Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Live to Win!
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so i searched for some threads about breaks and i didnt find any that quite answered my question. ok so it never fails that whenever i go down one of the hills in my neighborhood that when i hit the brakes the car vibrates and shakes so much i think its falling apart. I started to notice this in other places too. My freinds said to check the brake fluid but i dont know where that is or what to use and im not sure if thats the problem. Any advice?

·
165 Posts
It might be warped rotors, but you should take it to a shop immediately.

·
Registered
93 BMW 525i
395 Posts
If it only occurs under a heavy load or at high speed, you have warped rotors. Its nothing that will cause the car to fall apart (assuming I'm right about the cause), but is quite unpleasant.

Your friend is wrong, its not the fluid.

Sounds like a pad/rotor replacement is in order. Multiple DIYs and part suggestions are floating around.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Refer to your owner's manual for the location of your brake fluid reservoir. Not sure on your year but typically the reservoir is located on the driver's side of the car, near the firewall. Quite honestly, for someone to tell you to check brake fluid for a brake shudder, is kind of odd. Oth, every driver should know where the reservoir is and check it periodically. if low, fill with brake fluid.

As others have stated, you probably have warped rotors and you might get relief if you have them turned. Otherwise, replace them. Another thing to check is worn brake pads. If you have severly worn pads and you are down to the underlying metal pad you might get conditions similar to what you described.

If you are unable to do these checks, you might want to go to a reputable mechanic and have him look at rotors and pads.

Gary

·
Premium Member
'96 Camry XLE
11,246 Posts
Tip #1: Tell your friends they are retards, and NEVER in your life let them touch your car.

#2: Go get new Rotors as other said, most likely warped, pushing the pads back and forth, hence the vibration. If the Rotor's still have a lot of life, just get them resurfaced. Will be cheaper.

·
Registered
98 Camry XLE V6
3,116 Posts
it's surprising how many cars out there suffer from warped rotors. most if not all of my friend's cars that are over 5 years old have them.
You should definitely get new rotors and pads.

If that still fails look into wheel bearings.

My friends always thought it was cool to wash their car right after its been driven because the rotors steam when hit with cold water...well now they all have warped rotors...smartasses.

·
Toyota Camry Vienta CSi
Toyota Camry Vienta
188 Posts
^

Hahahahaha :hammer:

As everyone has said, its warped rotors. Lol Im prity much a noob and I have no idea why someone would say the brake fluid :thumbsdow

·
Registered
11 Posts
hey guys what rotors do u recomend? i need to replace mine as well, should i just get the oems? and where is the cheapest place to get them?

·
Registered
98 Camry XLE V6
3,116 Posts
although they may fit they're not for your year camry...

well i would recommend brembo blanks but i dont think you're looking to pay the price for that.

you could just get rotors from your local autozone. Theres quite a few places to get rotors. I've read and seen some rotors from NAPA that are actually pretty nice.

edit: i've gotten some parts off of partstrain.com before
http://www.partstrain.com/products/...655122/1996~TOYOTA~CAMRY~4~2.2~CAM-3-001.html

i dont know how good the rotors are but i imagine they work just fine.
I did the search for a 96 camry i4 japanese sedan.

edit AGAIN:

looking at the page a 2nd time it appears they have brembo's on sale!
http://www.partstrain.com/products/...996~TOYOTA~CAMRY~4~2.2~CAM-3-001.html?index=3'

if you have trust issues with that site i just checked tire rack for you too, and the regular brembo blank discs are indeed just 33 bucks each. I would definatley go with those. You'll like them.

http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/resu...autoModel=Camry+LE&autoYear=1996&autoModClar=

·
Live to Win!
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ok well the brake pads were checked not too long ago (couple months) and it doesnt happen when theres a heavy load or at high speeds. its just that damn hill and sharp turns. but its still the rotors? and yes my freind is quite retarded

·
Registered
98 Camry XLE V6
3,116 Posts
haha hes just car challenged.

well if that's the case then it sure sounds like the rotors.

if you can find an open area try braking semi hard from 45 to just before a complete stop. during that time it maybe helpful to have a passenger tell you if they felt the braking was smooth or jerky or wavy (like in a rolling earthquake).

If its smooth to you and the passenger then it's something else.

·
Premium Member
'96 Camry XLE
11,246 Posts
paintedtrain said:
and yes my freind is quite retarded

:lol:

I'd almost bet it the peddal does pulsate on hard brakeing, BUT, you are too buys paying attention to your driving to realize it. Pay close attention next time and see if you feel it.

All vibrations I have ever had on my car while braking were the Rotor's being warped. I actually just changed the Original Rotor's on my Nana's Rolla after 16k miles because they were warped.

·
Registered
11 Posts
ASG14 said:
:lol:

I'd almost bet it the peddal does pulsate on hard brakeing, BUT, you are too buys paying attention to your driving to realize it. Pay close attention next time and see if you feel it.

All vibrations I have ever had on my car while braking were the Rotor's being warped. I actually just changed the Original Rotor's on my Nana's Rolla after 16k miles because they were warped.
sorry to jack the thread but, my pedal does not shake, its just the steering wheel vibrates like crazy, like u cant even hold it, it hurts lol!, and the whole car shakes vilently, at anything above 15mph.....and from like 45-5 its a really bad ordeal, and the harder i press the break the more the rumble....

·
Registered
98 Camry XLE V6
3,116 Posts
LOLL wow. you need to get your tires balanced asap.

you may also have warped brakes

you may also have bad wheel bearings. get your tires balanced first. (i hope you havent just recently got them balanced...).

·
Premium Member
'96 Camry XLE
11,246 Posts
^ Damn. You REALLY need to replace them, BAD!

·
Live to Win!
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
well on the same subject sorta maybee? i was wandering if there is anything to keep the alighnment solid so it doesnt screw up? and how much are the disks or w/e that is warped cost to replace if i do it myself?

·
Registered
98 Camry XLE V6
3,116 Posts
no. technically you're alignment gets messed up once you drive off of a drive way or over a speed bump or over a pot hole. Places like wheel works offer a sort of life time or extended free alignment once you do it once with them. I believe at wheel works i have a 12 month or 10,000 mile unlimited alignment. So if i hit a pothole hard or if i just feel my car drifting off to the side i can bring it in within that time and not get charged.

did you not see my post up above? i have given a few sites with replacements. you can get brembo replacements for about 33 each before tax/shipping.

·
Registered
2002 Camry
2,231 Posts
Tip #1: Tell your friends they are retards, and NEVER in your life let them touch your car.
Ironically that advice would apply to most of the mechanics i've seen in the last few years :lol:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts