Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my reverse taillights dont come on...

its not the fuse, its not the bulb, and its not the wiring on the trunk hinge.

i think its the switch, but is it the Neutral Safety Switch or the Back Up Lamp Switch? Where can i get it cheap, and are there any pics?

·
Banning is an art.
1992 Camry V6 LE
3,269 Posts
Did you try this test? This is from an earlier post....

3. Your neutral safety switch (by the transaxle) is either dirty, needs to be adjusted, or just really worn out. If it's dirty, it can be cleaned. If it's worn out, you have to get it replaced and it's like $450 at the dealership! Try this test...tell someone to stand behind your car and shift through Park, Reverse, and Drive really slowly, of course with your foot on the brake. If the reverse lights come on for a slightest moment, most likely it just needs to be adjusted. It's a matter of loosening a bolt or two, moving the switch, and then retightening it.

·
Registered
camry
583 Posts
you should be testing for ground. i think its a one-wire harness on the transmission near all those harness are at, right infront of the radiator. you might need to remove the cruise control to reach to it.

good luck!!

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
awesome - thanks for posting that pic. I'll look at it in the next day or two when I can get more than half an hour away from work. ;-) and i'll post what I find here on the board

·
Banning is an art.
1992 Camry V6 LE
3,269 Posts
Remember to do the test first before pulling apart that switch. If you really can't find the switch, follow the cable that is connected to your shifter that goes into the switch and transaxle. Basically, tell someone to shift through the gears, you see some cable move in the engine bay...just follow that down. It's connected to the manual shift lever which goes into the neutral safety switch. It's a simple part, but it costs $450 Cdn to replace.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts