ground issue... when you take the tester hook the possitive lead to some thing you know has power and put the negitive on the body of the bulb holder (where the ground for the bulb is) if you have power you can scratch the ground theory. Also do you have a repair manual? If you need more help private message me and I can rack my brain some more for ya

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'd do everything that the person before me said to do as well as another thing that happened to me with the fuses. I would look at them and determine if they are rusty looking or correded in any way. Sometimes the fuses will be fine but they will not be making good contact with the fuse holders. I'd throw a voltmeter on the metal that the fuses are touching to make sure that the voltage is getting to and threw the fuse. Just a thought. Good luck -Sampson

1 - 11 of 11 Posts