Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have a cheap backup camera that they can recommend? I just bought a cap and I'm having a tough time judging distances when backing up. I searched and found some info but it was mostly about cameras hooked up to a dvd display or similar. I would like something simple and cheap like the $85 dollar camera at Walmart (but is it a P.O.S.).

Bodhi

·
abdiver
2004 4runner V8 AWD
84 Posts
bodhizafa said:
Does anyone have a cheap backup camera that they can recommend? I just bought a cap and I'm having a tough time judging distances when backing up. I searched and found some info but it was mostly about cameras hooked up to a dvd display or similar. I would like something simple and cheap like the $85 dollar camera at Walmart (but is it a P.O.S.).

Bodhi
I just bought the VR3 camera from Costco for $85.00 and installed it yesterday. It works ok but the screen size is only 2.5 inches and I have yet found a good spot to mount it in the Cab. I also have a shell installed and also have problems backing up. So I got the camera Now I am trying to learn how to gauge my distance on backing up and its not easy.

So If anyone has mounting info for the CAB or how to gauge distance's on the viewer I am open to sugguestions

·
Registered
42 Posts
I've seen an 85 dollar kit at Costco that's wireless...I valet at a hotel here in town and drove a hummer with the same kit, looks pretty good. Also, you can search Ebay for some backup sensors...some look better than others and I'm sure you can make them look good mounted flush on the rear bumper. My girlfriend has a cap on her Tacoma and she has a hard time backing up sometimes....would help.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I have the WIRED version of VR3 on my 4Runner. They are OK in the daylight, but can't see shit in the dark. My brother got a $250 kit from Ebay which includes a night vision CCD camera and 5" LCD monitor and it works great, even in the dark.

Jack
06 DC LB TRD Sport
02 4Runner Sport Edition

·
Registered
232 Posts
We purchased my father-in-law the Costco wireless VR3 camera for his Hummer H3 this Christmas. I helped him install it and I wired it so it's powered up at all times, not just in reverse. He simply turns off the monitor when he does not want it on. I was considering purchasing one for my Tacoma, but I was not all that impressed with the quality of the picture. The 2.5" monitor is too small, and the view at night is poor. Like most products you purchase, you usually get what you pay for. It's more of a novelty item than anything else.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If I can get it at costco I my try it out. Very good return policy. I will post a reveiw if I get it. I have to add a pick to that Silver Streak thread anyway.

I don't really care if I can see anything clearly as long as I can see something so I don't hit it.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Is there any way to mod the wireless Costco camera to display on a better screen (in-dash dvd type or other)??

·
abdiver
2004 4runner V8 AWD
84 Posts
bodhizafa said:
Any chance at installing it on the visor somehow?
I have the wireless, but it still requires a power source, right now I am using the DC plug but plan to wire it in soon.

The visor is a good spot but you have to run the power cord somewhere It is a small screen but if mounted close to your eyes it is ok, I have also tried mine at night and my with my rear backup lights I can see fine.

I got it to use on backing up As the Taco has a BIG blind spot with the camper shell on it, and it fixed that.

Now if I could only judge dist's behind me for not hitting other cars/walls/trees.

·
abdiver
2004 4runner V8 AWD
84 Posts
tim.powerbook said:
don't the reverse lights help you see at night?
Yes the reverse lights work good at night, but the rear cab window is tinted dark and so is my shell rear window and with both it is VERY hard to see out of The rear.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I think he was asking if the tail lights help with the camera seeing in the dark. Its something I'd like to know.

·
abdiver
2004 4runner V8 AWD
84 Posts
bodhizafa said:
I think he was asking if the tail lights help with the camera seeing in the dark. Its something I'd like to know.
Yes the reverse white tail lights work well with the camera for me. I am just trying to fig out where to mount the display. I am thinking of wiring it up to my overhead console and have it next to the rear view mirror.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts